PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Monday Morning QB, no mention of Jets tampering

Joker and others have done so on numerous occasions. Your inability to allow new information to alter your perspective once you've made up your mind makes re-posting that information futile.
So you claim there is a 'mountain' of evidence, I say great, show me, and you refuse saying I am closed minded. Hilarious.

Regretfully, my bladder capacity and urination prowess are not much greater than average, so I will be unable to partake in a 20+ page argument with you on this issue. Were the source credible, I would apply more effort to countering this absurd "victim mentality" claim, but as it is, I have already dedicated more effort than is warranted in this situation.

Have a nice day. :)
Said like a true victim.

League meetings are next mon-wed (22nd-25th). The dump will be on the 27th so Goodell can deflect questions during that time. I DO expect draft pick compensation but picks will not be flipped until the comp picks have been announced and draft order set. That would actually make sense.

There's no way Goodell can rule no compensation and save face with the 2 previous rulings out there. The fact that the player in question actually went to the team in question leaves no doubt. The only swap of picks this year that could be remotely workable and justifiable would be in the 4th.

If the OTC projections of 3 picks being awarded at the end of 3rd are correct, we'd be looking at getting #104 for #131. The Jets have no 5th or 6th and our 7th is higher than theirs.

If tampering with, and getting, the tampered player will only cost a swap of 4th round picks, I would expect Andrew Luck to be the Rats' next tampering target.

They have already tampered to acquire a HOF HC and future HOF CB, why not go with what you know and get your future great franchise QB this way?

You're missing the point. The NFL's decisions should be just and appropriate. That has nothing to do with the media.

What should happen and will happen isn't always the same. I think you are unlikely to see a Spygate overreaction. Just not going to happen.

Good Friday is coming up. That is my target date for them to dump all the punishments and the Wells Report.
Or this Friday when March Madness monopolizes the sports media

If tampering with, and getting, the tampered player will only cost a swap of 4th round picks, I would expect Andrew Luck to be the Rats' next tampering target.

They have already tampered to acquire a HOF HC and future HOF CB, why not go with what you know and get your future great franchise QB this way?

If only a 4th, Kraft should have some fun with the league office and have a press conference stating that when TFB announces his retirement, the Patriots approach is to make a public announcement designating the best remaining QB in the league coming up in FA as being their targeted QB in FA.

Yes, this post is reason #1001 why I'm not cut out to be an NFL owner

My line of thinking is this-the Briggs case was a swap of 3rds (6 spots) and in the Cunningham it was a swap of 5ths (15 spots). The swap of 4ths (27 spots) would be the harshest punishment to date but not so above and beyond his previous rulings. If it were a swap of 3rds we'd be talking #70 for #96, and if you go by any run of the mill trade chart would be quite a bit more severe and the rookie draft pick wage scale backs that up as a commodity barometer for draft picks.

As for Johnson tampering again, I would assume you would have to escalate the punishment as a deterent or even suspensions included.

Unfortunately the topic is not significant. It never will be. The three day sudo free tampering period makes all this talk about tampering just a blip on the radar and really something the NFL cant defend penalties for. The NFL isnt taking it seriously anymore and I dont think anything at all comes of it. What they are going to investigate is if Revis had a deal prior to the start of FA, prove it, good luck, not if Woody said something in public. This is a non-story. Wish it was better news but no one cares but some fans.

Dam the Pats just won the SB, its over, nothing changes that. we should be happy campers.

Revis was never staying anyway.

My line of thinking is this-the Briggs case was a swap of 3rds (6 spots) and in the Cunningham it was a swap of 5ths (15 spots). The swap of 4ths (27 spots) would be the harshest punishment to date but not so above and beyond his previous rulings. If it were a swap of 3rds we'd be talking #70 for #96, and if you go by any run of the mill trade chart would be quite a bit more severe and the rookie draft pick wage scale backs that up as a commodity barometer for draft picks.

As for Johnson tampering again, I would assume you would have to escalate the punishment as a deterent or even suspensions included.
Were this just one instance of simple tampering, a swap of 3rds would be excessive. That said, Woody was warned earlier in the season about Tampering. He then did it in a press conference, followed it up with tampering before Revis was a free agent, then signed Revis to a huge deal. This is the most blatant example of tampering that I've ever seen, to a future HOFer and "best-of-his-generation" CB , and it was after he had already been warned. The punishment should be significantly more than the examples that have been cited.

It's funny, when the NYJ commit a blatant tampering offense, much of the national and local football media brush it off as "everyone does it, its not a big deal," but the Pats film some signals from the wrong place - something that "everyone" does - and they should be put to the sword. F#cking pathetic.
I doubt anything comes of the NYJ tampering case....

Were this just one instance of simple tampering, a swap of 3rds would be excessive. That said, Woody was warned earlier in the season about Tampering. He then did it in a press conference, followed it up with tampering before Revis was a free agent, then signed Revis to a huge deal. This is the most blatant example of tampering that I've ever seen, to a future HOFer and "best-of-his-generation" CB , and it was after he had already been warned. The punishment should be significantly more than the examples that have been cited.
If that's how it plays out I'd be thrilled. I'm just tempering my expectations to what would seem reasonable from an unbiased point of veiw based on previous conclusions. I agree it does warrant stiffer punishment given the fact that it's an owner and it was so blatent.

