PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Browns Implosion: Banner and Lombardi Stepping Down

Cleveland is in a great position to improve their club thanks to Lombardi's stockpiling.Yet.... It seems you believe Haslam is making wises choices ALL OF A SUDDEN. Are you basing this on the broken clock theory?

I don't see how Lombardi was "stockpiling" the colts called them up and give them a first round pick for a bad RB that deal would have happened with any GM and Lombardi was ready to trade Josh Gordon at that point in the season before he got hot that would have been a bad move and I think a lot of people are over rating the two games that Brian Hoyer played in he throw 3 INT's vs a bad Vikings team and had a nice game vs cincy where the browns defense only gave up 6 points,

all the pro bowl talent they have on that roster was there before Lombardi and IMO they still would have been a none playoff team even with Hoyer for a full season

I don't see how Lombardi was "stockpiling" the colts called them up and give them a first round pick for a bad RB that deal would have happened with any GM and Lombardi was ready to trade Josh Gordon at that point in the season before he got hot that would have been a bad move and I think a lot of people are over rating the two games that Brian Hoyer played in he throw 3 INT's vs a bad Vikings team and had a nice game vs cincy where the browns defense only gave up 6 points,

all the pro bowl talent they have on that roster was there before Lombardi and IMO they still would have been a none playoff team even with Hoyer for a full season

Pittsburgh Steelers: Acquire pick No. 111 in 2013.
-- At No. 111, Pittsburgh selects Sharmarko Thomas, S, Syracuse

Cleveland Browns: Acquire Steelers' third-round pick in 2014.

Indianapolis Colts: Acquire pick No. 139 in 2013.
-- At No. 139, Indianapolis selects Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin

Cleveland Browns: Acquire Colts' fourth-round pick in 2014.

Picks that the Cleveland Browns have in the 2014 NFL Draft:

1st Round Pick:

1st Round Pick (IND):

2nd Round Pick:

3rd Round Pick:

3rd Round Pick (PIT):

4th Round Pick:

4th Round Pick (IND):

5th Round Pick:

6th Round Pick:

7th Round Pick:

7 picks in the first 4 rounds of a draft that's being called extremely deep and talented.

I see this being true. Its the same story with all of BB protégé's minus Dimitroff in Atlanta.

They all want to be power hungry, my way or the highway jack asses. I've heard this same story about Pioli, McD, Mangini...People tolerate it when your winning, but tone you out the minute the ship starts sinking.

I love McD, and Pioli, but BB gets away with it because long before he won Super bowls here, he was a well respected coach during his time with the Giants. Too many copy cats, not enough originals. Kudos to Dimitroff, for being original and succesfull. You can tell hes from the school of Belichick but incorporates his own thoughts on things.

I see this being true. Its the same story with all of BB protégé's minus Dimitroff in Atlanta.

Yes, pretty sure it is true.

Everyone can stop arguing about whether Lombardi and co was effective, and read the back story article. I have heard in several sources that Lombardi and co were forced onto Haslam by the NFL at the time of acquisition. It was only a matter of time before he could get rid of them and get his guys in there. Not too difficult to comprehend.

They all want to be power hungry, my way or the highway jack asses. I've heard this same story about Pioli, McD, Mangini...People tolerate it when your winning, but tone you out the minute the ship starts sinking.

I love McD, and Pioli, but BB gets away with it because long before he won Super bowls here, he was a well respected coach during his time with the Giants. Too many copy cats, not enough originals. Kudos to Dimitroff, for being original and succesfull. You can tell hes from the school of Belichick but incorporates his own thoughts on things.

I see what you are doing here...... AND IT'S B-S !!!

- Your backhanded slam of BB is unwarranted. There is no evidence that supports BB as 'power-hungry' or a 'jack-ass' at least to anyone INSIDE THE FOOTBALL OPERATION (media and NFL execs [Go-to-Hell] the specific exceptions - if I have to spell it out for you).

Everyone who has spent time inside the organization (and succeeded) and most who did NOT succeed say BB's public (media-established) and private (to the team) persona are 180 degrees out of phase.

Granted, he is a my-way or the highway kind of guy. But in the sense that he has a set of ground-rules and if you can't work within that; he doesnt need you. That IS NOT A bad character trait. It is NOT that he is whimsically throwing down rule changes and jerking guys around unnecessarily. He is trying to get a large organization to maintain a corportate identity and culture (a winning culture by the way). And every year he has to winnow through about 100+ guys (who actually made the practice roster / 200-400 when considering draft possibles) and CUT DOWN to the guys who can contribute. That is a BUSINESS CULTURE (nfl) that is geared to 'My-Way-or-the-Highway'; not a BB culture.

