PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Now that MNF is on ESPN, through the second qtr. what is everyones thoughts? I really like the addition of Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico. So far, not a bad showing. Thought I must admit. I don't like the score tracker in the middle of the bottom of the screen. Thoughts?

holyredeemer said:
Now that MNF is on ESPN, through the second qtr. what is everyones thoughts? I really like the addition of Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico. So far, not a bad showing. Thought I must admit. I don't like the score tracker in the middle of the bottom of the screen. Thoughts?

I cannot believe I am so bored that I am actually watching these two really sucky teams.

Now that you pointed out the score tracker's location - it is driving me NUTS.

Tirico is really good, not sure about Kornheiser yet but he seems good and Theisman is awful as usual.

Why can't they put that ******* thing up in the corner or something?

Warren Sapp interview. Barrrrrrrrrrrrrffffffffffffffffffffff.

Thanks for the reminder, holyredeemer.

It seemed like they were trying to break the record for most sideline reports in a half.

fgssand said:
...and Theisman is awful as usual.

???

I've always thought that Theisman was actually very good. The problem was that Patrick and McGwire were so rediculously bad.

I expect this new combination to prove the point. This ESPN crew just might end up being the very best crew in all the NFL.

I'm curious why you would say Theisman is awful tonight. Did you see the part where he was talking about how high the Raiders were on their backup QB seconds before the kid launched a bomb for a TD. Theisman actually does stuff like that a lot. As long as they can keep the talk around him at an intelligent level, he's actually quite good.

The scoreboard in the middle is horrendous and Kornheiser's voice is like a mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
The announcing crew is fine, I can live with it. What worries me is that the Raiders look like they have a QB in Walter. If I were them, I'd bench that stiff Brooks and let the kid start the season. Not like they were going to win many games anyway, let him learn. He already has solid pocket presence, goes through his reads and has a strong arm. More than you can say for Brooks, except for the arm.

PYPER said:
The problem was that Patrick and McGwire were so rediculously bad.
You are correct. I don't know why Mike Patrick has a job, he does college basketball w/**** Vitale and they are unlistenable. Maguire just hypes any superstar repeatedly and gives no analysis. It was easy for Theismann to outshine these two.

ESPN consistently shows that they do not want to hire the best talent, but the best "sports entertainment" guys (a la WEEI).

Commentary is better than I expected.
Kornheiser seems to keep Theisman in check to some degree. Like the voice of reason. Theisman needs him there for occaisional reality checks.

I was surprised to find that Theisman, without McGuire, is actually insightful and reasoned. When he was with McGuire the constant bantering back and forth and the grating sour nature of McGuire's personality colored my perception of Theisman to the point that I couldn't stand him either. (Patrick never bothered me.) Tirico seems inoffensive and smooth, and does a good job calling the action. That's all you can ask from a play by play man.

Kornheiser is neither a professional announcer nor has an insider's deep view of the game, but he was OK. Not good, just OK. Maybe he'll get better. At least he was better than that Dennis Miller clown from Saturday Night Live they had on a few years ago.

PromisedLand said:
I was surprised to find that Theisman, without McGuire, is actually insightful and reasoned. When he was with McGuire the constant bantering back and forth and the grating sour nature of McGuire's personality colored my perception of Theisman to the point that I couldn't stand him either. (Patrick never bothered me.) Tirico seems inoffensive and smooth, and does a good job calling the action. That's all you can ask from a play by play man.

Kornheiser is neither a professional announcer nor has an insider's deep view of the game, but he was OK. Not good, just OK. Maybe he'll get better. At least he was better than that Dennis Miller clown from Saturday Night Live they had on a few years ago.
Maguire and Dennis Miller were both pretty damn bad. LOL
I think Kornheiser brings a different angle. A media guy, but somehow a bit more "regular guy". Theisman is better without Maguire, but I'll wait and see.

Like most talking heads in a TV booth, they need to open their eyes and ears more, and their mouths less. Silence can be a good thing.
In my younger days, I used to watch MNF with the sound off, and the radio on ; Jack Buck and Hank Stram used to blow those ABC assclowns away.

PromisedLand said:

I like Theisman as far as the "expert" insights compared to most (Wish Fouts was in there I think he is the best)

Man I seem to be the only one that thought Kornheiser was a shmuck, I thought he was critical in a condesending way everytime he said something about someone on the field or a coach (the stupid bed and breakfast thing...oh I get it and as someone who probably never even got picked for the wiffle ball team your on a mighty high throne) I couldn't stand him. It must just be me as this board is usually hard on announcers and that doesn't seem to be the case tonight. IMO I would have given the "booth" a C as I just don't seem the chemistry....I thought Joe was gonna throw Tony out of the booth down to the filed below....now THAT would have been an A+ for me then.

I would like to comment on the announcers, but i couldn't watch the game because the stupid "tracker" or whatever ruined it. I hope ESPN moves that to a corner before the start of the regular season because that was just terrible--it blocked a good bit of the field.....the coverage should enhance the game, not overtake it!

Also, I must add this after watching the whole show. The ask Tony segment was alright the first time, but I had no idea they were going to do it through practically the whole show. I love Korneheiser, but if I wanted to hear HIS opinion on any matter concerning football prognostication and such, I would be watching more flippin' PTI. Sorry, that got on my nerves in a reaaallly bad way.
Also, didnt know the vikes re did their unis. Those things are awful:(

pats-blue said:
I like Theisman as far as the "expert" insights compared to most (Wish Fouts was in there I think he is the best)

Man I seem to be the only one that thought Kornheiser was a shmuck, I thought he was critical in a condesending way everytime he said something about someone on the field or a coach (the stupid bed and breakfast thing...oh I get it and as someone who probably never even got picked for the wiffle ball team your on a mighty high throne) I couldn't stand him. It must just be me as this board is usually hard on announcers and that doesn't seem to be the case tonight. IMO I would have given the "booth" a C as I just don't seem the chemistry....I thought Joe was gonna throw Tony out of the booth down to the filed below....now THAT would have been an A+ for me then.

You are not alone. I thought Kornheiser was terrible. I also agree with whoever said to bring back Dan Fouts.

I'm a Kornheiser fan but was uncertain how he'd be as an announcer---I thought he was very uncomfortable in his first run. It was as if he couldn't think of anything to say so he'd just blurt out some PTI-style rant. Hopefully he'll get heavily criticized and get better, I think he can if he sticks to commentary/input/stories rather than trying to rant about everything.

I really hope Theisman-Kornheiser doesn't become the same stupid antogonistic schtick that was Theisman-Maguire.

These guys need to realize that we are tuning in to watch the game, not to listen to them. This isn't a glorified talk radio show. Just give us information and insights, make the opinions rare and during slow times only.

...the score/time info is in a terrible location, but at least it's small. You all aren't recalling that the other networks often have theirs across the entire screen.

I'm really surprised by all the positive comments. I thought they were terrible. Particularly Kornheiser and Theissman. Their fake arguing was annoying like their agrument over Joe Gibbs. The "Ask Tony" segments were stupid. Kornheiser is Dennis Miller Part Duex. And Theissman has always provided inane and obvious commentary. Isn't anyone else bothered by the fact that it's basically a Redskin booth? How about some neutrality?

The one positive thing was that MacGuire wasn't there to scream, "WATCH THIS! WATCH THIS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back