PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Belichick, Patriots in the NFP

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the beginning of hte year they started Sanders at FS while BM acclimated. Then Rodney got hurt. Rodney has started every game at SS when he was healthy. BM developed and shows a big up side, and now BM is FS. Sanders is SS and has yet to show he can do the job IMO. People who cliamn that a defense that was horrible against the pass (esp stopping big plays) and lost two of its greatest palyers in Vrabel and (likely) Harrison is somehow better now than it was last year because they have two new corners have some sort of special knowledge I suppose. THe defense is not "complete". It is improved at CB and nowhere else.

What on earth is happening to this place over the past week?

but neither Woods nor Sanders were starters when Vrabel and Harrison were healthy

This statement is factually incorrect. It's not subjective. Sanders was starting even when Harrison was healthy. End of story.

Last edited:
I thought you would understand that Sanders did not start in place of Rodney (at the position he now plays). Can we move on? Replacing Harrison with Sanders is not an improvement.

I thought you would understand that Sanders did not start in place of Rodney (at the position he now plays). Can we move on? Replacing Harrison with Sanders is not an improvement.

Look, your argument was wrong and you refused to just admit that. Moving the goalposts was what you did, not me. Hell, you STILL haven't admitted that you were wrong. The reality is that it was Meriweather who wasn't a starter when Harrison was healthy, and the Harrison replacement wasn't Sanders.

I know Harrison is not currently signed, but I find it likely that he will be. Also, have you considered the possibility that Springs may play at safety if needed?

Harrison is clearly on the down side of his great career and has had injuries problems over the last couple of seasons. I don't know if Sanders is an upgrade or a downgrade at this point, but I don't think Harrison is end-all solution at safety.

Neither do I think James Sanders is responsible for the subpar performance of our defensive backfield last year.

Technically, they were all to blame, including a less than stellar pass rush up front. If I had to choose, I would put more of the blame on last year's CB's, not last year's Safeties.

Last edited:
Mack, I think you are completely missing the intent of the article. Lombardi is not saying the pats are done, but rather is saying the if the Patriots season started today, without a draft, they could field a full, competitive team. You may not prefer Sanders at SS, but he did start 14 games there last year.

Now, the Pats might draft a SS and start him there if he beats out Sanders, but it's a luxury they have. Other teams simply don't have any SS on their roster, and must draft one in order to field a team come this fall. See the difference?

At the beginning of the year they started Sanders at FS while BM acclimated. Then Rodney got hurt. Rodney has started every game at SS when he was healthy. BM developed and shows a big up side, and now BM is FS. Sanders is SS and has yet to show he can do the job IMO. People who cliamn that a defense that was horrible against the pass (esp stopping big plays) and lost two of its greatest players in Vrabel and (likely) Harrison is somehow better now than it was last year because they have two new corners have some sort of special knowledge I suppose. The defense is not "complete". It is improved at CB and nowhere else.

No it is significantly stronger now. In 2008 they had rookies Mayo, Guyton, Crabel, Wheatley Willhite and untested Meriwether, Richardson Lekevin and Woods. They had an all Pro HOFer, trying to return from injury in Richard Seymour. They had newcomers Jason Webster, Deltha O'Neal and Lewis Sanders totally unfamiliar with their teammates or the playbook.

Today they have Richard Seymour all the way back with his 8.5 team leading sacks and team leading 16 pressures, in 2008. Mayo, Meriwether, Le Kevin and Woods were tested and proven to be at least adequate players. Guyton, Willhite Wheately and Richardson with a little experience.

Bodden has played this system even if not with the Pats. TBC knows the system and can play as a spot starter, too. Springs is a newcomer who has to prove his stuff, but he appears more talented than last year's vet DBs. Bill should know, and he is paying him a lot more.

More importantly the Offense has a now feared and very deep running game, to go with the awesome passing game. Along with a league MVP QB, too. They have a genuine, real blocking TE too, to help that clock killing and Defense resting while off the field, now passing and running Offense.

It so true that Vrabel is is gone, but Bill must have decided that Vrabel was losing it. Welcome Woods Redd, Crabel, TBC, and the expected drafted newcomer to try and fill his shoes. AD has come back from his broken arm. Rodney's best days were in 2006 and 2007, He was a shell of his old self, in 2008.

So they are more talented and deeper at DL, OLB, ILB, S and CB and on Offense at QB, OL, TE, and RB than in 2008. They are less certain and possibly weaker at WR. What's not to like? :eek:

I'm going to shamelessly pat myself on the back for a moment. :snob: Yesterday I wrote:

And today Lombardi wrote:

Therefore I proclaim Lombardi a genius. ;)

Nice work. A forward, clear thinker not obsessed with winning petty arguments - you're my kind of poster. When can we start dating?:D

Also, the best defense is a good offense. Maybe what's his name... oh yeah, Brady can help.

I feel that the best defense is...the defense that is best.

The highest-scoring team in league history did not win its league championship, again.

Tom Brady walking through that door is not going to help a defense that still has no pass-rush whatsoever, but at least the CBs should be able to cover a little better - IF they can stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back