Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Bush administration incompetence

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Well, Bush lovers, who do you blame for this one: the Bush administration that set up the Department of Homeland Security or the contractors? Or can you find a way to deny responsibility, as you often do, and blame Clinton? Good luck!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060727/pl_nm/security_contracts_dc_1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A dependence on no-bid contracts and inadequate oversight have contributed to extensive waste and misspending at the Department of Homeland Security, The Washington Post reported on Thursday, citing a congressional investigation.

In the latest report on the agency's spending, U.S. government investigators found problems involving "significant overcharges" or "mismanagement" in 32 DHS contracts worth a total of $34 billion, the Post said.

The findings were to be released on Thursday. The Washington Post said it had obtained a copy of the report.

According to the newspaper, the bipartisan congressional report says an explosion of no-bid deals and a critical shortage of government contract managers created a system prone to abuse.

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

No defense from this quarter. Most conservatives predicted this from the get go. Large centralized groverment programs like this are prone to overspending. Too bad libs don't apply the same standards to the massively wasteful social programs they cherish.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2005
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Not sure what evidence you have that social programs are massively wasteful, unless of course you simply oppose helping the needy. Your claim sounds like a conservative talking point, nothing more.

4. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDavUG54n0&search&=nuke#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4TPmfW5PS0&search=Bush Politics#

$$$$$$$$$320 BILLION IN IRAQ NO WMD's Democracy propped up by the U.S. and without us, it's not looking promising.....At least were building schools, you know how the liberal media never talks about schools in the U.S.or IRAQ

$$$$$$$$$$$34 BILLION SQUANDERED IN D.H.S., That video of bush and the nuke right below you is Enlightening now? ehhhhh CLINTONS FAULT....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Well if we look at the War on Poverty Trillions have been spent with result of more single mothers and many children being born into an underclass that is trapped by the poverty bureauracy.

That has been a demonstrable failure.

6. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I read all the time about the fraud & waste that happens with government social programs. You're living in la-la land if you think that all the money that's supposed to go helping the poor & needy actually gets to them. These departments hire their family members as expensive consultants, use government credit cards for personal purchases, and abuse the system just like in every other aspect of government. It's not like the people who want to enrich themselves at our expense would purposly avoid certain government departments.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Look at the words of the late Pat Monihan, your partisan nonsense has nothing to do with the porblems caused by these disasterous programs, this is a 40 year old failure not any particular administration.

8. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So you're technically right... but that's not what the conversation was about.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Of course there's fraud and waste, but I'm not sure how massive it is relative to the size of the programs. I've known many people in government and business, and have found them to be quite honest. Plus, there are quite a few checks in big government agencies thanks to various scandals of the past.

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

So why do think the DHS would be different????

This involved a lot of pork for the "first responders" ie the city workers unions, and we know who they support politically. Most conservatives understood why the politics happened and weren't infavor of it. I would rather have more for the military to kill the terrorist. The best defense is a good offense.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2005
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Mostly because I think Bush has been utterly incompetent with regard to getting things done and with regard to spending money.

Are you just making it up or do you have evidence? Actually, I think your point is a bit ridiculous since unions don't negotiate contracts. Employers do.

As long as its your kids not dying over there, I suppose it's easy to be for war for some people. And as long as you look at war like a football game, you can safely insulate yourself from the price of war.

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I went into the military as did my brother I don't need to be lectured by you about other peoples kids dying, I have first hand experience of my friends I served with being wounded and killed.

You OTOH apparently don't understanding the concept of sacrificing for your country you get to sit in the peanut gallery and criticize those who protect you sorry butt.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

patsfan13, I do understand the concept of sacrifice, but I also understand that the military teaches people that they are always fighting for a good cause and that their sacrifices are always for their country. Those are lessons that soldiers want to believe, especially when asked to go into battle. But, when you're not a soldier (and I presume you're not any more) it makes more sense to think as a member of the public than as a member of the military. The military has its own perspective, part of which is necessitated to maintain loyalty and focus and part which is a byproduct of living the military life.

14. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

My big disappointments with Bush and the Republicans in general are.

1. Too much spending. The republicans in control of the congress are no better than the Dems when it comes to pork projects. We have a war to fight and they are spending on stupid projects and some agencies are as badly mismanaged as they were when the Dem's had them.

2. Not securing our boarders and ports. After 9/11 there should have been a draft of 150,000 - 200,000. These draftees would not have been part of our regular military but used to seal our boarders and ports. The money saved on illegal alien programs would have paid for that.

3. Not reforming Social Security and Medicare. Both programs are going broke and we can't be feeding them with higher taxes.

4.Tax reform. Have a flat tax combined with a national sales tax.

5. Not standing up for a national energy policy which would include more drilling (yes, in the Artic), more refineries, and more nuclear power plants. All this, while hybrids develope as a viable alternative to gas powered vehicle.

6. Not firing Rumsfeld. He did not plan well enough for after the military victory over Saddam's army.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Waste and over spending are symptoms of a bloated government - period. There is absolutely no partisan differences as Clinton and Bush have so aptly demonstrated for the last 14 years. Poverty continues to rise, working folks don't go to the doctor because they can't afford it, and the world is going to hell again. This country has the ability to make a difference for itself and the world, but it refuses to address the core problem: Not big government - ENORMOUS GOVERNMENT!

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I agree on all these points. I would however attribute 3,4,5 to fillibusters in the Senate and the wussy RINO;s in the Senate.

17. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And its gotten bigger in the past 5 years than in any point in our modern history...by any measure. More spending than at any point in the Democratic-majority Congresses of past, more corruption, more pork.

Yet, those unfaithful to their party's roots still vote for these pseudo-conservatives for one of three reasons:

1) they are willfully ignorant of politics and vote against their own interest, based on some snake oil salesmen pitch from the enormous GOP campaign coffers

2) they are profiting enormously from the redistribution of wealth under Bush's imperialism

3) they are religious fanatics and devoid of any independant thought

18. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Do you have any idea how stupid your reasons sound? Not only stupid but very arrogant.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Trying to say it is worse now than before is nonsense. Not to let the pubies off the hook here, they are guilty as charged. Currently spending as a % of GDP is lower than during the salad days of the Clinton era. This is a result of the Growth of the economy overall.

The difference between the left and right is we'll criticize our guys when the don't do the right thing, the left always spins. This thread is a prime example. The righties have criticized the Bush spending policies the lefties spin how they were better when at best it is a push when it comes to enlarging goverment (I am being extremely generous here).

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Bull, my man, bull. I see some conservatives spin facts all the time, and I see some liberals do the same. They're both called 'dishonest', and they're dishonest because they have something to gain (they're making money from their politics). But there's nothing in our limited life experiences that could convince me that "more liberals" or "more conservatives" do it, you just pay attention to one over the other.