PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Monday Night double header...

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone else has posted this or not, but i am going to anyways. Dr. Z on SI.com reported on a MNF DH for this football season. This is the first time I have heard about this. Match that up with the fact that espn is supposedly wanting to have football on thurs.(on occassion) and fri, sat, and sun. What the hell is going on here? If this happens, then I for one, am totally against it. Sure it increases my chances of seeing televised pats games on the west coast, wait...isn't that why I bought NFL sunday ticket? Football is my release at the end of the week. It's my time to sit back from a hard week, drink with some friends and have a heart attack while watching my boys play. Saturday is for college ball, and Thursdays and Fridays are for high school ball. I never thought id say this, but thats just too much damn football. :mad: I guess i dont have to watch it, but unfortunately, if it's on; I probably will. GOD help my Wife.

You know, it's fascinating - soccer in England has gone through a process like this. It used to be that all games were on Saturdays at 3pm, with also a full schedule of games on Tuesday nights during the better weather parts of the season.

Satellite TV came along, paid huge money to boradcast live games, and soon we had Sunday games and Monday night games.

That wasn't enough for the TV guys, and now two of Saturday's Premiership games are on Saturday, at midday and 5:30. There are two on Sundays. Monday night has a game. And some lower division games get shown live on Friday night.

At first, I think most of us soccer fans loved it. But after just a few years, most of us feel like there is simply too much soccer live on TV, and the less attractive match-ups are hardly watched. It has also made the traditional Saturday afternoon rather anti-climactic, when only a handful of the Premiership games are actually played then. Some of the 'magic' has definitely gone.

Everything has been spread out and diluted, and I suspect that English soccer will have to get used to receiving lower bids for TV rights in future.

As long as I can watch all 16 Pats games, I could care less. The only time I watch other games is in the playoffs. (or regular season games of heavy consequence to the Pats)

Last edited:
I don't like it for different reasons. Schedule shenanagins where let's say the NFL schedules the Pats vs a key opponent, let's say Indy, who's well rested and the Pats play Thursday w/o time to install an effective gameplan. Dilutes the quality of the product.

I thought they were kicking around a DH for the Thursday night opener. One would be held in Pittsburgh and the other likely held in Seattle.

The NFL is watering down the game. Sunday's at one! That' s when you play the game.

Murphys95 said:
The NFL is watering down the game. Sunday's at one! That' s when you play the game.

The last Sunday @ 1 Pats game I've been to was in 2001 (Browns), actually.

I went to a preseason Pats/Eagles game in 2004, then the Colts/Pats Thursday night opener. In 2005, I went to the Saints/Pats preseason, followed by the Colts/Pats Monday night affair, and finally the Jags/Pats playoff game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye