PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB - Brady is last of the Mohicans and not planning to leave any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep saying, keep Brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load.

By 2014 I want Mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep Brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

Dude, are you INSANE??

This isn't BaseBall.

No way in HELL is that happening.

I keep saying, keep Brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load. By 2014 I want Mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep Brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

You know, if you want to roll with Mallett on the pre-season games, I am all for that. There are only so many bullets left on TFB's gun, so I would rather not have him out there....But I am not the coach or GM. Brady will play until he cannot. Then it's Hoyer's job, unless Mallett moves to #2. There will be no placing Brady under glass that reads "break in the event of divisional and playoff games."

Like everyone else, I agree that there are no co-QB's, unless you want to be the NYJ's. I am good, thanks. Pass.

And the more I think about it, you want to platoon a guy that's in the argument for GOAT??? Makes zero sense.

All I'm saying is if by resting Brady a few games out of the year can extend his playing career by two years then it is worth it. I'm not talking about platooning Brady rotating QBs every other series, I'm talking about giving Brady extra bye weeks. What I want to see is getting the most out of Brady, and if that means resting him and putting Mallet at the helm of a few games then I am all for it.

Why should I go to the Jets board when the issue at hand is Tom Brady's declining ability to perform at a top level in big games against good defenses.

This is what Mo and other Tommy PomPoms call drivel.

playoff year---passer rating---TD---INT---W/L

2007 Jax.........141.4...............3......0.......W
2007 SD...........66.4...............2......3.......W
2007 NYG.........82.5...............1......0........L (Super Bowl)

2009 BAL.........49.1................2......3........L

2010 NYJ..........89.0...............2......1........L

2011 DEN........137.6...............6......1.......W
2011 BAL..........57.5...............0......2.......W
2011 NYG.........91.9...............2......1........L (Super Bowl)

Much like in the regular season Brady feasts on the weak playoff sisters.
Against the Jags in '07 and Denver this year Tom's passer rating is
around 139 with 9 TD's and 1 INT - 2 wins

Now look at Tom's playoffs stats against the Giants twice, Baltimore twice and the Jets & Chargers once each since 2007.
Passer rating around 73 with 9 TD's and 10 INT - 2 wins and 4 losses

And these stats don't even refect the poor decisons (safety on 1st play from scrimmage in SB) or the poor passes (behind and high to a wide open Wes Welker) we're now seeing from Tom Brady.

Love Tom Brady. Hate that so many pompom wavers refuse to have an honest discussion about the player he IS.

Why do you claim to "love" Tom Brady when you're doing your level best to invent arguments against him? Football is a team game. This is nonsense.

All I'm saying is if by resting Brady a few games out of the year can extend his playing career by two years then it is worth it. I'm not talking about platooning Brady rotating QBs every other series, I'm talking about giving Brady extra bye weeks. What I want to see is getting the most out of Brady, and if that means resting him and putting Mallet at the helm of a few games then I am all for it.

Yeah! Or maybe they could go with a 4 man rotation. They could rotate Brady, Mallet, Hoyer and John Lester. :bricks:

There are still people who don't have RhodyPatriot on ignore?

I took everyone off ignore on draft day. Rhody hasn't been around spewing his nonsense enough for me to put him back on the list yet. I figure he'll end up back there soon enough.

man, i'm so happy that brady's not even considering retiring for 10 yrs. the way the nfl is going, i can definitely see that happening.

as the board's biggest tin foil hat wearer, it is well known that I scour other boards and try to piece together correlations between what "fans" post there to posts made here.

J.I. has a peculiar cretin who uses the login "RIJetfan"...interesting reading back through his posts...exact phrases used there THIS "Pat fan" uses here...coinky dinky???

Remember...I unmasked that complete ball of hate,628 from Gangrene the same way...he has since transmogrified into another login form...but the point remains the same...THIS site is infested with these green idiots who log in as "objective" Patriots fans and then post hundreds of negative, mocking and outright disingenuous messages...only to return to their own green cesspool sites and essentially use the same verbiage...as if no one is going to notice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhodyPatriot
Why should I go to the Jets board when the issue at hand is Tom Brady's declining ability to perform at a top level in big games against good defenses.

Against the Jags in '07 and Denver this year Tom's passer rating is
around 139 with 9 TD's and 1 INT - 2 wins

Now look at Tom's playoffs stats against the Giants twice, Baltimore twice and the Jets & Chargers once each since 2007.

And these stats don't even refect the poor decisons (safety on 1st play from scrimmage in SB) or the poor passes (behind and high to a wide open Wes Welker) we're now seeing from Tom Brady.

Love Tom Brady. Hate that so many pompom wavers refuse to have an honest discussion about the player he IS.

You mean he has better stats against the worst teams? Wow, what novel thinking. Tom must be the only one to do this.

IS.

Let's talk about the last SB game TB played. He set a record for consecutive passes completed (16) and had his team in the lead by 1+ scores when he injured his shoulder, after the injury hi QB rating was awful, prior to the injury it was great.

Hopefully something that this draft addressed is a much stronger defense, and with McDaniels back as OC, a greater emphasis on using screens and the running game. All of these things will help take some pressure off Brady so he doesn't have to be perfect, and put up 38 points every weekend for the Pats to win, that will help his longevity as much as anything.

Let's talk about the last SB game TB played. He set a record for consecutive passes completed (16) and had his team in the lead by 1+ scores when he injured his shoulder, after the injury hi QB rating was awful, prior to the injury it was great.

Im the last one to bring up an argument against TFB cause i love the dude, but when did he hurt his shoulder in the last SB? i honestly dont remember it.

anyway, Brady's overall performance in the last SB was very good, minus the int you cant call him out for anything happend in that game, as i recall.

Hopefully something that this draft addressed is a much stronger defense, and with McDaniels back as OC, a greater emphasis on using screens and the running game. All of these things will help take some pressure off Brady so he doesn't have to be perfect, and put up 38 points every weekend for the Pats to win, that will help his longevity as much as anything.

Exactly. The amount of burden placed entirely on Brady to carry the team last year (and to some extent, the previous year) was unfair to any quarterback of any age and caliber. I think everyone around here recognizes the fundamental flaws of the way that team was constructed and hope that all of the moves made this offseason help address the issues. Most threads these days seem to focus on them.

Just think what Brady might be able to accomplish with a more dynamic running game, a legitimate outside WR, and even an average defense.

Last edited:
Im the last one to bring up an argument against TFB cause i love the dude, but when did he hurt his shoulder in the last SB? i honestly dont remember it.

anyway, Brady's overall performance in the last SB was very good, minus the int you cant call him out for anything happend in that game, as i recall.

Justin Tuck beat Mankins (big surprise) and got to TFB, which reinjured the left shoulder which he injured during the Dolphins game earlier in the season.

Justin Tuck beat Mankins (big surprise) and got to TFB, which reinjured the left shoulder which he injured during the Dolphins game earlier in the season.

I remember the injury in the phins game, i remember justin tuck's getting to TFB but i dont remember any reports during the game itself or any indication that he is hurt, oh well...i guess the problem is with me :D

LOL Having observed him for a decade plus now I think it's a more logical conclusion to take him at his word and err on the side of he isn't remotely ready to walk away nor will he be any time soon. He is driven, and nothing else he's ever done or likely will do will replace what he experiences playing this game. As long as he can continue do so on an elite level, and there is ZERO sign of his losing anything mentally or physically to date that would preclude that, he will continue to.

The Favre comparison is worthless because Favre was about as self absorbed and needy as they come. And Warner was beat to crap and essentially lost his nerve and decided to go out on a high note after what he'd already experienced rather than wait to be carted out and replaced again.

PS They aren't going to carry him at $21.8M against the flat cap in 2013 and 2014 - trust me.

To argue with you over your first paragraph would be to argue over something neither you nor I can know, but about which we are both entitled to our opinions. You're saying you think you know what's in his mind based on years of observation, I'm saying we can't. But, as I said, there's nothing I can say to refute what you say.

I guess we just disagree on the second paragraph. Every human has his/her own idiosyncrasies and personality order/disorder; Favre is no different, but it doesn't change the facts of what he did, which was to play past his best years. Warner played too long, IMO. One doesn't have to be "carted" off to do so. Some of his statements suggest that his mental faculties aren't "all there," so it was high time for him to go when he did leave.

TB is signed through 2014, and I'm not questioning that he will play out his current contract, let alone arguing that he shouldn't.

Last edited:
I'm with ya here.....

I really believe he is the kind of person who will keep saying that he's playing forever until he announces one day that 'I'm done'.

to me, the most likely moment will be at the end of his current contract or maybe even a year sooner. 2-3 years is it to me.

I believe he is now at a point where his skills will begine to diminish, most likely due to an arm issue........watch

Its just a prediction, so the rump swabbers can stay relaxed in their 'knowing' that he will be with the pats forever

To argue with you over your first paragraph would be to argue over something neither you nor I can know, but about which we are both entitled to our opinions. You're saying you think you know what's in his mind based on years of observation, I'm saying we can't. But, as I said, there's nothing I can say to refute what you say.

I guess we just disagree on the second paragraph. Every human has his/her own idiosyncrasies and personality order/disorder; Favre is no different, but it doesn't change the facts of what he did, which was to play past his best years. Warner played too long, IMO. One doesn't have to be "carted" off to do so. Some of his statements suggest that his mental faculties aren't "all there," so it was high time for him to go when he did leave.

TB is signed through 2014, and I'm not questioning that he will play out his current contract, let alone arguing that he shouldn't.

And these stats don't even refect the poor decisons ..... or the poor passes ...we're now seeing from Tom Brady.

Not sure how you can do this comparison and not look at 1) earlier PS stats or 2) comparison of other qbs vs same teams
Added Defenses Reg Season-avg opp QB rating for each team (ESPN).

2001 OAK........70.4...............0......1.......W...................D=? no data
2001 PIT..........80.3...............0......0.......W...................D=? no data
2001 STL.........86.2...............1......0........W (Super Bowl) ..D=?no data

2003 TEN........73.3...............1......0......W...................D=25 (91.2)
2003 IND..........76.1...............1......1.......W...................D=23 (89.5)
2003 CAR.........100.5...............3......1........W (Super Bowl) ..D=4 (72)

2004 IND..........92.2...............1......0......W...................D=23 (89.5)
2004 PIT.........130.5...............2......0.......W...................D=3 (68)
2004 PHI.........110.2...............2......0........W (Super Bowl)..D= 8 (75.8)

2005 JAX.........116.4...............3......0......W...................D=15 (78)
2005 DEN.........74.0...............1......2.......L...................D=4 (72.2)

2006 JEST.........101.6...............2......0......W...................D=12 (78)
2006 SD............57.6...............2......3.......W...................D=11 (76.6)
2006 IND...........79.5...............1......1........L (AFCCG) ....D=15 (80.4)

YOUR STATS (EDITED)
2007 Jax.........141.4...............3......0.......W...................D=7 (76.1)
2007 SD...........66.4...............2......3.......W...................D=1 (70)
2007 NYG.........82.5...............1......0........L (Super Bowl)..D=17 (82.4)

2009 BAL.........49.1................2......3........L...................D= 6 (71.9)

2010 NYJ..........89.0...............2......1........L...................D=6 (71)

2011 DEN........137.6...............6......1.......W...................D=28 (93%)
2011 BAL..........57.5...............0......2.......W...................D=1 (68%)
2011 NYG.........91.9...............2......1........L (Super Bowl) D=21 (86%)

If you look at all above data - YOU HAVE TO SAY - uhhh there is no pattern. IT MUST BE DEPENDENT ON SOMETHING ELSE ( I would submit - team play)

for the most part TB has a higher QB rating than the D's avg opponent; but that isn't alwasy true - see 2006 AND 2009.

Your claim that he beats up on weak sisters doesnt explain a 130 vs the 3rd best pass def in 2004.
OR that he actually played better (2007 barely) than the NYG's other opponents avg in BOTH SB losses.

Using passrating is bad ju-ju anyway. pass rating to opp avg comparison says we should have beat the jets in 2010 and lost to the ravens in 2011. But passes that set up rushing TDs dont count much. And sometimes timing of bad plays mean more than the bad play itself.

PS: using the example of the never before called in the entire season intentional grounding (= safety) for an overthrown ball down the middle of the field is not exactly the best choice of saying TB has poorer decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back