PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB:What went wrong for Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was SB42 all over again in that the best pass blocking line in football picked the worst game to take the day off. Nobody would have succeeded with that awful protection. This article mentions this, but should have lead with it.

Regards,
Chris

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Alot went wrong for Denver. Seattle was better in every facet of Football. Physically, mentally, you name it.

Seattle let their DBs play how they've been playing all year. They basically allowed Peyton to throw short passes into the middle of the field? Why? Because Chancellor was lurking every time to deliver a message. I don't think there's any question that those early tone setting hits played a factor as well.

Lack of vertical routes. Seatle didn't respect it, living in single high safety. Tons of combo coverage underneath, denver ran a few plays to get em out of it. They missed em and they were doomed, east west passing game was not gonna work!

Alot went wrong for Denver. Seattle was better in every facet of Football. Physically, mentally, you name it.

Seattle let their DBs play how they've been playing all year. They basically allowed Peyton to throw short passes into the middle of the field? Why? Because Chancellor was lurking every time to deliver a message. I don't think there's any question that those early tone setting hits played a factor as well.

Same way the Patriots beat the Rams in their first Superbowl. Let the guys run underneath and then knock the stuffing out of them when they catch the ball. Doesn't take too many plays before they start hearing footsteps.......

His offense. At this point, it's a well known, one dimensional passing offense. It was probably a well known one dimensional passing offense, by our 3rd Superbowl I think and it just never changed much.

Really. That's probably the biggest reason.

It works wonders against 90% of the NFL because he outsmarts them pre-snap and outexecutes them with his vet receivers. But it's simple, he's been running it for years, it's built on execution, well known by now, with lots of tape on it. Against smart defensive coaches with speedy, powerful, dominant defenses, with defenders who can man up, it just doesn't stand up anymore.

And of course, in Peyton's case, a lot of the money goes to his offense, him and his receivers. That doesn't help other areas of the team.

So when he gets to the playoffs, he runs into playoff defenses...and you have what happened so many times before and during the Superbowl.

Rinse and repeat.

That's funny, you guys call out a east-west passing attack quickly (and rightfully) when the broncos are hampered by it, but when the pats do the same thing, you all forget what that concept is

I thought they went to the short game, those bubble screens, after PM got so heavily pressured the first two series. Classic strategy but it didn't really work. And I agree, arm looked very tired, so many wobbly passes. Also, writers I follow on Twitter kept mentioning open receivers Manning wasn't seeing, or at least throwing to.

Did any of these writers theorize Manning wasn't throwing to these open receivers because he was freezing them out and/or he secretly resented them?

the problem was that everyone in the world knew the broncos game plan

the running game took a back seat in the same fashion it did for the pats against the broncos.

such is the problem when you spend 20M/yr on a QB.....you simply cant have a 680k running back be your MVP

I mean the only reason elway won anything was because of a 680k running back

what went wrong for Denver?? they have Peyton Manning who poops himself in big games. That is what went wrong.

when it was 8-0 in the 1st or second quarter when Manning threw his first interception I believe on a HORRIBLE throw to Julius Thomas....and lets not even talk about the pick six.

but that IS WHAT HE DOES. people should not be surprised. 11-12 in the playoffs. 8 one and dones. 2 of the highest scoring offenses in history 2004 colts, 2013 broncos...both can only score 3pts and 8pts in the playoffs....2 or 3 picks sixes in the superbowl.

It was very obvious to see that Mannings arm strength was gone. He just had no pop.

Add to the fact that the coverage was excellent and Manning had no where to go.

It was SB42 all over again in that the best pass blocking line in football picked the worst game to take the day off. Nobody would have succeeded with that awful protection. This article mentions this, but should have lead with it.

Regards,
Chris

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

There's one big difference... The Broncos

BC0KfPy.gif

and the Pats battled and almost pulled the game off.

There are plays to be made in that secondary, in last year's playoff Matt Ryan was aggressively attacking sherman and that secondary from the gecko and it was working.

John Fox
Jack Del Rio
Wes Welker
Peyton Manning

Remind me: Which of those names was screaming "big game consistency" to anyone in the first place?

If the Patriots were playing, think that Brady, Belichick, and company would really give a run of the mill and money against the 12th man aka Hawks! As it would not be a blowout at all by any and all means!

I particularly hated that stupid pistol formation the broncos were using, too much shotgun. Manning should have spent time under center and use the good old play action especially early in the game.

What I took away from that game was the sense that the best way to beat the SeaHawks is to have a dynamic two TE attack that can help out in the run game and pass protection but also give you weapons that get open quickly over the middle of the field. You cannot simply run at them and the SB drove home the point that a WR based downfield passing attack simply is not going to have the time to be effective. The Patriots played the SeaHawks in Seattle in 2012 and gave them one of the best games they have had their the past couple os seasons, and their TE's were critical to their offensive success that day. had they played them in their current state in that SB they would have gotten drubbed imo and the only way they are getting by them next year if they get there is to have a healthy Gronkowski and a 2nd starting TE who can give them the same kind of receiving option The Prisoner gave them, and they can actually get that in this year's draft, and in all honesty if they have the chance I would love to see them double dip at the position because Gronk's health is always a question.

I particularly hated that stupid pistol formation the broncos were using, too much shotgun. Manning should have spent time under center and use the good old play action especially early in the game.
Yup, I agree. That would undoubtedly have been the difference-maker.

Play action relies on an effective run game, and the Seahawks knew the Bronco's weren't going to run the ball with Manning wanting to throw it 60 times.

Yup, I agree. That would undoubtedly have been the difference-maker.

I don't know if that would have won the game, but it would have set a better tone to start the game and give the offense time to settle down.Heck they probably avoid the safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots