PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More BS on Cassel geting pulled thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: More BS on cassell geting pulled thing

Can somebody explain what they were talking about on WEEI this morning? Dale said once the 3rd QB comes in, Brady is prohibited from returning? I never heard this before in my life but I guess it would explain why Cassel was yanked and threw Brady back in before Guitierez took the field.

Can somebody explain what they were talking about on WEEI this morning? Dale said once the 3rd QB comes in, Brady is prohibited from returning? I never heard this before in my life but I guess it would explain why Cassel was yanked and threw Brady back in before Guitierez took the field.
The rule is this....IF in the 3rd Quarter or before, the emergency QB is used (Gutierrez) neither active QBs can play in the game from that point on. That is only for Quarters 1, 2 and 3....NOT 4.
In the 4th he CAN bee used without that penalty. Cassel was in the 4th, so this rule does NOT appply. Another case of so called knowledgeable sports people knowing nothing...Iam surprised Holley did not know...as he's on top of things a great deal. Basically, the rule is there to get an emergency QB in the game IF QNs are injured...and the rule is used so that it will ONLY happen in a real emergency. I ahve only seen it come into play once, and that was in a Pats Jets game...when Tupa was with them. (laye 90s?? Pete carroll era??)

The rule is this....IF in the 3rd Quarter or before, the emergency QB is used (Gutierrez) neither active QBs can play in the game from that point on. That is only for Quarters 1, 2 and 3....NOT 4.
In the 4th he CAN bee used without that penalty. Cassel was in the 4th, so this rule does NOT appply. Another case of so called knowledgeable sports people knowing nothing...Iam surprised Holley did not know...as he's on top of things a great deal. Basically, the rule is there to get an emergency QB in the game IF QNs are injured...and the rule is used so that it will ONLY happen in a real emergency. I ahve only seen it come into play once, and that was in a Pats Jets game...when Tupa was with them. (laye 90s?? Pete carroll era??)

Yeah they didn't seem too coherent this morning, thanks for the explanation. I still find it to be an odd rule though. If they've decided the starting QB has done enough but the backups are blowing a lead, what sense does it make for Brady to have to sit there and potentially watch his team lose after playing what is as close to a perfect game as we've seen from him?

Oh well, I believe Guitierez will be the #2 before long. Cassel blew the kick snap earlier in the season, and then that mess yesterday. Not good considering how little is expected of somebody who is playing with a large lead.

I still find it to be an odd rule though.
The thing is, the emergency QB doesn't count toward the 45 man gameday roster. A team could carry their third QB on the regular gameday roster and not have that restriction, but it's worth it for the extra roster spot.

Yeah they didn't seem too coherent this morning, thanks for the explanation. I still find it to be an odd rule though. If they've decided the starting QB has done enough but the backups are blowing a lead, what sense does it make for Brady to have to sit there and potentially watch his team lose after playing what is as close to a perfect game as we've seen from him?

Oh well, I believe Guitierez will be the #2 before long. Cassel blew the kick snap earlier in the season, and then that mess yesterday. Not good considering how little is expected of somebody who is playing with a large lead.
It's not that odd though...the emergency QB is just that...only to be used in such cases. It's a way to prevent a team using that option as a stop gap measure then brining their starting QB in. A team usually has 2 active QBs...so?? AND it is onlt for Qs1-3....in the 4th, it doesn't matter. They could have brought Gutierrez in in teh 4th Q...when cassel gave one away..and had NO penalty. A team shouldn't be going to an emergebcy 54th player in the 3rd quarter UNLESS there are injuries. Having cassek in is one thing..sort of in relief...but the Emergency QB is just used for that purpose.

Just to be clear--there is no rule preventing free substitution between the starting QB (Brady) and the backup QB (Cassel) at any point in the game. The only issue is if the emergency QB (Gutierrez) comes in before the start of the fourth quarter.

Just to be clear--there is no rule preventing free substitution between the starting QB (Brady) and the backup QB (Cassel) at any point in the game. The only issue is if the emergency QB (Gutierrez) comes in before the start of the fourth quarter.
Absolutely....none..the problem is with the Emergency QB who is NOT part of the active roster of 45...that is why there is a rule. IF for some odd reason, they gad 3 QBs as part of the 45, you could bring any in whenever.

Funny;

How come no one mentions that the Dolphins used all 3 time outs at the end of the game?

They were down by 21 - why not run out the clock?

were they tring to score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye