Welcome to PatsFans.com

Monday Morning Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Warren=underrated, May 1, 2006.

1. Warren=underrated

Warren=underrated Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A collection of random thoughts on the draft:

#1: One of the best things about this draft, IMO, is that we didn't take a center. That implies the rumors about Koppen being done are BS, which makes me very happy. Ditto us not drafting a SS early, which implies RH's rehab is coming along as well.....maybe he won't start the season on the PUP list afterall.

#2: Chad Jackson must be a great player if Belioli was willing to trade up for a receiver of all things.

#3: Mills was a great pick. He was the highest ranked guy at his position, is extremely versatile, and should be a big upgrade over Pass.

#4: At first I was confused as to why we would take a TE on day #1, but after a little more thought, I like the pick. Whoever we drafted at TE was basically guaranteed to make the team, so it seems reasonable to not be stuck with a 7th round bust or UDFA. In fact, considering that he's filling a currently empty spot, I guess you could say this pick represents our largest upgrade of the draft.:) The pick also suggests more double TE sets, which, IMO, is a very good thing.

#5: I was also pleased that we didn't draft a CB in the 1st round like many draft "experts" were predicting. Hobbs and Samuel are young/underrated, and will keep improving if given the chance. Letting young players develop before throwing more picks away is a wise choice; just ask the Lions.

#6: The O'Callaghan (sic?) pick was another good one IMO. If it weren't for all the injuries (the guy has hurt his hand and had several shoulder surgeries in the recent past) he would have been a much higher pick. In the middle rounds I think you can afford to risk a single pick on a highly talented, but injury prone guy. It'll also be nice to make Kazcur actually compete for the starting job at RT job.

#7: I don't really know what to think about the late picks. I guess at that point your just looking for guys who can potentially make the team. If Belioli thinks the guys we got are best equiped to do so, then I'm happy about that.

2. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

Don't forget Gay. Gay is actually better than Hobbs, although everyone on this board continually forgets it.

3. Warren=underrated

Warren=underrated Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like him too, but he is coming back from an injury, whereas Hobbs (so far as I know) is 100% ready to go.

4. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

What makes you say that? Genuienly curious. I'm a big fan of Blue, really am, but I think I expect The III to have more impact over the long run.

5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm with you. I see Hobbs as the clear number 1 corner with Warfield, Samuel and Gay going into camp to fight it out for number 2.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I agree on the Center thing - unless there was just never a value they liked, you have to conclude that they're comfortable with Koppen's rehab and Hoch as the backup. Of course, then there's Koppen's impending FA - as I type this I get the feeling maybe the lack of a Center draftee was more to do with never finding a good value because between Koppen's rehab and one year left it's hard to believe they wouldn't draft a Center.

7. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +79 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

I wouldn't put much stock in them not taking a center. Even though the center makes the lines calls, the Pats last two centers were rookies when they started.
    Did BB chose a RB as a way of getting a jab in at his old tormentor Polian and the Dolts?????

8. Rene Vallieres

Rene Vallieres On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No Center?

Interesting that they didn't even take a fly'er on Degory or Ross. Hmm

9. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Not to jinx Chad or anything, but didn't BB take Bethel Johnson about the same spot as he took Jackson?

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Branch too ;)

11. oldrover

oldrover 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 3 / -5

#50 Jersey

Yep... traded up for him too. D'oh!!!

12. bucky

bucky 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Samuel is the #1 CB on this team, even if Law comes back. You can take that to the bank.

13. arrellbee

arrellbee Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think you had some interesting comments.

But you seem to assume that the Patriots are making draft picks with a heavy influence of what they 'need' or don't need. There is a pretty strong indication that they are truly picking the player still on the board whom they consider the most likely to make the team and contribute the most - without much regard to what they 'need'.

However, while it doesn't seem to be mentioned much, there may be a very small element of need when the Pats merge their horizontal draft board into a vertical one - where if two players of different positions are rated/valued exactly the same, they might give the nod to the position where they have a need. That presumes, though, that there would be two players rated/valued the same at that slot.

14. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What bank is that? The mythical Piggy Bank? Please...... Asante is a good player and I like him on my team but please.........

One of my question marks was why the 4th round pick on the kicker? I don't recall any other kickers drafted? Might be wrong about that but still seemed a waste of a pick when we could signed him regardless ..... :rocker:

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

The #1 slot CB - yes indeed ;)

16. arrellbee

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Johnson was taken in the middle of the 2nd round at 45th pick. Branch was picked at the bottom of the 2nd round at 65th pick.

So they picked Jackson higher than both of those guys.

Edit: Johnson was the 45th pick.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  17. arrellbee

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

One could only assume that they really thought he could be a very very good chance to be a top NFL kicker and wanted to make sure they got him.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Probably that and they may have thought there was a very real chance someone else would take him. Remember we all thought we could have traded down and still taken Mankins - only to find out SF was planning on taking him with the very next pick.

I think Belichick really likes this guy. He's a good athlete and has been sucessful despite sharing time between football and baseball. I assume Belichick thinks he has some serious upside when he spends 100% of his time on football.

19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 51 / -21

Neither Bethel Johnson nor Branch were one of the consensus top two in the draft (but no guarantees)

20. bucky

bucky 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Take it to the BANK, BelichickFan! Barring injury, Samuel is your starting LCB. And I, for one, am prefectly comfortable with that.