PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Mod Edit] Must Read: Drew Fustin Article on Deflategate Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome work by Drew !
But why were all the Pats balls below 12.5 ? ! :D

Wow... it touches upon many many scientific aspects that all of us have mentioned, but it is in a nice neat package, and even has nice graphics.

I am in awe.

I thought about writing up something in that level of detail but I feared that ulcers would be taking over my GI tract before I came close to finishing it.

Wow... it touches upon many many scientific aspects that all of us have mentioned, but it is in a nice neat package, and even has nice graphics.

I am in awe.

I thought about writing up something in that level of detail but I feared that ulcers would be taking over my GI tract before I came close to finishing it.

As soon as I saw it I thought, now this is an article after Palm Beach Pats Fan's own heart. :)

Hopefully it will get noticed by the media and get the attention it deserves.

screen%20shot%202013-12-03%20at%205.29.16%20am.png

One valuable thing that he explains very well., something that I have scratched my head about often, is the variability within the group being so so much higher for the Patriots footballs.

Sample size is surely part of it, but it always seemed not to be the whole picture.

But...

He totally nails this point in the notes section.

The great differences in the steepness of the warming curves that the two sets of footballs are on, when they were tested, explains it completely, clearly, and in bullet-proof fashion.

My God, the Princeton guy needs to read this. He'd squirm uneasily about he study to which his name became attached.

• Agree
Reactions: JJC
Outstanding article.
Addresses the Colts pressures.
Addresses why it makes no difference which gauge is used.

It also shows the shoddiness of work put out by many under the guise of science.

Article makes sense to me.

WHY ISN'T THIS LINK GETTING MORE ATTENTION? It's dated 5/11, 2 days ago. It needs more exposure, and if someone can provide a valid scientific argument against, then so be it. If not, the case vs the Pats should be thrown out.

Great find.

One thing though - Exponent did give a more reasonable explanation of using the non-logo gauge than to make the numbers work against the Pats. They said that the non-logo gauge was closer to a calibrated gauge than the logo (Wilson) gauge. And since Anderson said Pats balls measured 12.5PSI pregame right where they presumably wanted them Exponent assumes the more accurate non-logo gauge was used. BUT how does Exponent know the Pats gauge wasn't reading high too. Did Wells try to get the Pats gauge so it could be checked? Do the Pats have the gauge and does it read a few tenths of a PSI high? If so that would completely blow apart the exponent conclusions.

Article makes sense to me.

WHY ISN'T THIS LINK GETTING MORE ATTENTION? It's dated 5/11, 2 days ago. It needs more exposure, and if someone can provide a valid scientific argument against, then so be it. If not, the case vs the Pats should be thrown out.

because it's all full of math and other icky stuff and doesn't fit on a bumper sticker.

I only hope and pray Exponent comes out public like Wells did and steps on THEIR ****s like the crazy Johnny Cochrane impersonator did yesterday

I haven't read the article yet, but, if there's a comment section, I guarantee that one of the first posts is "Here come the Patriots homers, with their excuses."

I only hope and pray Exponent comes out public like Wells did and steps on THEIR ****s like the crazy Johnny Cochrane impersonator did yesterday

I'd like that too Joker, I really would. But what I really want to see is the Patriots'/Brady's counsel go to Standford, MIT and Munich's Ludwig Maximillian University. Have all three of them generate the science. Now hold that up to the court of the public and a legal court if need be.
If Exponent made mistakes that are scientifically obvious, let's get some highly respected and unassailable people on board to call it BS. If that is done then job 1 complete. The first pillar of the Emperor's righteous crusade for "integrity" is now dismissed. And maybe we get lucky and in the face of the expertise Exponent comes out and backtracks (unlikely but it would be great!). This whole charade would start leaning perilously over...

They wont because they wrote on page 228 ""In sum, the data did not provide a basis for us to determine with absolute certainty whether there was or was not tampering as the analysis of such data ultimately is dependent upon assumptions and information that is not certain."...

I'd add one or crazy thing. The intercepted ball had 3 readings with the same gauge.

They were wildly variable as well.

On the same ball.

And we know that Exponent claims gauges only cause a tiny amount of air to leak out.

I'd add one or crazy thing. The intercepted ball had 3 readings with the same gauge.

They were wildly variable as well.

On the same ball.

And we know that Exponent claims gauges only cause a tiny amount of air to leak out.

That seems like a key piece of information, but it's also the only time that the gauges seems to be internally inconsistent. Otherwise, the same-gauge variance would seem pretty small, less than .15 PSI. (I'm getting that because the difference between the gauges is consistently between .3 and .45 PSI, so the same-gauge error is likely less than the difference between those two.) I'd like to know more about the conditions behind those three tests, particularly the timing of them relative to each other and to when the ball was brought inside.

Honestly, the variance is the only part of the physics that I'm having trouble explaining. This article kind of hand waves it away–the author explains that variance will be higher because more time passed when the Pats' balls were being measured and it was during a time when they would have been further from equilibrium and thus gaining pressure faster, but the numbers still don't add up. Min/Max difference in the Pats' halftime readings is 1.35 PSI, which is above the effect of the transient warming curve even if you consider the entire halftime (which certainly wasn't the case).

So, yes, I get the logo vs. non-logo gauges, and I get the warming curve, and I get the difference in initial temperature assumptions. I feel safe in saying there are entirely reasonable scenarios where the average pressure of the Pats' balls can be explained perfectly well by physics. That's average, though, and the variance is harder for me to explain. The only thing I can think of that makes that work is that the initial variance was higher, but that directly challenges Anderson's statement that the initial pressure was consistently 12.5 PSI. I don't have a real problem saying that and think it's plausible, particularly since the initial pressures weren't written down; but it's a different type of argument than the rest of the physics corrections since everything else can be explained without challenging someone's testimony, only their assumptions and models.

The high variance of measurements on the intercepted ball is useful, but not entirely consistent with the measurements of the other balls and thus I'm tempted to say it's a result of something like there being a few minutes between tests of the intercepted ball rather than inaccuracy of the gauges (calibration aside).

Is there a mechanism that's been demonstrated that would account for high variance? Maybe something to do with how long the ball was in play or how wet one ball got compared to the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots