PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mobile QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This was posted in another thread by someone who can't start his own threads. Please note: if all you have to say is "We have TFB. /thread", don't bother. [If nothing else, TFB needs backup(s).]

Hey I have a question, what do you guys think of having a mobile quarterback? Seeing that this is the new Era that the NFL is heading towards to.Someone like Michael Vick, Joe Webb, Tim Tebow? Do you think a mobile quarterback will fit into our system, you have to remember, BB and TB are not going to be here forever.

I think it's an interesting topic for discussion, and there was already one response:

Hmmmm. Well, I'll admit that I was impressed with Webb's performance last night - his success as a pocket passer with his running ability thrown in more as a "bonus" than a focus - meaning that the Vikes didn't appear to use special blocking schemes or route patterns built around Webb's running/scrambling, at least not often.

What Webb showed was certainly similar to what Vick and the Eagles have done in several games this season (and it seems kind of odd that the Eagles weren't better at defending it). I'm not confident that Tebow is quite there yet on the pocket passer end of things, though I'm not saying he can't get there. Cam Newton appears to have the ability to perform out of the pocket at least as well a Vick and Webb (based on the ONE Webb performance, of course), but I'm not willing to go so far as to proclaim the beginning of any "New Era" in the NFL in which mobile QBs largely supplant dropback pocket passers, if that's what you meant.

WRT a mobile QB "fitting our system", that might be a little complicated, at least in transition. I feel that Brady is almost a "pure" pocket passer. He doesn't even rollout or scramble very much. The gameplans, reads, routes, blocking and (most important) practice reps are all built around that - and there are only so many practice reps to go around. I'm not sure how a team successfully manages such a radical transition. Maybe you install special wildcat-style packages at first, but I'm not confident that's been all that good a technique. Maybe it's better to groom the guy as a pocket passer first, ease him in that way, and then use his running ability as a bonus rather than making it a feature from the get-go.

Not saying it can't be done by the Pats, just starting to explore the "how."

I'm with MaineMan here -- it makes sense to look for backups who fit the style of the Big Guy you've built your offense around.

I'd also toss in there that Joe Webb isn't just "a mobile QB," he's a rare, phenomenal athlete who could play multiple positions in the NFL. (The Vikings actually drafted him as a WR.) Forget comparing him to other quarterbacks...compare his measurables to the top-drafted defensive back, Eric Berry, who's an awesome athlete in his own right:

Berry
6'0" 211 4.40/2.51/1.54 19 43" 10'10" 4.23 6.88

Webb
6'3" 223 4.44/2.55/1.54 21 42.5" 11'05"(!) 4.04(!) 6.71(!)

Who puts up numbers like that at 6'3" 223??? Unreal.

I'm with MaineMan here -- it makes sense to look for backups who fit the style of the Big Guy you've built your offense around.

I'd also toss in there that Joe Webb isn't just "a mobile QB," he's a rare, phenomenal athlete who could play multiple positions in the NFL. (The Vikings actually drafted him as a WR.) Forget comparing him to other quarterbacks...compare his measurables to the top-drafted defensive back, Eric Berry, who's an awesome athlete in his own right:

Berry
6'0" 211 4.40/2.51/1.54 19 43" 10'10" 4.23 6.88

Webb
6'3" 223 4.44/2.55/1.54 21 42.5" 11'05"(!) 4.04(!) 6.71(!)

Who puts up numbers like that at 6'3" 223??? Unreal.

I really wanted us to draft Webb, precisely because of those numbers. As a sixth rounder, there's very little risk involved, and the upside at just about any position is immense. I was impressed with the way he played, and I think he's got a good chance at being the Vikes quarterback next year. Might develop into a Vick like player in time.

Colin Kaepernick could represent a low risk, high reward kind of mobile quarterback if we wanted to switch up our backup position (for the record, I really like Hoyer). He's a slimmer version of Newton, but a better passer, in my opinion. Intriguing guy, for sure.

Running QBs are the most overrated thing in Football by a mile... give me a pure pocket passer anyday.

Though I find players like Vick or Randall Cunningham, in his prime, exciting to watch I prefer a pocket passer.

My primary reason for this is that one of the keys to a successful team is continuity and consistency of QB play. Running QBs tend to get hurt more frequently, thus play fewer games per season and fewer seasons in a career. Cunningham was enough of a pocket passer to be able to have a relatively long career but when he finished up in MN (with Moss and Carter) he wasn't the same dynamic player he was in Philly.

To me the best scenario is a disciplined pass first QB that can run (a scrambler versus a runner), like Steve Young, or Elway. Worst case is someone like Vince Young in TN or Vick when he was in Atlanta.

Additionally I agree with the poster that a team should have a back up with a similar playing style to the starter and if an effective starting running QBs is hard to find, how do you find 2 for the roster?

Last edited:
Though I find players like Vick or Randall Cunningham, in his prime, exciting to watch I prefer a pocket passer.

My primary reason for this is that one of the keys to a successful team is continuity and consistency of QB play. Running QBs tend to get hurt more frequently, thus play fewer games per season and fewer seasons in a career. Cunningham was enough of a pocket passer to be able to have a relatively long career but when he finished up in MN (with Moss and Carter) he wasn't the same dynamic player he was in Philly.

To me the best scenario is a disciplined pass first QB that can run (a scrambler versus a runner), like Steve Young, or Elway. Worst case is someone like Vince Young in TN or Vick when he was in Atlanta.

Additionally I agree with the poster that a team should have a back up with a similar playing style to the starter and if an effective starting running QBs is hard to find, how do you find 2 for the roster?

In other words, 2010 Brady passing + 2008 Cassel running? :)

In terms of mobility, pocket mobility is most crucial, the kind of very short range mobility exhibited by Marino and Brady, moving a step of two out of the way and getting the pass off. I much prefer that to the John Elway/Fran Tarkenton running around the backfield type of mobile QB, the more that happens the more the moving parts there are in the play and the more likely it is to break down.

That being said, I think Aaron Rodgers has it all, he can roll out and throw on the move, quickly take 10-15yds downfield when the defense is spread thin and there is no spy, and he can pass from the pocket. Joe Montana was very similar in that regard.

While Vick is becoming an exception to his own rule, most running QBs are terrible at the position because they're not disciplined enough to remain in the pocket and let the play develop. It's no coincidence that some of the best passers (Marino, Brady, Manning) are not exactly good at running.

Mobile QB's aren't necessarily guys like Vick and Cunningham. Rodgers, Cassel, Josh Freeman, Steve Young back in the day...all these guys were mobile QB's that wouldn't burn the defense for 30+ yard runs, but could make plays with their legs when needed.

Its funny that he was drafted in the 6th round, pick 199 lol.... that should have been enough to draft him!

I like this kid, he was supposed to be a receiver I think hence his quickness and height but he is a decent QB. First start against a hungry and explosive team like the Eagles trying to get a better seed. Thats tough.

Vick had a terrible game as well.

Cassel is a mobile QB, so BB isn't afraid of them. Hoyer is more bobile then Brady. The trick is to find a kid who can move in the pocket, or hopefully learn how to move in the pocket. Running QBs are okay if they learn when to run.

Along these lines I believe NE may have been considering Froman from Louisville as a developmental prospect. Others:
Dalton - TCU
Blake - Louisville
Weber - MN
Chappell - IN
Frazer - UConn
Bolles - NW MO
Colburn - Fresno
Vittatoe - UTEP
Kaepernick - NV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24