Welcome to PatsFans.com

More Admirals than ships.. the beat goes on.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 5, 2013.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

While the media generates great outcries over government spending, the military continues to suck up vast amounts of resources and these stories become section b, page 2.

There are currently 963 Admirals and Generals commissioned in the armed forces... each with a palatial house on base, servants, drivers, private C-40 jet and private chefs. Their entourage usually costs the tax payers 1 million dollars annually. There has been a 12% in Generals/admirals increase in the past decade, and at one time the military command structure was descriped as a pyramid and now it is described as a skyscraper.

The line between general/admiral and defense contractor is often blurred, and upon retirement they just move to another office dealing with the contracts that they wrote..

The Military is budgeted for over 500 million dollars for bands alone, imagine the legacy costs??

The military operates 234 golf courses around the world a undisclosed costs, however it is known that the US owns a golf course in South Korea valued at $26 million...

Simple fix, close the golf courses, make arrangements with local golf course for reduced rates.

There will be those who say we do not have enough ships, the reality we have more than enough ships.. ships are more efficient than ever, so it is not as much about quantity, but quality.

‘Brass creep’: Navy has more admirals than ships

Then of course there is Guantanamo which burns through cash like nothing, and of course they are sending more medical personnel there which will add to the cost.. the overall cost of incarcerating these non adjudicated men exceeds 150 million..

Guantanamo camp burns through $900,000 a year per inmate | Reuters

2. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Guess that's the way the Federal Govts. way of saying "Thank you for your service" to all the old time Veterans.....

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

By promoting them to Admiral and then funding their million dollar entourage??

Nice that you support this military cronyism...... more is always better.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah. I get the sarcasm.:rocker:

5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +713 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I think the military is looking to self-correct the issue with the "up or out" provisions and whatnot. In about 20 years, we could have almost the opposite problem; too few qualified admirals and generals.

Right now, the Army (I can't speak for the other branches) is having difficulty retaining officers beyond their first hitch. The call of the private sector is just too great. This is contributing to the skyscraper effect, as it is called.

What you're seeing now is an echo from the bloated Cold War era.

6. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +625 / 14 / -6

#87 Jersey

Are you naive? We need those fleets to stop the armada of ships from our deadly enemies!

U.S Military Spending:

672 billion

North Korea:

10-15 billion

Iran:

7.4 billion

Syria:

2.26 billion

How would we ever stop a three-pronged secret naval assault from our world enemies?

7. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +713 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Of course, it is worth noting that a billion goes a lot further in North Korea than it does here. That said, there is a ton of fat to trim in our military budget. We could probably field a military of comparable strength at a much reduced cost.

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

You might want to check China which is now over 100B, doesn't have the over head cost of the US military (ie we pay our guys), and whose defense spending is increasing by double digits each year.

9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There is no such thing as too few generals or admirals. It's the captains and colonels who get the work and fighting done. Generals and admirals can easily be replaced by politicians and and actors. We worship and reward the top brass too much- always have. Someday they, like fighter pilots and tank commanders, will be replaced by computers and robots who work for free.

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

China...a country with ZERO tendency to invade or provoke war in modern history and spends 1/7 of what the US does. Yeah.

I'd be careful. They're overdue for sure.

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

The ChAmerica paradigm has severely undercut the value of military threats back and forth between the two nations. At heart, they want to sell us stuff.

I'm not saying that will always be the case. I'm saying that's the present paradigm, and it's very different from the cold war paradigm for which many here still pine.

PFnV

12. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +625 / 14 / -6

#87 Jersey

I echo Wistah and PatsfaninVA, patsfan13. China isn't an enemy, we need eachother too much economically. Besides, it doesn't change the thread topic, insanity of our military spending in ways such as navy.

13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

How much of their budget goes to salary/benefits compared to the US budget?

You must be ignoring the current dust up with Japan and their continuing demands to take over Taiwan.

14. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I thought it was China that wanted Taiwan.:confused:

15. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

China has the same problem now that they have always had, they have the people and the weapons but no real way of moving them. One of the main reasons the US military is so powerful is because of how fast we can move men and machines around the world. That and many innocent people our drones can kill while calling them suspected terrorists ;) how much fun it will be when everyone has drones, even the terrorists :)

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

Guess some missed these comments, that we squeeze out mid level officers at the expense of the admirals and their million dollar entourages..

Read more at ‘Brass creep’: Navy has more admirals than ships

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

OMG OMG what if you can 3-D print a drone OMG OMG all you need is a real real big printer and gigantic polymer spools but you could 3-D print the gigantic printer! OMG OMG!

18. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +713 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Skynet?

Oh, I didn't say "too few", I said "too few qualified". Big difference. There might be some empty uniforms up there, but the one general I do know personally is a pretty busy person, but you do allude to something in your post. Generals and admirals do dabble a bit too much on the political end of things.

19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

Were it the civilian side of the federal government, we'd just call this "grade inflation."

People who did the same level of the work just used to be called colonels (or captains, in the navy, I guess, though I am sort of unclear on whether there's stuff between captain and admiral. What's a commodore? Please no gifs of lionel ritchie...)

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

Except on the civilian side the rank does not come with a million dollar entourage, complete with beautiful home, servants, cooks, drivers, music ensembles and access to private jets... "Brass Creep"...

I think a commodore is more associated with a yacht club than with the military..