PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Mod Edited Title) Warner on SB 36: Pats' Hitting Receivers/Faulk Pushed the Envelope

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did this messageboard turn into a competition for catchiest thread title?

Of course this is to be expected. Who cares?

Tom Werner should really know better. Most Red Sox fans are Pats fans.

Sounds like Kurt Warner is still crying in his beer over losing SB36. Get over it dude.

Actor David Warner should stick to acting. I'd take him for more of a soccer fan anyways.

Based on the rules in effect prior to 1906, Kurt Warner's forward passes would have been illegal. Good thing the officials called the game based on the rules in effect at the time of the game, huh Kurt?

It wasn't just the Pats who played this type of
defense.A couple years later the Panthers mauled the Eagles in the NFC game.It still is a Copycat
league.

It's also no secret that refs are less likely to call a penalty in the playoffs (someone else on this board recently pointed out, maybe this is one reason why "defense wins championships.")

"Holding wins championships"

Just saw the NFL films half hour bit on this game on Sunday. I had the same thought that Warner expressed just - the way the game is being called now, there is no way the Patriots could have played the way they did. For example, chances are very good that if the game were played today, Vrabel would have been called for RTP, negating the Law interception.

I always laugh when people say that if the Patriots and Rams had played nine more times, the Rams would have won all nine. The Patriots were by far the more physical team. Ram WRs were trying to burrow underground to avoid the fearsome hits that the Patriot DBs were dishing out. New England was the better team.

I have no problem with Warner's observation. But the game was played in 2002 and that's the way they called it.

Re: (Mod Edited Title) Warner on SB 36: Pats' Hitting Receivers/Faulk Pushed the Enve

Honestly, I think the title of this thread leaves the impression he's calling up "Spygate" again and it's not that at all.

I really don't have much argument with most of what he said (and I'm no Kurt Warner fan). It's no secret the rules have been emphasized much differently since then. It's also no secret that refs are less likely to call a penalty in the playoffs (someone else on this board recently pointed out, maybe this is one reason why "defense wins championships.")

A sample quote:

Exactly.

I just edited the title and am trusting that the OP didn't actually mean to mislead folks.

It obviously had nothing to do with Cameragate.

Re: Warner takes media bait on Super Bowl 36: Pats' actions may not have been "legal"

The rules of the 2011 REGULAR season are clearly not being applied to the postseason. This is the case for most post seasons.

Except for maybe 2005-2006 after Polian crying, this has always been the case.

The first two fumbles in the Saints game were great examples, Donte Whitner lights up the Saints running back immediately after catching the ball. This has been a 15 yard flag all year on hitting a defenseless receiver. No call.

On the next series Alex Smith took a massive head shot from Roman Harper and fumbles, No call.

Quarterbacks and receivers were babied all regular season. That is not happening in the post season.

Even the Pats-Ravens game... That first illegal contact penalty was like an early free call for being the home team. After that the only penalty I remember was when Benny had his helmet ripped off which they had to call.

What Kurt Warner is saying is 100% ridiculous. I have no doubt Warner would have thrown for 5k+++ yards in the regular season if the same regular season rules applied today were in place in 1999 - 2001, but the Postseason rules are exactly the same. There are none.

Re: Warner takes media bait on Super Bowl 36: Pats' actions may not have been "legal"

Brady should come out and say that if the rules of football were the same as they were decades ago, the Patriots would have crushed St. Louis because they were too wimpy to play with the broken noses the Pats would have given them because of the nonexistent facemasks.

Re: (Mod Edited Title) Warner on SB 36: Pats' Hitting Receivers/Faulk Pushed the Enve

Ok Rams you win. All of your *****ing about filming coaches, walkthroughs, practices, beating up WR's, pushing Faulk around, hitting warner in the helmet has worn me down.

Congratulations, you are now the 2001 SB champs. Now can you go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes