Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mom: 'Carol Sue Would Be Alive Today' If Not for Huckabee

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/12/mom-carol-sue-w.html

A Missouri mother says she will do "whatever it takes" to stop former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee from becoming president, because he freed the man who went on to rape and murder her daughter, Carol Sue Shields.

"I can't imagine anybody wanting somebody like that running the country," Lois Davidson of Adrian, Mo., told the Blotter on ABCNews.com.

Wayne Dumond was initially sentenced to life plus 25 years for raping a 17-year-old Arkansas high school cheerleader. In 1999, a parole board voted to free Dumond, after then-Gov. Mike Huckabee announced his desire to see him released.

A former parole board member tells ABC News that Huckabee exerted strong pressure on the board to release Dumond.

During the campaign, Huckabee has insisted he played only a minor role in Dumond's release and had concerns that Dumond had been wrongly convicted.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 5 / -2

That's it for him. Nice knowing ya Mike.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +402 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm surprised at you, Patters, Dumond is likely poor and from a bad area with bad schools and bad social services; society almost certainly did him wrong and probably wrongly convicted him as he probably had a crappy lawyer. That's what you would normally say, isn't it ?
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

are you trying to play "gotcha" with Patters, or is that your weak attempt at defending goofy Mike Huckabee?
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +402 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The former. I haven't read the specifics but if this were Hillary he wouldn't blame her but he would blame the social injustices in the U.S.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 2 / -9

Huckabee:
    Sounds like he might have spent some time in Massachusetts.
    :bricks:
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Actually, I'm not faulting Huckabee. (Obviously, he made a terrible mistake, but people who have to make lots of decisions will make some bad mistakes.) I merely posted this to spite conservatives who often bring up similar issues with liberal judges and politicians. It's my mission to help conservatives avoid being hypocrites. :)
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

His excuse for letting convicts out was the overcrowding of prisons. My question would be, how many non-violent prisoners were kept in prison while others were freed? Google his pardons and you get the Keith Richards pardon, versus the hard core ones that are a threat to society.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +410 / 5 / -2

Why would you fault Huckabee? Afterall, he did exactly what you would have done.

To me, this shows a lack of judgement on Huckabee's part. If he personally got involved in the persons release, then it's bye, bye Mike. It all comes down to accountability. It's more egregious when you've personally involved yourself in an issue like this, than if you had simply appointed some moron who acted independently. An appointment is bad enough, but direct involvement is inexcusable.
  10. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is this Huckabee's "Willie Horton"?
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I don't know the details. It does sound like Huckabee went out on the limb here, but you have to know the details. Did he have a history of violence other than the rape? Was he a model prisoner? Was he on drugs when he committed the rape? Did he serve a long sentence already? I don't know. Should Huckabee be held accountable? Of course. It should certainly be a factor in considering him, but it's not the only factor, is it?
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Good Huckabee is a freespending big gov guy get him outta there..
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

God, Patters, you're such an idiot. Look at the evidence (I just came across)!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/04/documents-expose-huckabee_n_75362.html

No :rolleyes: intended.

What was Huckabee thinking?
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +410 / 5 / -2

Probably the same thing Deval Patrick was thinking with Benjamin LaGuer. Cases like these show a complete lack of judgement on a person's part. Looks like Huckabee is toast. So that leaves who now on the GOP side? Giuliani, Thompson, Romney, McCain? What a wonderful bunch. To think that our next president has to come from a group of Giuliani, Thompson, Romney, McCain, Hillary, Obama, or Edwards. HAHAHA! Talks about heading up Sh!t's Creek without a paddle. This country is so fu#$%@. :bricks:
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Fog, the absense of your attendance in this thread about your "number 1" candidate of choice is truly interesting...

where for art thou?... it's fine if you didn't know this news back then, but at least acknowledge if he remains your "number 1"...
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Clinton, Inc., attack team is praying that it might be. For people who cry so much about the "politics of personal destruction", I don't see them complaining about this one!! Guess the only "destruction" they don't like is their own! Which makes them... less than principled.

//
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so that's it?...

anyhow, back to my question sir.... does Mike Huckabee remain your current "number 1?"
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think many people have adopted the Republican playbook because it works so well.

At any rate, this issue is not about the politics of personal destruction. We are not questioning his private life. His involvement in releasing Dumond raises some questions: (1) Does he have good judgment? Why did he get involved in this case at all? (2) Is he honest? Why did he deny his level of involvement when their are multiple witnesses, including one of his former aides? (3) Did his religious background enter into his decision making process in a way that was detrimental to women?
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Oh, hi, PC. I just got to looking at this thread earlier today. Somehow the very title gives off the unmistakable stench of a "drive-by" gotcha.

I never judge people's actions by one or two incidents, only after a pattern emerges do I draw some conclusions. In Huckabee's case, from what I've seen of him, he is as fine a candidate as there is among the field assembled. Might not being saying much, but it is what it is. One incident, such as this that has gotten some people all excited :woohoo: , is just a single snap-shot of somebody, and misses entirely the motivation of the person's actions. Motivation for why one acts is the key point, and I believe Huckabee's motivations are pretty good.

Having said this, there is NO CANDIDATE from any party who can lead America where America needs to go. America has a providential mission to unify the world in true peace, co-prosperity, and well-being. For that, America needs leadership from the highest source: the Rev. Dr. Sun Myung Moon. No one else knows how to deal with the turbulent time we are in better than Father Moon. He's been through it all, he's seen it all, and he knows EXACTLY what needs to be done to secure the peace and blessing that everybody wants and needs to be truly happy, with everlasting peace. What Jesus came to do, Father Moon is doing.

http://www.reverendsunmyungmoon.org/

http://upf.org/

//
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol...

i'm not sure... somewhere in there, did you answer my question or not? is Huckabee still your 'number 1' right now, as you stated in that link?

or are you officially just gonna put Father Moon on your ballot as a write-in?