PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock draft game discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike in years past, I didn't follow the Discussion thread.. Did any of my picks cause the controversy that Chris Johnson in the 2nd round did for Tennessee 2 years ago????

Your picks don't look controversial this year, although some might question the Decker selection. It's not that bad a pick. It's just that the last time we drafted a Golden Gopher... :p Hopefully he'll recover from that Lisfranc injury and he won't be lured away from football by the promise of the Major Leagues.

Last edited:
Unlike in years past, I didn't follow the Discussion thread.. Did any of my picks cause the controversy that Chris Johnson in the 2nd round did for Tennessee 2 years ago????

I don't remember you having anything to say about your Chris Johnson pick last year:D
What a difference a year makes!

These are my picks for the Jacksonville Jaguars. There were no trades so my hands were tied but I'm of the opinion that they will trade that first round pick for a late first and a second if they can. I can see some people looking to move up to 10, it all depends on who is still available but if Clausen is still there(imo he will be gone) teams may want to move up for him, and there will be a lot of teams who I think would be interested in moving up for Derrick Morgan if he is still on the board after the 9th pick.
I am certain the Jaguars want Tebow but they will have to trade down to take him. I've thought for some time that the Patriots would be potential partners but every expert seems to think that Morgan cannot play OLB in a 3-4 and I think that rules the Patriots out because even if we do change our base D, BB likes players who can play more than one position.

10. Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
74. Matt Tenant G/C Boston College
108 Riley Cooper WR Florida
143 A.J. Edds OLB Iowa
180 Armanti Edwards WR Appalachian State
203 Nate Collins DT Virginia

Between BritPat in rounds 1-4 and myself in the final two rounds, here is the NE draft:

22. DE/OLB Brandon Graham
44. CB Devin McCourty
47. WR Damian Williams
53. DL Alex Carrington
119. TE Tony Moeaki
190. DL Corey Peters
205. DE/OLB Chris McCoy
229. DE/OLB Alex Daniels
231. FB Manase Tonga
247. OL Kevin Haslam
248. OL Chris Campbell
250. S Damaso Munoz

I wanted to add another WR, but those remaining were best targeted as Free Agents and I preferred to create the best competition for openings in the trenches. This includes a FB who can also be a third down back (receiver/blitz p/u). I close out with an undersized LB who has Safety speed & quickness, wasn't too bad in coverage, and was a Special Teams' Ace - no way Bill could go through an entire draft without his Special Teamer.
I'm not in love with the first four to be honest, Graham is a decent pick if he is still there but I think its very unlikely.
Peters is an interesting pick and a guy that I was looking at in my own Pats mock, but I think he might go a lot higher. Its the big thing in this draft, there are guys that I can see going in the 2nd round that could end up going in the 4th and vice versa. Its very hard to just say that a guy is definitely going to go in round 2.
The two OL that you pick both look decent late gambles but I noticed that they worked out OT Nic Richmond a monster at 6'8", 322 lbs who I think they will take late on.
Here is my own mock if you want to take a look at it.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/333125-my-pats-mock.html

That's nuts Freddie Barnes went #253. I think he could go in rounds 4-5 on Saturday, really like the kid to be a steal.

Ravens draft results
Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona
Morgan Burnett S Georgia Tech
Cameron Sheffield OLB Troy
Vince Oghobaase DT Duke
Boris Lee ILB Troy

I know there were many hammering me for not taking Odrick with the 1st selection, but I felt TE was as big a need and I prefer Rob over Jermaine. There's also the Pac-10 connection with John Harbaugh's brother having seen Gronkowski personally.

In reading up on Burnett he seemed like the perfect guy(with the exception of Berry) to step in Ed Reed's place for the future. Versatile, big hitter and a good nose for the football.

Not having a 3rd or 4th made it hard to see so many good options on the front 7 go off the board, but when those back to back picks finally came in round 5 Oghobaase was an easy choice. His size and athleticism should make for an easy transition to DE. Sheffield looks to be another guy who can play multiple positions. Reunited him with fellow Trojan and LB, Boris Lee to help give Ray Lewis a breather on occasion.

Bears draft results
Kyle Calloway OT Iowa
Kendrick Lewis S Mississippi
Brian Jackson CB Oklahoma
Shawn Lauvao OG Arizona State
David Gettis WR Baylor

Obviously Chicago has spent most of their offseason in FAs and trades. The most glaring need has still yet to be addressed, OL. Calloway has experience at guard as well as tackle. He along with Lauvao should help give the OL some much needed bulk. Lewis & Jackson injects some youth in the secondary. Gettis presented too great a value to pass up. Even though they drafted 3 WRs a year ago and Cutler developed a great connection with Aromashodu late in the season there's still room for depth there.

