Welcome to PatsFans.com

MMQB on Branch, Meriweather and others NE stuff

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MoLewisrocks, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

On Branch it's a two way street and I think both sides made mistakes and learned an unfortunate lesson in the process...

Brandon Meriweather, James Harrison hits deserve hefty punishment - Peter King - SI.com

2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,071 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Yup, yet again a quality player (q.v. Ty Law) prematurely ejaculates himself from the Pats roster and turns out that the benjamins on the other side are just equivalent yet inhibit achieving notable HOF status. The Twig made a career mistake and now returns as The Zombie. Watching his post game press conference was enlightening. Articulate and quixoticly both proud and humble. With his incessant ball washing praise of Tom Brady, were I Tom I'd be sure to keep my distance from Deion in the shower.

Exceeded my 'decent' expectations on his return. The major contribution to the W was needed.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Logan Mankins take note, you pissed away your big payday.

4. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +197 / 15 / -3

Ah, but it's a two way street. The Patriots and Branch were $500k apart. Branch LOST money, the idiot. The Patriots, though, lost a Super Bowl by his leaving.

Both the franchise and the idiot could have chipped in $250k and made up the difference.

Tedy Bruschi did it right. He took less, but what people never talk about is the fact that the Patriots never cut him. He played for many years at a very health salary. He never tried to max out only to get cut. Meanwhile, guys like London Fletcher are still playing, and London has been hovering around the veteran minimum for a few years now.

5. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +251 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wow, seeing it all in print like that.

That's really unfortunate.

6. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +623 / 7 / -1

#91 Jersey

I don't think that Branch would have left over 3mm. Hell, at the end of the day the guy is taking home <1.5 of that anyway. We'll never know the exact figures and I think that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. What some people don't seem to understand is that these guys have about 10 years of earning potential and that could end at any point. Don't forget that these contracts aren't guranteed and they play in the most violent sport on earth. Their bodies are trashed after their careers. I don't begrudge Branch at all for trying to make all that he could especially given his size. He's always been a good person, always works hard, always is respectful of his teammates and it's great to have the guy back. This irrational hatred of the guy for trying to maximize his income over a ten year period is frankly disgusting.

7. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

King isn't so bright.

Branch's offer from the Patriots required him to play 2006 still under his rookie salary. Seattle's allowed him to get paid quite a bit that year.

If I remember correctly, the way the Pats deal was structured, Branch was cuttable if he got hurt the first year (which he did).

Yeah, he probably would have put up better numbers in NE, but the NE deal was significantly more risky.

8. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The one big criticism I have of the Patriots organization is that they completely fail when it comes to communicating with their players. Players are human beings, and sometimes an understanding conversation is all that's needed.

There's no need to act tyrannical or so cold-blooded when it comes to contracts.

9. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +623 / 7 / -1

#91 Jersey

...and let's not forget that 36mm was Seymour money at the time. You really think they valued Branch like they valued Seymour in 2005? C'mon, those numbers are fictional.

10. borg

borg In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +626 / 27 / -29

One factor that never gets mentioned by the media, but is front and center in detirmining which team to play in, is state income tax. Many players want to maximize earning potential, playing in income -tax-free states like Washington if offers are the same. Branch's Seattle contract earned him to an extra $2 mill , free and clear, vs Taxachusetts. To clear this $2mill, over $3.5 of pretax income is needed if he stayed in Mass.

Look at Lebron James as an extreme example. Miami vs NYC. 38% total tax liability vs close to 60% for NYC residents at the highest level. Using a $100 mill contract as an example. $62 mill cleared vs $40 mill. So for Lebron to get the extra $22 mill difference in his bank clear of taxes (if he lived in NYC) he would need another $50 mill in income. Add in the real money, endorsements, etc. and we're talking cash money homey.

11. upstater1

Ratings:
    +197 / 15 / -3

How are you coming up with your figures?

Massachusetts is 5.3% tax and New York State is 6.85%.

5.3% tax on $36 million (taking out the 1.5 million paid to Branch's agent) is 1.8 million.

So, if the Patriots and Deion were $500k apart over 6 years, the tax ramification would mean they were an additional $300k apart, less when you realize that the state income tax gets deducted from the federal tax, so that $1.8 million he pays to Massachusetts saves him ($1.8 x 35% top Fed tax rate) $630k of Fed taxes, so the total additional losses per year because of state taxes are $200k.

12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,071 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Almost, at high incomes your itemized deductions go away

13. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +474 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

Not really.

NE had Indy on the ropes and the defense could not hold the lead. Brady had an uncovered WR (Gaffney?) on the right side and did not see him late in the game. All NE needed was one more 1st down in the 4th quarter to run the clock out.

There were numerous chances to beat Indy in the AFCC and NE would have killed Chicago in the SB for number 4.

14. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Not true. People keep confusing retaining a remaining year with not getting paid for a year. Deion still would have gotten his signing bonus up front and his guaranteed money FULLY guaranteed like they used to back in the day before the uncapped year... One of the reasons Brady was so upset when it was all said and done, and he was upset with both sides, was because of how it all unfolded. The Patriots finally upped the ante down the stretch but it was too late because both sides were dug in. That was what drove Brady nuts... They each had a case and they were both stubborn and wrong because they both cost this team and that was what he really realized and cared about at the time...

And he got hurt the second year after starting the first 5 games. He returned and didn't tear the ACL until the playoffs...Memory is selective and a funny thing...

15. upstater1

Ratings:
    +197 / 15 / -3

How many 3 and outs in the second half? You're telling me substituting Branch for Caldwell doesn't help them?

16. Grizzafted

Grizzafted Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I mean, all things considered, if we're going to wist.fully "what if" the fact that the Pats didn't bite the bullet and re-sign a key player half a decade ago, it's clearly Ty Law and not Branch, for me.

You could have lost Branch, and all things equal with Ty Law in the lineup for an additional three years, with the way he played in Belichick's system, I think you probably get another Super Bowl at least. No Indy comeback, no Duane Starks/Ellis Hobbs fiascos. Maybe no Plaxico catch.

haha you can't type "wist.fully" because it includes "st.fu"

17. Synovia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You've got some serious math issues there.

The max income tax brackets for NY is 6.85%(actually, just went up to 8.97) and NYC is 3.648%. Add the 35% max for federal, and you're looking at 47 or so.

Its nowhere near 60%.

18. Synovia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

His numbers are junk, but yours are old too.

NY state tax is 8.97% for high earners since 2009. NYC income tax is an additional 3.4%

19. Synovia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Of course he would have gotten his bonus paid. IIRC though, the way the NE deal was set up was it was 6 additional years, and the SEA job started this year.

I think a big chunk of the Patriots money was coming via roster bonus in the 2nd year though. I could be remembering it wrong, but I remember Branch getting significantly more money in the first 3 years in seattle.

20. upstater1

Ratings:
    +197 / 15 / -3

It's hard to say BUT, Ty Law was not there for the final Super Bowl win. Deion Branch was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.