Welcome to PatsFans.com

Money Discriminates Against the Blind ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Nov 28, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/28/D8LMC4600.html

"The government discriminates against blind people by printing money that all looks and feels the same, a federal judge said Tuesday in a ruling that could change the face of American currency.

U.S. District Judge James Robertson ordered the Treasury Department to come up with ways for the blind to tell bills apart. He said he wouldn't tell officials how to fix the problem, but he ordered them to begin working on it."

I guess we have nothing else to spend money on. Man, things just get stupider and stupider.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

It's not that crazy an issue. The government periodically redesigns money to discourage counterfeiting, so maybe during a redesign they could consider the needs of the blind.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'd agree that this is a dumb issue for a federal judge to be involved in, but how come nobody at the US Treasury or Congress thought of this before? The Euro bills are all different size, is it so hard, or do we just not care about a problem if it doesn't directly affect us?
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's nutty. Almost everything "discriminates" against the blind or deaf. We can't re-design everything for everyone.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're right, but like Bill Belichick says: you fix what you can control and the stuff you can't control you have to let go. So we might not be able to design a safe car for the blind, but money is easy.
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

American Currency Unfair To The Blind (another moron liberal)

Are you kidding me...? Who is the retard liberal that made this ruling...? Apparently the way we currently print currency is "unfair to the blind" because they have no way of differentiating one bill from the next. And some liberal moron judge (and yes, he is a liberal, go look it up if you don't believe me) wants this oppressive practice to stop. He doesn't know how to fix the problem but, dadgummit, it better be fixed and soon.

You can take this moronic logic and extrapolate that basically anything anyone does that involves sight discrimates against the blind, so that activity must be halted immediately.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/28/D8LMC4600.html
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Re: American Currency Unfair To The Blind (another moron liberal)

There's no way Patton makes the team.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, money isn't easy. One of the problems the treasury department has is if they conform with the federal judge's orders, it will make American currency easier to counterfeit.

This is just more liberalism out of control. You will never find a bigger threat to common sense than liberalism. Like how drive-thru ATM's are legally required to be equipped with braille.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

A Clinton appointee, what did you expect from him... otoh, every Gov't bldg has to be handicap accessible, overall there are so many adjustments made for the handicapped so why shouldn't money be friendly to the blind, a simple fix is to make it different sizes and maybe different weights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Robertson_(judge)
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Specifically how would it make money easier to counterfeit?
    Do you know any blind people? I don't, but can imagine how difficult life would be for them. I think different-sized bills would be good for everyone as well as the handicapped. Nothing wrong with trying to help disabled people. Are you against helping anyone at all? Blind people are not any more lazy, criminal, stupid, ugly, than you are.
    Gotta ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?"
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

LOL. I'm sure you won't find a link to support that absurd statement (except maybe at an equally absurd right-wing site). You don't even know how the treasury department would conform to the judges order. Would they do it by inserting a tactile element, by changing the sizes, by changing the shapes, by adding holes, or even something else.
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where do you pull this sh!t from? How is it going to make it easier to counterfeit? I can think of an easy solution: braile dots in the corner. Most of us wouldn't even notice they're there. How about some good ol' American ingenuity?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

There different sizes for a number of reasons. Namely, because the older generation is extremely uneducated, and one of the ways to ease the ontroduction of a new currency and corresponding values, was to make bigger=more. My parents are both italian immigrants, and I've been to Italy every year since was born. So I have an idea of what I am talking of. One of the problems with the currency having different sizes is handling it. When you have a 5 Euro to a 500 Euro being used regularly (they do not have a 1 Euro in paper currency), the size differences become an issue. A 100 Euro bill doesn't come close to fitting in a wallet. Plus, with size being an attribute, the EU had to eliminate 1 dollar paper currency in favor of coins. This was a bad idea. They use 1 & 2 Euro coins. Everytime you go out, you come home with 3 pounds of coins in your pocket, and it tends to be about 15-20 Euros in cash. Really sucks.
  14. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Good God, when will these people ever learn?

Do you really think that any changes on paper money will hlep the blind? Honestly if they added some raised feature to the money, by the next day, counterfiet versions of it would be out.

Did anyone see Ray? He used to demand to be paid in ones so he could count the money.

With the introduction of debit cards, cash is becoming obsolete, execpt in the criminal world. I bet that the blind use debit cards in lieu of cash as it is, this is another ridiculous ruling, once again, judges "just making stuff up"
  15. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where did the counterfiet bullcrap come from? The money would look exactly the same but have a few raised dots. Nobody's saying that you remove all the other safeguards, you just add some dots or change the size of some bills.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

ROFL! Now THAT is funny!
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

I don't think we need to make this an issue of not wanting to help people. I'm kinda getting tired of people using that as a criticism of those in here who don't want to blank check anything that may "help" someone. If we could, we'd all like to put a million more cops on the street, or send every kid to Harvard, but realistically, such is not practical. The issue for some with currency and the blind, is whether or not a complete redesign of our currency makes sense. It seems as if their have been blind people since the dollar was introduced, so somehow they have managed to survive until now. I'm not sure if they've experienced massive hardships or not, and I am curious. The question from me is, would the costs, both physical and financial, be worth the level of improvement that might be gained with a redesign?
  18. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

We are talking about counterfiets aimed specifically at the blind. You wouldn't even have to bother with any of the other engravings, just counterfeit the dots and hand the blind guy a stack of them made on decent paper. The point is that if they did go to the expense of adding a feature for the blind, it would quickly become useless, or untrustworthy at best. They have pocket size document scanners for the blind for this very pupose. The GSA employs many blind people in federal buildings and they usually work at the snack bar. You just put your money into the scanner, it reads it aloud (a voice sill say one dollar, ten dollars, etc.) and the guy gives you your change. It seems to work well for them. It is basically the same scanner that is in every Coke machine in the country, so it can not be that difficult to find.

In the immortal words of Harry Callahan, "a man's got to know his limitations"

Their are certain obstacles that the blind must deal with, and you simple can not burden society with curing all the ills of everyone in the world.

What's next, are they going to sue GM because they don't make cars that the blind can drive?
  19. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have to admit I've never considered the hand-held scanners option, that might actually be a better idea than redesigning currency.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Wow, never knew they had pocket size scanners for the blind.

http://www.brytech.com/noteteller/index.htm

[​IMG]