Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mom Banned from Son's Graduation for Saying the Other "N" Word

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +361 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

This woman's son was given a detention for taking photos during school hours - which was, apparently, against school rules.

Mom went to talk to the school officials and one thing led to another and the following ensued and she'd ended up banned from attending his graduation ceremony.

"I wanted to know why in detention do these kids have to sit for an hour or two with their hands completely folded in front of him," Callman tells NBC Philadelphia. "To me that was like being in a Nazi concentration camp."

This comparison prompted administrators to ban her from school property. Callman also was was cited for disorderly conduct and paid a $50 fine. She says she was told she would not be allowed to attend the Kutztown Area High School graduation.

Mom Banned From Son's High School Graduation After 'Nazi' Comment - ParentDish

I don't know what else might have happened or if this is the whole story. It seems kind of weird that she had to pay a $50.00 fine for disorderly conduct. That sounds very much like the police were involved which would make it a bit more than just a "little remark" about Nazis which lead to the banning.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Maybe they're very politically correct.
  3. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

no they r not... they are liberal softies.:)

cowards..... can't even take a comparison... what a joke
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +191 / 7 / -23

Not much on this story...

But lets see now..
    *kid breaks rules
    *kid gets detention
    *during detention and has to keep hands folded for one hour
    *mommy comes in a starts yelling at the principle and this is fuzzy as to what happens, but somehow she gets a citation and pleads guilty
    * school bans her from their property
    *she appeals to them and awaits their decision, however feels it is best to say they did not, as it has more "sizzle".. as maybe the court of the press is more appropo
    *she tells her side of the story, the school keeps its mouth shut
    *national media does not pick up the story..

IMO just another half baked media whore who wants her 15 minutes of face time...

School Bans Mother from Ceremony over Vocal Criticism of Son's Detention | Firstcoastnews.com | Strange and Unusual
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

"...to me, that was like being in a Nazi concentration camp."

"to you"? Like every individual gets to decide what being in a Nazi concentration cap is like, like there's no objective historical reality to draw from? Christ.

Okay, nobody here (thankfully) seems to think that detention is auschwitz or comparable thereto, although one of our local wags thinks you're a ***** if you can't handle the slanderous comparison.

Me? I think the question doesn't come up if mommie dearest can act like an adult vis a vis her son's school's administration.

Maybe we should have a big tea party in her honor...

What do we expect when the country's become one big proof of Godwin's Law?

[​IMG]

Unless she's from tennessee... this sh1t's just too close for comfort :eek:

[​IMG]

(Tenn. state flag... saw it while doing quick google search for the nazi tea party stuff, and believe me, it's a quick google search.)
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +361 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

A little more information:

According to Callmann, Principal Rebecca Beidelman and Assistant Principal Jennifer K. McAteer wouldn't explain and things got heated.

Callmann admits comparing detention to a Nazi concentration camp.

In turn, she said, McAteer accused her of calling Beidelman a Nazi.

Callmann said she denied that accusation and told Beidelman and McAteer they'd hear from her attorney.

"I didn't scream," said Callmann, who has not taken legal action. "I didn't threaten anybody, and I left the building."

Beidelman couldn't be reached Thursday.

Kutztown police were called and Callmann received a citation for disorderly conduct.

Police Chief Craig M. Summers said witnesses said the argument had spilled into the hallway and was so loud that teachers were peeking out of their classrooms.

The citation shocked Austin.

"She may have gotten loud, but people said they heard the principal yelling, too," the 18-year-old said.

Callmann said a few days later she got a letter from Beidelman barring her from going onto school property without permission. It accused her of calling an administrator a Nazi, refusing to leave McAteer's office and speeding recklessly in the school parking lot when she did leave.

In November, District Judge Gail M. Greth found Callmann guilty of disorderly conduct. Callmann paid a $50 fine and thought the matter was resolved.

Kutztown woman, at odds with school, fears she might not be allowed to see son graduate

The police were, indeed, called. She was, indeed, found guilty of disorderly conduct by a judge and she was fined. Sounds like she disturbed half the school - I can see why they wouldn't want her back on school grounds. The banning probably has more to do with her screaming, refusing to leave, arguing in the hallway and speeding through the parking lot than it does with any accusations of "Nazi." I'd think she simply picked that to focus her 15 minutes of fame on in an effort to say, "Poor me. I didn't do nuttin wrong," even though it appears she did a whole lot wrong.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -9

Why did she break their rules (no picture taking during school hours) sounds like she was looking for trouble, when her kid gets older he'll probably wind up in jail with her for a role model.

