Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mom forced to live in car with dogs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 20, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

California:Former middle class and retirees increasingly living in their vehicles in gated government designated "safe lots".

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/19/homeless.mom/index.html

Spending 75% of her income on a place to live is not a bright idea , but she s not the only one in this situation!!!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

The other day I was in the market, and along with dog food that says "people quality" pet food.. they have a separate refrigerator for special dog food that stays cold and you essentially cut it up like hamburgers... there are also individual packets.

I have a dog and am a dog lover, I feed him good food.. but "people quality"" WTF can people be thinking.
  3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I like one of the comments at the end..."has she thought of moving away from Santa Barbara to somewhere her social security check will go farther?"
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Saw some all organic etc etc dog biscuits the other day, $20 something a pound. Makes you wonder.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how a woman with 3 adult children, can't figure out a way to put a roof over their heads. Furthermore, I have a hard time believing that her/their own personal decisions haven't put them in the position they're in. If she's getting a SS check to supplement her income, why doesn't she move to a more economically friendly place, instead of an area where the median price of a home is $1 million? She can't afford rent in an area like that, just like I can't afford rent in the Back Bay. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for people who are in difficult situations, but the manner where which the MSM is printing these stories of people, but not giving both sides of the story, is upsetting to me. We don't know why this woman, with 3 adult kids, who was working as a loan officer, lost everything. We only know that she did.
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I saw this story this morning, it was the headline on CNN. All these questions came to me sa well, but I'm sure that just means that we're insensitive capitalist pigs.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Obama Will Fix Everything

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

It's a classic example of how the media shapes a story so as to affect societal perceptions & attitudes. See, things are terrible out there, because this woman who "was" successful and perfect, is sleeping in her car. It's terrible journalism. It's specifically designed to put forth a negative attitude & opinion of everyday life. "My life hasn't really changed much, nor has that of those around me, but see, it's really bad out there" I really hate that kind of one sided journalism. It doesn't explain anything other than the bottom line. She had a house & was middle class, and is sleeping in a car with her dogs. The how and why is irrelevent. Would we accept that type of journalism if the incident in question were different? Probalby not.
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +284 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well Santa Barbara is a VERY expensive area. Here's a clue - move to a place with a lower cost of living. Duh.
  10. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

67 and you don't own a home?

Where are her 3 kids?

Absolute BS!
  11. bobcalkin

bobcalkin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kinda reminds me of some big sports story I've been following :confused:
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

That's seriously messed up and sad at the same time if it's being marketed to humans also. My grandmother used to cook for her dogs ... she didn't have much money but she would go to the market everyday and buy the out of code hambuger, scrap meat etc... she would mix it with rice & eggs and damn her animals were always extremely happy and looked sharp.
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +284 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well whatever. There's a million cheap food choices out there. My wife likes Ramon and Spam. I like a PB&J or, honestly, just buttered bread. There's lots of ways to live just fine without spending much money.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

I don't think it's being marketed to humans. People care more about random dogs than they do random people. Lots of owners don't want to give little precious that disgusting dog food. Their pooch is to good for Alpo. So they pick the stuff that is "good enough for a human to eat!". Remember those Fancy Feast commercials?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P-4MokVSsgs
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

I agree, some of the stuff going on with pets typifies this excessive society.. there are stores in RI that cater to clothing rich people dogs.. look at all the new breeds and the money they cost.. this is way off the subject..

IMO the lady in the car can make choices, and right now is making bad ones..