Also, just because 3 "protege" guys failed at ONE-STOP on their NFL careers; doesnt mean they are what you say they are [or 2 of 3 anyway (I'll give you Man-genious)]. Hint here, EVERY NFL GUY gets FIRED (probably about 5 -8 times over the course of an NFL career). The old team usually talks bad about them (only [some] retirees or guys like Reid go out with no whispers and back-stabbing).

And finally if it were true (of those 3), that isn't necessarily reflective of ALL HIS PROTEGEs; but a reflection of those 3 guys human failings. Maybe it is THEIR OWN PERSONALITY without the influence of BB that caused them to be jerks (which again I dont agree with for Pioli & McD).

McDaniels got fired for following Mike Shanahan's weirdness in Denver with a no-nonsense approach during a purge/rebuld that rubbed people the wrong way. How'd Shanahan do when he took over in Washington?

Mangini was trying to succeed with a Jets team that's the worst team in AFCE history, and with a Browns team that's been a dumpster fire since its inception.

Pioli got fired for being a hardass in K.C. and having a down season in what should have beena good rebuild season. This season, the expected bounce back happened, but how was it any better than 2010, and how did Reid and Dorsey do with their offseason acquisitions besides Alex Smith?

Reid will be able to keep that team going because the base was put in place by Pioli and Edwards. Shanahan's already gotten the axe.

It's not about those guys being BB proteges. It's about being a hardass following a soft, or inconsistent, coach, and not winning right away. Ask Tom Coughlin about it. It's not as if Strahan's been quiet about that situation.

PFT posts...according to Peter King....BB lobbied Haslam placing two calls to the Browns owner on behalf of Greg Schiano.
Now I realize BB has more street cred than just about any NFL exec/coach....but.....the fact is Schiano has never been on a BB coaching staff... SO exactly what is BB basing his endorsement on.....he liked the way Schiano coached up his long snapper son at Rutgers? He love Schiano's organizational skills during the two day joint practice in the summer?
Maybe BB wanted to undermine McDaniels' candidacy?
Maybe BB wanted to do the City of Cleveland a solid considering past history?
Or.........maybe BB wanted to stick it to Cleveland.....Didn't BB endorse Lombardi for Cleveland? Why not create another toxic environment between fans and the team? Oh....that BB....evil genius!! :)

Just another rotten apple off the Belichick tree. People like to use that against him for some reason, that all of his proteges suck everywhere else, but really, it should enhance his legacy. It's all him.

Too bad they couldn't take that putz McDaniels off our hands before Lombardi got canned. Now we're stuck with another 32 PPG offense in the regular season that wets itself in the playoffs and scores 17.

PFT posts...according to Peter King....BB lobbied Haslam placing two calls to the Browns owner on behalf of Greg Schiano.
Now I realize BB has more street cred than just about any NFL exec/coach....but.....the fact is Schiano has never been on a BB coaching staff... SO exactly what is BB basing his endorsement on.....he liked the way Schiano coached up his long snapper son at Rutgers? He love Schiano's organizational skills during the two day joint practice in the summer?
Maybe BB wanted to undermine McDaniels' candidacy?
Maybe BB wanted to do the City of Cleveland a solid considering past history?
Or.........maybe BB wanted to stick it to Cleveland.....Didn't BB endorse Lombardi for Cleveland? Why not create another toxic environment between fans and the team? Oh....that BB....evil genius!! :)

Yeah, I have no idea where Belichick gets the Schiano fandom from. They've never coaches together, I don't think Belichick has any ties to Rutgers what so ever. Seems strange.

I see what you are doing here...... AND IT'S B-S !!!

- Your backhanded slam of BB is unwarranted. There is no evidence that supports BB as 'power-hungry' or a 'jack-ass' at least to anyone INSIDE THE FOOTBALL OPERATION (media and NFL execs [Go-to-Hell] the specific exceptions - if I have to spell it out for you).

Everyone who has spent time inside the organization (and succeeded) and most who did NOT succeed say BB's public (media-established) and private (to the team) persona are 180 degrees out of phase.

Granted, he is a my-way or the highway kind of guy. But in the sense that he has a set of ground-rules and if you can't work within that; he doesnt need you. That IS NOT A bad character trait. It is NOT that he is whimsically throwing down rule changes and jerking guys around unnecessarily. He is trying to get a large organization to maintain a corportate identity and culture (a winning culture by the way). And every year he has to winnow through about 100+ guys (who actually made the practice roster / 200-400 when considering draft possibles) and CUT DOWN to the guys who can contribute. That is a BUSINESS CULTURE (nfl) that is geared to 'My-Way-or-the-Highway'; not a BB culture.

Also, just because 3 "protege" guys failed at ONE-STOP on their NFL careers; doesnt mean they are what you say they are [or 2 of 3 anyway (I'll give you Man-genious)]. Hint here, EVERY NFL GUY gets FIRED (probably about 5 -8 times over the course of an NFL career). The old team usually talks bad about them (only [some] retirees or guys like Reid go out with no whispers and back-stabbing).