In The Absence Of Law And Order Society Will Surely Destroy Itself:
    Harry 2010
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -10

If this is all there is to the story, I agree with you. I'd prolly have said the same thing had I been in her shoes. "Sitting for 1-2 hours with their hands folded in front of them"? WTF??:confused:

And this was in Philadelphia...land of the Liberty Bell?:rolleyes:
  10. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

If I were in her shoes, I'd be pissed at my kid for getting detention.
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -10

It's OK to be pissed at both your kid and his school leaders.

I can GUA-RUN-TEE you had my school made me sit like that for 2 hours, my parents would have been in the principal's office too!

It's the right thing to do!
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +361 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

And is making nazi comparisons, sceaming in the hallways, disrupting nearby classes, refusing to leave, requiring that the police be called and peeling rubber out of a school parking lot also something your parents would have done?
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -9

When you enter a room and there is a sign staring you in the face that says "No Smoking" if you light your Cigar, what happens.

This in your face *&$(## was looking for trouble, she should be disembowled and then "stoned"

Poor little baby had to sit with his hands folded "goo goo ga ga, mommy slurp slurp"

God Damn America, It's All Bush's Fault.

:bricks:
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -10

Well, if she was doing all those things and I was the principle, I would have smacked her....good thing I'm not a teacher or school administrator, huh?

I thought you were defending this lady too MrsP. That is why I stated "unless there is more to it than that" in my opening post. After all, you did open the thread with;

I honestly don't mind the nazi comparison and find that totally acceptable if the students are required to sit for 1-2 hours motionless (with their hands folded in front of them). Because that indeed deserves a nazi comparison.

Keep in mind that "nazi comparisons" don't have to be literal. My dad told me that when he was a young man, he was hanging out with his buddies on the front steps of his friend's house and I cop told them to move. My father said to the cop, "what is this, Russia?" Now of course he didn't mean it literally.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +361 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Let's see, justify for me, please, how making a kid sit still for a hour or two with his hands folded is comparable to any one of the atrocities committed in Nazi Germany. Is it equal to the gas chambers? Is it comparable to being put in a icy vat of water and then placed outside naked in sub-zero temperatures to see if you'd freeze to death more quickly? Is it the same as having tubes forced through your nose and into your lungs and then being ventilated with a gas to see if you'd cough yourself to death? Is it similar to systemic starvation, to mass extermination, to dying in a cattle car, to death by dehydration, by massive enema overload, by burns, by ice picks, by electic shock? Is it akin to being injected with ape sperm, dog sperm, cat sperm to see what ensues? Is it very much like being raped repeatedly by SS guards? Is it comparable to having your genitals removed, or your fingernails, or your eyeballs? Tell me, please, how these things are justifiably comparable with having to sit still, well-fed, warm and safe, in a school room for an hour or two. I wanna know.

Tell me this, too, while you're at it. How is a Nazi comparision in a school room ok in your book but wearing a tee shirt with a picture of a bad guy to the same school would not be ok? How do you defend one and condemn the other?
  16. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Why? Its detention, its supposed to be a punishment for bad behavior. It was no different when I was in school and I had plenty of detention. You have to sit there for an hour doing nothing. It wouldn't be much of a punishment if they could text on their iphones, do schoolwork or some other productive use of their time. I guess they could have them do some sort of community work but that would be viewed as even harsher by many.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +361 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Let's not forget, while we're at it, that the kids being forced to sit stil for an hour were being punished for breaking the rules - the Jewish kids, the gypsy kids in Nazi Germany were being punished for, well, for nothing - other than for being Jewish or Gypsy, of course.

But it's still the same thing, right? And it still, indeed, deserves a nazi comparison.
  18. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

I had an MRI two weeks ago.

Had to lie perfectly still for 20 minutes.

It was like Nazi Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break.

1) The woman needs a sedative and, perhaps, a few books to read that don't have Fabio on the cover.

2) The school clearly overeacted to one woman's hysteria and should not have banned her for being an imbecile.

3) The posters here who automatically assume the school administrators are liberal and not conservative without any evidence whatsoever either way are more moronic than the parties in #1 and #2.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +361 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Did they? That's what we were trying to figure out, I thought.

Is it overreacting to bar a woman from entering a school because she made a really stupid Nazi remark? Probably yes, unless, of course, she made the mistake of saying it to a principal who lost relatives in the Holocaust - which is always a chance you take.

Or was she banned, not for making the stupid remark, but for shouting, disrupting nearby classrooms, refusing to leave, needing the police to be called to the school and for laying rubber on the pavement in a school parking lot when children were present?

If that's the case, I'd want her kept the hell away from my kid's school, too.

I don't think anyone here was assuming anything of the sort, were they? I just assumed they were ticked off - doesn't matter if they're left or right - they were just, seemingly justifiably, angry.
  20. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Post #4.....