I feel that the Rams had one heck of a draft and like GM Billy Devaney has stated the Rams need playmakers and thats what we tried to do so here's the picks I made for the St. Louis Rams.

1)Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma

This is the Rams quarterback of the future and its time to stop looking at other positions for your very first pick and get your quarterback. As much as I like Suh the Rams have to get Bradford here I just can't see them passing on a quarterback again this year.

2)Everson Griffen DE USC

The Defensive End position needs upgraded in a major way and with Leonard Little getting older and not much depth I wanted to address this need right away and with a talent like Griffen falling I could not pass on selecting him at a major position of need and value. This will take some of the pressure off of Chris Long on the other side.

3)Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State

When you read the scouting report on Bowman it states first round talent with character flaws but a top weak side linebacker and guess where the Rams lack depth? You got it weak side linebacker as in no depth and before the signing of Na'il Diggs nothing to mention as far as a top player at that position.

4)Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida

At this point in the draft it was time to get Bradford some weapons and when I started searching for value at this point this player kept rising up boards that I was looking at and when I saw the measureables 6'3 215 4.4 well I believe he's more than just a red zone threat.

5)Ed ****son TE Oregon

Another weapon to grow with Bradford and stretch the middle of the field as well as another big target for my young QB. Three year starter for the Oregon Ducks and a consistent player in that offense and runs solid routes.

5)T.J. Hart S Oregon

When I was scouting the Ducks this was the player I was focusing on for my defense and I had a feeling he would be gone before I could make the selection but I thought I would take the chance and was able to get him after all. The scouting report on him is that he's a solid tackler and reminds you of Bob Sanders and that was enough said for me also he was a leader on defense.

6)Charles Scott RB LSU

I saw enough of this player during the season that I know that he will be a good backup for Stephen Jackson. This young man is a punishing runner and has a nose for the end zone. He's hardly ever brought down by the first tackler and a two year starter for the Bayou Bengals.

7)Kevin Thomas CB USC

Bringing in more depth for the defense with this nice sized corner from USC who had a good senior season and will bring in more competition for the secondary. This player plays heads up football and has better than average football awareness.

7)Brandon Deaderick DT Alabama

Looking at the big trade today I'm glad I made this selection. But VJCPatriot said it earlier during this draft process that Carriker was not a good fit for the Rams defense and I see they finally bit the bullet and traded him to the Redskins.Deaderick played under the shadow of a few good players on that Alabama defense and did not do much during the season as he had the previous year but he had a reason. If you had got shot in the arm I'm sure it would make a difference in your performance as well.

7)Chris Scott OT/OG Tennessee

I wanted position versatility with this selection and thats why I went with this big fellow from the Volunteers. Speaking of big check out these measureables 6'5 338 and a three year starter for the Vols convinced me to add him to the Rams offensive line.

Last edited:
Is that damned Cat stuck up a tree somewhere?

Good point the cat does not stay away this long. :D
His marathon isn't until June, so he can't still be stuck on the course...maybe ashes have burned through his cable? :confused2:

Last edited:
His marathon isn't until June, so he can't still be stuck on the course...maybe ashes have burned through his cable? :confused2:

I'll send him another PM hopefully he will make his selection before Thursday night. :D

I'll send him another PM hopefully he will make his selection before Thursday night. :D
If he's tied one on again the ale fumes won't have dissipated by then.

Between BritPat in rounds 1-4 and myself in the final two rounds, here is the NE draft:

22. DE/OLB Brandon Graham
44. CB Devin McCourty
47. WR Damian Williams
53. DL Alex Carrington
119. TE Tony Moeaki
190. DL Corey Peters
205. DE/OLB Chris McCoy
229. DE/OLB Alex Daniels
231. FB Manase Tonga
247. OL Kevin Haslam
248. OL Chris Campbell
250. S Damaso Munoz

I wanted to add another WR, but those remaining were best targeted as Free Agents and I preferred to create the best competition for openings in the trenches. This includes a FB who can also be a third down back (receiver/blitz p/u). I close out with an undersized LB who has Safety speed & quickness, wasn't too bad in coverage, and was a Special Teams' Ace - no way Bill could go through an entire draft without his Special Teamer.