And finally if it were true (of those 3), that isn't necessarily reflective of ALL HIS PROTEGEs; but a reflection of those 3 guys human failings. Maybe it is THEIR OWN PERSONALITY without the influence of BB that caused them to be jerks (which again I dont agree with for Pioli & McD).

Umm you see ****!

I'm one of BB biggest nut huggers that walks this planet. My intention with my post was by no means to dog BB, but to point out I've read the same article with Pioli in KC, McD in Denver, and Mangini and now Lombardi at Cleveland (at different times)

All those guys either lost the trust of the locker room, or higher heads above them. And all have gotten run out of town.

Just another rotten apple off the Belichick tree. People like to use that against him for some reason, that all of his proteges suck everywhere else, but really, it should enhance his legacy. It's all him.

Too bad they couldn't take that putz McDaniels off our hands before Lombardi got canned. Now we're stuck with another 32 PPG offense in the regular season that wets itself in the playoffs and scores 17.

They scored 43 against the Colts in this year's playoffs, and 41 against the Texans in last year's playoffs, but we'll just ignore that because it doesn't fit with the rest of your thoughtless raving, right? ;)

Yes, I should have said, they're good enough to pound the pretenders like the Tebow Broncos, Texans, and Colts, but once they get to the AFCCG and Super Bowl, they'll wet themselves, even against the stinky 2013 Broncos defense or the mediocre NYG twice.

What is your fascination with McDaniels? What does he do well other than ride the coattails of his all-time great QB? He bombed out in Denver and St Louis. Does he make good adjustments? No, if a team starts off well against his gameplan, he can't do anything. His brilliant gameplan in the Broncos game was to attack their secondary with the pass even though the Pats had no good receivers. He sucks.

Browns fans are loving it

Lombardi and Banner gone, Farmer new GM - THE BROWNS BOARD - THE BROWNS BOARD

It's amazing to read this thread in their messageboard. Banner being ousted is one thing. His record is awful wherever he's been. But I'm surprised at how the fans really hated Mike Lombardi ("Scumbardi.")

Lombardi was always one of the most level-headed and seemingly connected former front office guys on NFLN and I thought he'd bring a measured approach to the Browns' development.

Haslam is out-Jerry Jones-ing Jerry Jones. Being the front man on the firing of the head coach and then hiring a new one only to sack his front office and bring in a new guy that the coach has to report to after he was hired by Lombardi and Banner. This is chaos.

If you're the Bengals, you have to love this. Just as you make the stride to the top of the division, the Browns implode, Joe Flacco wrecks the Ravens salary cap, and the Steelers need a serious overhaul at several key positions.

It makes me appreciate the Patriots' stability at the top and their approach to addressing aging position groups in what appears to be a methodical, planned way. Major issues (Aaron Hernandez) do not upset the apple cart in New England because they know how to put things behind them and move on.

As far as Chudzinski not being Bill Belichick, Belichick wasn't 'Bill Belichick' back in 2000, either. He was a coach who, right or wrong, was perceived to have failed at his first stop, and who had gone 5-11 in his first year on his new job (after the previous coach was fired for going 9-7).

Actually, they had gone 8-8 and finished last in the East (5th) because of a 2-6 record in the division after starting 4-0, 6-2 at the bye. After that they dropped 6 of 7, averaged 12.5 PPG and were out of it.

blah blah blah fantasy football nonsense blah blah blah.

Good defenses are able to stop good offenses.

SHOCKINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

defense wins championships, not offense.

Just ask the broncos, they got blown out by a team that averaged in the 20's

Yes, I should have said, they're good enough to pound the pretenders like the Tebow Broncos, Texans, and Colts, but once they get to the AFCCG and Super Bowl, they'll wet themselves, even against the stinky 2013 Broncos defense or the mediocre NYG twice.

Wow. On what planet were the 2007 and 2011 Giants "mediocre?"

Welcome back NEM
You were not missed

Wow. On what planet were the 2007 and 2011 Giants "mediocre?"

Come on man. Those Giant teams were far from Juggernauts. They were 10-6 and barely squeaked into the playoffs in 2007 before getting hot all the way to the SB where they got very lucky to pull out a slim victory. They in '11 they lose their last three regular season games and squeak into the playoffs at 9-7 too, again, get hot all the way to the SB where they (yet again) got lucky and pulled out another narrow victory.

The 2013 Broncos were not a good defense, yet they still held the Patriots to 3 points before garbage time. Pathetic. And no, the Giants weren't a particularly great defense. Great front four and that's it. Weak linebackers, weak secondary. You watch them vs the Seahawks, it's not even close.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back