PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Assante musings

RFA CBs this year that should become UFAs after this year.
Carroll, Ahmad
Gay, Randall
Brooks, Greg
Adams, Blue
Sapp, Benny
David, Jason
Jones, Nathan
Reeves, Jacques
Smith, Keith
Sams, B.J.
Hutchins, Von

Much of the disagreement I see on these Assante threads centers around the question "how good is he, really?": i.e., does his elite play in 2006 make him elite, or do we need to downgrade him for prior years when he wasn't as good?

I consider him in that top-5 tier. Our eyes were not deceiving us last season. He mutated into flypaper, and his performances improved game over game. He not only got huge INT's and passes-defended, including all 3 playoff games, but they stopped throwing over there.

Think about those playoff games. Against the Jets, he peels backward off his man to steal a pass intended for someone else's man. Against the Chargers, he knocks down the key 3rd down pass to force a punt leading to our winning drive. Against Indy, he makes one the most amazing INT's I've ever seen: superb anticipation, quickness, body control, and hands. Manning could not believe it.

It takes some guys (most guys, really) about 3 or 4 years before they really get it and really hit their stride. That's what happened to Assante last year. He blossomed. Teammates reported that he became more vocal and more of a leader in the huddle, and his play rose with it.

The biggest reason we don't all see it is that he was an unknown 4th rounder from a small program. He really didn't show flashes until 2005.

I'll say this: the GM's all around the league know that the chances of him backsliding are slim and none. Plus he's never hurt and learned the game from the master. He's definitely worth a mid-1st, straight up.

Last edited:
CB Nnamdi Asomugha of Oakland, one of the best young cover CB in the NFL, has the right to void the final year of his contract after this season. Given the contracts handed out to CB's lately, he most certainly will.

However, he is going to cost a lot of money. I just think he should be added to this list of available CB after this season.

It is not tampering since Samuel is free to negotiate with every team in the NFL.

Good point, my bad.. but Assante already probably has an offer from another team on the table..

I consider him in that top-5 tier. Our eyes were not deceiving us last season. He mutated into flypaper, and his performances improved game over game. He not only got huge INT's and passes-defended, including all 3 playoff games, but they stopped throwing over there.

* I'm not posting this to contradict you, but I'd be curious to see stats about how many TD's he gave up, receptions and for how many yards, missed tackles, etc. and what his, and other players "negative" stats are. As far as I know they aren't found anywhere, but I'm sure the Patriots know.

I'm also curious about how many tagged players actually played for the tag money for the year, how many were signed longterm so the tag was removed or were traded, etc.

do u honestly think the 49ers would trade for Asante and have 2 CBs that take up 20 mill per year alone?

Seems to me we're where we were about two months ago -- "Franchise to trade."

And it only took one good story in the press to get us there.

Hey, if he really thinks he'll get that money, that's where we are. I can not see the Pats offering 30M guaranteed. Just based on history here, folks.

Otherwise, he'll have to wait a year to test those waters, whether he plays or not. With all that entails - injury risk, having to go to work for a measly $7.8M/yr, etc.

So what we know is:
- He's a very good corner, capable of playing strong side.
- He has trended upward in his first three years in every way.
- He is not, by most accounts, the best in the game.
- He probably won't get the deal he's saying he wants, as of early April.
- The season starts in early September.
- Nobody in Foxboro really enjoyed the Branch situation.
And that's about it.

Q to capologists: what guaranteed money is Samuel worth to the Patriots? That is, if tomorrow morning we wake up, with weeks of negotiating accomplished overnight, and reach the final deal (in other words, the best deal for Samuel that the Pats will accept,) what does it look like?

Are we talking about, say, 5 years, $35M, $21M/3 years guaranteed (7M/yr)?

Do we think the Pats are open to opening up the "club" of highly paid guys to that point? Beyond that point?

Inquiring mind here. NAME YOUR SAMUEL PRICE!

PFnV

True, but history shows that when things get to the point they're at, a trade is a pretty likely outcome.

There's no question that multiple teams are talking dollars with him, but it's easy to talk dollars until compensation to the Pats comes into the equation. Then those offers disappear fast.

If a trade happens, it'll probably be with a team that has some extra picks. That's why I like SF. Anyone know what their CB situation is?

If these teams were SERIOUS about the money, they'd have been talking to the Patriots about compensation.

Hell, maybe that should be put in the Franchise rules, that before a Franchise player can talk to another team, the other team needs to come to an agreement on what the draft pick compensation is going to be.

BTW, IF Asante has gotten an offer that would pay him 10 million in each of the next 3 years, than that is the equivalent of a HIGH 1st rounder in 2 consecutive drafts and the other team should have ponied up the picks already.

They most certainly did NOT stop throwing at Samuel. If they had stopped throwing at Samuel, his Passes Defensed wouldn't have been UP. His INTS wouldn't have been UP and his TACKLES wouldn't have been UP. Because he wouldn't have been near the plays.

* I'm not posting this to contradict you, but I'd be curious to see stats about how many TD's he gave up, receptions and for how many yards, missed tackles, etc. and what his, and other players "negative" stats are. As far as I know they aren't found anywhere, but I'm sure the Patriots know.

I'm also curious about how many tagged players actually played for the tag money for the year, how many were signed longterm so the tag was removed or were traded, etc.

I know that Walter Jones and Orlando Pace each played under the tag for 2 years before a long term deal was reached.

Good point, my bad.. but Assante already probably has an offer from another team on the table..

Then let him sign that offer and let them pony up the picks or comparable compensation for him.

If he's not willing to do it or the team isn't willing to pay the compensation, then, in my opinion, it IS tampering because they are artificially driving the price. Sounds like tampering to me.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back