Welcome to PatsFans.com

Morally Deficient Las Vegas Council Bans Public Feeding Of The Homeless

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 22, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +588 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

http://civilliberty.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=civilliberty&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lasvegassun.com%2Fsunbin%2Fstories%2Fnevada%2F2006%2Fjul%2F20%2F072010285.html

A 3-part stuggle between the homeless, poor and businesses. I would think our society could do better than this.

Though not perfect, the city of Providence, RI has tried to help these people in areas outside the center of the city but close to it. Like I said, not perfect but there has been money spent to improve how these people are helped as opposed to the banning of helping them.

This is John Edwards main issue if he runs for President...it's my main issue also...one of the biggest reasons I like him.

Myself...i had what I thought was a good idea and I never even received a response from my local leaders. My idea, was that for every new project, every new building, $$$ should be earmarked to improve facilities for the poor.

Like adding room for beds, increasing food supplies or remodeling kitchens to cook more food. Many of these people make money using tax breaks and such. so they could use their tax break money to get additional tax breaks on money that was never theirs anyways in many cases.

A civilized society lives in fraud if that society cannot force the $$$ makers to do the right thing. No project, building anything that requires something being built gets going without the right signatures.

If these people want the poor moved elsewhere then I say make that somewhere else better than what they have now...and I'm sure they would gladly go to those places. If they are still in the central city somewhere and there is adequate Public Transportation.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This should be struck down by the courts - a noncommercial transfer of food should stay outside the realm of what government may control.
  3. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow!! Gambling and questionable nightlife is fine!!
    Helping some of the least fortunate people in our Gambling Mecca is a punishable offense.. Thats some messed up priorities..
    I have donated clothes and other belongings to the salvation army, along with food drives and personally have helped homeless individuals..Glad I am not in las vegas, otherwise I would be communicating on this forum from the gray bar motel.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +588 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I would be cast as a covert then :cool: ...I keep 5's and 1's in a pouch on my visor for the people who ask for $$$ at red lights and stop signs.
    I am flaunting what they want covertly:rolleyes: .
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  5. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I gave them a few bucks and change in the 80's and became aware that the money was spent unwisely...That's why since then it's food and clothes... Kinda like why all gov'ts shouldn't supply weapons to terrorist even if those terrorist are attacking yor enemy like back in the 80's in afghanistan or good ol saddam now there some LOL Righty talking points;) dON'T WE HAVE A THREAD ABOUT DEM'S AND SADDAM??? Gives me new thread creations ideas:singing:
  6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any board members approve of this law in las vegas that feeding the homeless in city parks is punishable with a fine or jail time??
  7. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

The only chance they have to keep the law is that it only applies to activities within the City owned park. If the 9th circuit can say that the State of California can not rent a public park to the Boy Scouts, then I guess you can pass a law forbidding feeding the homeless in a city park. What they should really try to remove is the Mexicans handing out the hooker brouchers on the strip!

That being said, I would much rather give the "homeless" food than money, at least this way they aren't using it for drugs/booze.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The city is a government entity and the constitution applies to them as well. The boy scout decision is based on completely different grounds that don't come close to applying here (the decision was that the boy scouts are a discriminatory organization and the state can't give them special treatment because of it).
  9. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

10. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I never argued in favor of the Boy Scouts decision, though it had nothing to do with pedophiles. The issue was over them excluding gay SCOUTS. Surely a 10 year old boy scout isn't a pedophile... unless you think all gays must be pedophiles. Do you, FTW?

But for someone who's supposedly trained to read case-law, you're really connecting apples and oranges.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's a very interesting point... the law requires people to make a snap judgement over whether someone is homeless or not (the law gives a few guidelines that people should use). That right there is enough to have the law thrown out.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  13. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think there are quotes being misattributed in this thread. If you're looking for my answer, no, I don't think it's close to acceptable to ban feeding the homeless. It's repugnant.

As to who the homeless are, I don't know what you mean by that question.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  15. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Maybe some of the posters here, work for the New York Times!!!!!
  16. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No I am refering to FreeTedWilliams, I allready read your belief on this issue and I agree with you...

If FTW will elaborate on his opinion without tossing in the cubscouts and other ingredients it would be easier to focus on the original topic.

FTW will you elaborate on the questions asked?

Who are the homeless?

And do you agree that people should not donate food to the homeless in city parks? Be informative so we can exchange dialogue and begin a debate.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ok, now I wanna make it real clear that this excerpt is from a post one page back. If anyone thinks I may have tinkered with the tone or content by selective quoting, you're welcome to go look at the original for yourself.

That being said, I'd like clarification as to how this little gem isn't saying that all gay people are pedophiles?

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is PO'd at the Boy Scouts for not wanting Pedos to be troop masters. No one, not Al Franken, Not Michael Moore. You can't find any extremist lefty out there that would argue that child molesters should be allowed to run boy scout troops. The disagreement comes when gay males, who have no more interest in sex with little boys than straight males have in having sex with little girls, are denied.

So please FTH, a little clarification if you would? You really don't think all gays go after little kids do you?