We shall see. If it's a punishment that doesn't benefit us than I don't think anyone will be able to argue that a "victim mentality" is unwarrented. I'd be p!$$ed.

We shall see. If it's a punishment that doesn't benefit us than I don't think anyone will be able to argue that a "victim mentality" is unwarrented. I'd be p!$$ed.
It is not a victim mentality to disagree with a ruling. It is a victim mentality to cry about what you think the ruling will be before it even happens, and wrap it up in a blanket of conspiracy, paranoia, and bias.

If that's how it plays out I'd be thrilled. I'm just tempering my expectations to what would seem reasonable from an unbiased point of veiw based on previous conclusions. I agree it does warrant stiffer punishment given the fact that it's an owner and it was so blatent.

I read the MMQB from King this week just to get a bead on what the league would probably do. His failure to even mention the new investigation leads me to believe that the Jets will receive little to no punishment.

I read the MMQB from King this week just to get a bead on what the league would probably do. His failure to even mention the new investigation leads me to believe that the Jets will receive little to no punishment.

When have the Rats had more than a slap on the wrist whole Goodell has been Omissioner?

This is not a rhetorical question.

I know they were allowed to investigate themselves, at least initially, and they fired Sal Alosi. What punishment did the league hand down?

When have the Rats had more than a slap on the wrist whole Goodell has been Omissioner?

This is not a rhetorical question.

I know they were allowed to investigate themselves, at least initially, and they fired Sal Alosi. What punishment did the league hand down?
I don't think there was any punishment handed down by the league to the Jets. It was that incident that led me to question my belief that the NFL office wasn't biased.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the topic is not significant. It never will be. The three day sudo free tampering period makes all this talk about tampering just a blip on the radar and really something the NFL cant defend penalties for. The NFL isnt taking it seriously anymore and I dont think anything at all comes of it. What they are going to investigate is if Revis had a deal prior to the start of FA, prove it, good luck, not if Woody said something in public. This is a non-story. Wish it was better news but no one cares but some fans.

Dam the Pats just won the SB, its over, nothing changes that. we should be happy campers.

Revis was never staying anyway.

Revis was not a FA. The 3 day period did not apply to him. That's a big difference.

It's "pseudo"

And this is a surprise?...

I expect the NFL to use a Friday late afternoon news cycle to dump all their "gates". I still don't know what to expect for them all: DeflateGate, TamperGate, NoiseGate, TextGate.

NothingGate for all but the first one, which will be WeKnowTheyDidSomethingButWeCan'tProveItGate.

I don't think there was any punishment handed down by the league to the Jets. It was that incident that led me to question my belief that the NFL office wasn't biased.

The initial response by the Jets was to suspend Alosi and fine him $25K. The league later fined the Jets $100K for the incident and for Mike Westhoff publicly accusing the Patriots of doing the same thing.

Rex Ryan and Mike Westhoff maintained that they had no idea what Alosi was doing, even though Jeff Cumberland, a practice squad player that year, said they had been doing it all season (The Miami game was the 13th game of the season). When you watch the clip, Alosi and the practice squad players are lined up right next to Ryan and the Dolphins player landed right in front of him. The league accepted their explanation and the media never questioned how a head coach could have this happening on his sideline for 3 months and not notice.

I bring this up because, with the ball deflation story, there was a disbelief in the media when Belichick said he was not aware of all the steps in the ball preparation process. Peter King even wrote that the footballs had to be tampered with by human hands and that was the only explanation. Somehow, Rex Ryan and the Jets escaped this level of scrutiny.

The initial response by the Jets was to suspend Alosi and fine him $25K. The league later fined the Jets $100K for the incident and for Mike Westhoff publicly accusing the Patriots of doing the same thing.

Rex Ryan and Mike Westhoff maintained that they had no idea what Alosi was doing, even though Jeff Cumberland, a practice squad player that year, said they had been doing it all season (The Miami game was the 13th game of the season). When you watch the clip, Alosi and the practice squad players are lined up right next to Ryan and the Dolphins player landed right in front of him. The league accepted their explanation and the media never questioned how a head coach could have this happening on his sideline for 3 months and not notice.

I bring this up because, with the ball deflation story, there was a disbelief in the media when Belichick said he was not aware of all the steps in the ball preparation process. Peter King even wrote that the footballs had to be tampered with by human hands and that was the only explanation. Somehow, Rex Ryan and the Jets escaped this level of scrutiny.
Thanks for the refresher. I remember the pic showing Rex right next to them. I forgot that they got such a large fine, but they should have lost picks for that infraction.

The part that is so aggravating is that Goodell said he believed Rex and Westhoff, but did not believe BB in CameraPlacementGate, even though BB's explanation of his interpretation of the rule is reasonable; if the rule was intended to allow no taping, then why is the phrase "during the playing of the game" in there?

So when people say the seriousness of the punishment proves the seriousness of the offense, they are commenting on the results of the whims of one man, the Omissioner.

So if this one man believes Rex and Westhoff, that proves the Rats did nothing wrong?

One very biased man, and former intern of the team he exhonerated, gets to be judge jury and executioner and gets to decide the fates of both franchises.

What if he said he believed BB and didn't believe Rex and Westhoff? Their explanations are pretty shaky, and since when does the league initially allow a team to investigate itself for an offense committed against another team?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back