By the way Box what would your first 5 selections look like for the Patriots?

By the way Box what would your first 5 selections look like for the Patriots?
Don't be setting me up for a British invasion, I'll stick to irritating them one at a time.

Don't be setting me up for a British invasion, I'll stick to irritating them one at a time.

Ok. I have the feeling that Graham will be gone before the Patriots pick.
Do you think the Pats will trade up or down or stay.

For a laugh lets recap the Redskins Mock Draft.

#4 Jimmy Clausen, QB

Well this pick was a reach in my books but with Shany now running the show in Washington I though this had to be his pick. Somewhere in the second round the McNabb trade happened:bricks:

#37 Arrelious Benn, WR

I really think this kid is going to be a great WR in the NFL with the size and speed to impact right away. His hands are suspect but his speed surprised but looking back I might have went with Saffold but I got a pretty good player later in the draft.

# 103 Tony Washington, OT

Yes the "incest guy" but should be a top 45 pick IMO as far as talent. Yes he had consensual sex with his biological 15-year-old sister when he was 16. I would not touch this one with a ten foot poll but he was the best value and fit a huge need.

#135 Selvish Capers, OT

Yes I go back to back OT but at this point McNabb needed as much help up front as he could possible get. Perfect for the zone-blocking scheme, Selvish Capers athleticism will turn some heads in Washington and will become their LT of the future. This is if all this were real and I was Mike Shanahan:D:D

#211 Shay Hodge, WR

I noticed this guy watching the Dexter McCluster film and think he would be a nice option for McNabb as you will see many 3 and 4 WR sets.

Needless to say I did not address the Defense but in all reality I bet there will be a trade down from #4 to gain picks as this was on of the most boring drafts I have been apart of with only 5 pick but it was fun all the same. The McNabb trade just topped it off for me :cool:

Last edited:
For a laugh lets recap the Redskins Mock Draft.

#4 Jimmy Clausen, QB

Well this pick was a reach in my books but with Shany now running the show in Washington I though this had to be his pick. Somewhere in the second round the McNabb trade happened:bricks:

#37 Arrelious Benn, WR

I really think this kid is going to be a great WR in the NFL with the size and speed to impact right away. His hands are suspect but his speed surprised but looking back I might have went with Saffold but I got a pretty good player later in the draft.

# 103 Tony Washington, OT

Yes the "incest guy" but should be a top 45 pick IMO as far as talent. Yes he had consensual sex with his biological 15-year-old sister when he was 16. I would not touch this one with a ten foot poll but he was the best value and fit a huge need.

#135 Selvish Capers, OT

Yes I go back to back OT but at this point McNabb needed as much help up front as he could possible get. Perfect for the zone-blocking scheme, Selvish Capers athleticism will turn some heads in Washington and will become their LT of the future. This is if all this were real and I was Mike Shanahan:D:D

#211 Shay Hodge, WR

I noticed this guy watching the Dexter McCluster film and think he would be a nice option for McNabb as you will see many 3 and 4 WR sets.

Needless to say I did not address the Defense but in all reality I bet there will be a trade down from #4 to gain picks as this was on of the most boring drafts I have been apart of with only 5 pick but it was fun all the same. The McNabb trade just topped it off for me :cool:

Yeah noticing the spacing between your picks I can see what you mean.
Having a couple of teams to be GM for from the beginning makes it more interesting to me.

Do you think the Pats will trade up or down or stay.
Not a clue. I've prognosticated that many of their DL/OLB moves have looked like a team thinking in terms of using more 40 fronts, but I'm guessing the same as everybody else.

My "sleeper" pick at #22 is Brian Price because he's a run stuffing DT who can use his first step to flatten a pocket and would fit well in a rotation with Wilfork, Pryor, and either Brace or Lewis. If they move down a few notches, Tyson Alualu starts making the most sense.

I suspect they might consider moving up for Derrick Morgan, but I've got no idea how far he'd need to fall before they make such a move - if they're willing to pay #10 money to an ILB, perhaps they'd go #8 with Crazy Al, but I think it unlikely.

Nice job! I can't believe we made it to the end, and with a day to spare. :cool:

Last night I was thinking about making the Lions pick if no one else did, but it seemed like I should wait for someone official. The kid from Miami is a good linebacker, so nice job. I was thinking Jacob Cutrera would have made an excellent pick, too. He seems to fit more of what the Lions are looking for. But nice work.

Well from my sources Sharpton was easily the highest rated ILB available and I was stunned he wasn't taken much earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes