Welcome to PatsFans.com

Montana Governor Foments Real ID Rebellion

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He is better than I originally thought!!!!

Montana governor Brian Schweitzer (D) declared independence Friday from federal identification rules and called on governors of 17 other states to join him in forcing a showdown with the federal government which says it will not accept the driver's licenses of rebel states' citizens starting May 11.

If that showdown comes to pass, a resident of a non-complying state could not use a driver's license to enter a federal courthouse or a Social Security Administration building nor could he board a plane without undergoing a pat-down search, possibly creating massive backlogs at the nation's airports and almost certainly leading to a flurry of federal lawsuits.

States have until May 11 to request extensions to the Real ID rules that were released last Friday. They require states to make all current identification holders under the age of 50 to apply again with certified birth and marriage certificates. The rules also standardize license formats, require states to interlink their DMV databases and require DMV employee to undergo background checks.

[​IMG]

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/montana-governo.html

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Thank god for Montana!

3. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm respecting him more and more all of the time.

Privacy is a big deal in my opinion.

Call me a conspiracy nut, but I LOVE my privacy... or whatever is left of it!

4. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

privacy? What privacy are you referring to?

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it's amazing when you watch the Reich Wingers squawk desperately about state rights regarding issues that displease them, but then crow loudly for federal control and subjugation in their faux war on terror ...

mark my words, the Hill will vote on national ID cards by the end of the year... but of course, we're all "crazy" for predicting their grand plan of a new world order...

"at what point did YOU acknowledge the truth?"

6. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I know...

Elvis, I mean, privacy has left the building.

7. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Agreed...

For me, it was back in the mid 90's.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

I haven't read the Real ID Act, and therefore don't have an opinion on that specific bill. What I will say though, is that there should be some minimum requirements for a drivers license, since it is basically the certified form of identifying yourself as an American. I am a firm believer in states rights, but licenses should only be given to citizens, and should have disclaimers on them if they're given to anyone who is not. With 10-20 million illegals running aorund the country, and with some states handing out licenses to those people, there is no choice but to lay down some federal guidelines. I don't want a national ID, nor do I support one. I merely want licenses given to citizens, and if they are not, then I want them to have disclaimers on them. By disclaimers, I mean something that stipulates illegal, resident alien, etc. just like they say "Under 21" on them.

9. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Police state here we come (actually, it's already here)... unless you're illegal alien. Then, you can do whatever the hell you want.

You know, because you're going to be the new work force and all (they tend to work for slave wage).

The next step after this; the chip.

Track and trace.

Middle class R.I.P.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

It truly boggles my mind that any state government would give an ILLEGAL ALIEN a drivers license. These people are DUI'ing our citizens to death with a license to do so.

11. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Get that cheap labor mobile....

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

It's not cheap labor. It's subsidized labor. That's the thing that most people don't understand. The only people who it's cheap too, are the people who hire them and save money. To the rest of us, it's just as expensive, if not more. When a company gives an IA $8 or $10 an hour, you & I pay all the benefits, while the company swallows the profits. All that while blue collar wages for the lower & middle class are severely depressed. Even worse, is that most contractors still charge you the $40-60 rate for their $10 illegal, as they do their $20-25 citizen worker. The Middle Class takes it where the sun don't shine from all angles.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think that was his point.

In any case, unless we are under seige, at war (real war) or face some similar type of prolonged emergency, a national ID can only enhance government control of our actions, particularly when that ID cnan be scanned for tons of information. The day is coming very soon when our license plates will be transmitting information about our movements that will eliminate the need for toll booths and speed traps. It's the government's aim to know as much about us as possible, and the national ID is just a piece of the equation. It has nothing to do with our "security".

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Oh, I wasn't necessarily writing that to say he wasn't saying that, I just typed it for the purpose of conversation.

Well, if you've got an EZPASS, then you've pretty much put one of those license plates you speak of on your car. :( I don't have one, and won't ever get one either.

I don't want to come across as someone who wants a National ID, as I absolutely oppose it. My only desire is to see that licenses are given to citizens, or people who are here legally, and have the right to drive. Anyone who is not a citizen, say a Resident Alien for example, should have that disclaimer on the ID. When people see a state issued drivers license, then assume legality. A license is a key to all things America. It should therefore only be given to the people who are supposed to be here.

15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Agreed all around...

16. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's also extremely easy for hackers to gather financial info for their identity theft operations.

It's NOT a good idea...