PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF: DEN vs CIN Game Thread & Manning Honorific Broadcast

I really thought that the game was over after the Dalton pick six. I ended staying up for the whole game (must be why I feel like a zombie this morning) and was pretty happy with the results. I think I woke my wife up cheering on Mannings pick six in the forth quarter, HA!

Amazing — but not surprising — how mournful and apologetic the coverage in national media is today. One after another they are repeating the "so unlike Peyton" mantra. Sure the guy has phenomenal stats. But his record of big game chokes is pretty well established. Lots of "he's only human" and "mortal Manning" stuff. Sharp contrasts with the flat out Brady bashing we saw in September .

Geno Atkins did nothing last night and overall this season has looked nothing like he did in 2012 and the first half of 2013. That's why I'm not down on Easley's rookie performance. If a torn ACL can do that to a guy who was a monster for the year and a half before his injury, then it's no surprise that it significantly hampered a guy who was just making the jump to the NFL.

Amazing — but not surprising — how mournful and apologetic the coverage in national media is today. One after another they are repeating the "so unlike Peyton" mantra. Sure the guy has phenomenal stats. But his record of big game chokes is pretty well established. Lots of "he's only human" and "mortal Manning" stuff. Sharp contrasts with the flat out Brady bashing we saw in September .

This entire season was supposed to be a coronation of Manning. They even made a rules emphasis to get him over the hump to beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. ESPN probably already spent millions of dollars filming Manning legacy packages for Super Bowl week. It is a crushing defeat for the media.

This entire season was supposed to be a coronation of Manning. They even made a rules emphasis to get him over the hump to beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. ESPN probably already spent millions of dollars filming Manning legacy packages for Super Bowl week. It is a crushing defeat for the media.

Unless Manning can get the SB moved to week 8 next year, things aren't going to get any better.

I had a hot date last night but my girl intentionally sat us near the closest TV so my attention could divert there from time to time. From what I saw, I loved it. Manning's body, to me at least, looks like it's finally showing the negative effects of absorbing so much punishment, not just over time, but from this season. His throws, outside of the one to DT down the seam, had very little on them and he seems to almost be scared in the pocket. They were wondering on Sirius on the "Opening Drive" this morning whether or not he sustained some type of injury between the Pats and Rams games that the Broncos are keeping under wraps. I don't think that's case, personally. I think he's finally starting to break down. They NEED this win next week against the Raiders because Manning really needs a bye week to rest. If they don't get that (and even if they do), there is a very realistic chance Denver goes one and done.

I can't wait for one of our stats guys or Ian to update Manning's TD/INT ratio and his % INT numbers. When you compare these key QB quality #s with Brady Peyton falls far short. Manning gets the stats that are a function of having started & played for a long time but like Favre he fails the quality tests.

Last night was further proof that Manning's #s are also inflated because he spent half of his career games playing inside in a dome in perfect conditions. Not real football.

I nearly threw up in my mouth when Gruden commented that "Manning is one of the greatest 4th QTR comeback players EVAH!" followed shortly by a friggin Pick Six Manning Trademark.

I nearly threw up in my mouth when Gruden commented that "Manning is one of the greatest 4th QTR comeback players EVAH!" followed shortly by a friggin Pick Six Manning Trademark.

"Hes got a glove on his hand HE DOESNT NEED TO PLAY IN A DOME!"-Gruden

annnnnd click, thats the moment i turned the game off.

I had a hot date last night but my girl intentionally sat us near the closest TV so my attention could divert there from time to time.

A girlfriend who will put that kind of importance on your love of football? Lucky bastard.<g> You better be planning on proposing in the near future! :D

A girlfriend who will put that kind of importance on your love of football? Lucky bastard. You better be planning on proposing in the near future! :D

She did that under the guise of doing it for me, but I caught her peeking. Wanted to tell her "Hey! My eyes are up here!". When I met her, she was a Jags fan. She had a pink Gabbert jersey and everything. I've slowly converted her to the dark side, though she still does really like the Jags too.

She did that under the guise of doing it for me, but I caught her peeking. Wanted to tell her "Hey! My eyes are up here!". When I met her, she was a Jags fan. She had a pink Gabbert jersey and everything. I've slowly converted her to the dark side, though she still does really like the Jags too.

As long as she ain't a Jets fan. :)

Surprised Peyton wears a glove on his throwing hand. Especially because of his Chad Pennington arm.

Really pathetic job by the Broncos receivers last nite to not run their routes several yards shorter so they could catch Manning's beautiful ducks. I especially was amazed at how Demaryius Thomas wasn't prescient enough to know Manning would expect him to cut off his route and immediately charge back towards Peyton 5-6 yards to try and catch his wobbly pass on the pick-6. Clearly a miscommunication. Gruden was spot-on in his commentary on how last nite was the fault of everyone other than Peyton Manning.

I suggest you give her frequent injections of Patriots serum until pumped full to insure Pats loyalty

Someone here with no life who tapped the game needs to aggregate all the Gruden ball washing & excuse comments and post a thread. Hilarity!

Career INTs when trailing w less than 4 min to go: Drew Brees-25 Peyton Manning-22 Tom Brady-8 Tony Romo-7”

Interesting stat but also biased against QBs with longest careers or teams losing in 4TH QTR. In their consideration, if there's one situation where good QBs have to make the risky throw it's on your last possession when playing from behind. Reflects very well on Brady & Tony although if you have been in few such situations your # would be low. Comparative INT % in that situation would be useful.

Damn, more rule changes to come. Players will only be allowed to catch balls that are intended for them.
"....and it's picked off by Dre Kirkpatrick! Hold on flag on the play." "Illegal touching defense #27 ball will be placed at the spot of the foul 1st down!" "A costly mistake by Kirkpatrick Mike, you just can't make a big mistake like this late in a game. You have to know you can only politely ask the receiver to drop the ball in an appropriate tone of voice."

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back