PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB - Brady is last of the Mohicans and not planning to leave any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that they have already restructured Brady's last extension, which neither side portrayed as a to retirement deal, coupled with the ownership predicted flat cap through 2014, clearly screams another incremental extension to retirement deal in 2013 or prior to 2014 to manage the cap in lieu of $21M QB cap hits or now prohibitive franchise tags (which his individual restructure increased the cost of exponentially).

But that's just me and mostly common sense.

It seems a lot more logical to me than projecting a Bradyless 2012 during which the third string QB seemlessly leads us to an AFCC game. Especially since Brady's dead 2013 cap hit would be around $14M and any third stringer in that instance would immediately be looking for his first big 5 year franchise QB contract extension.

oops, missed this one when I replied above.

You post this drivel and all I see is :blahblah: :blahblah:....

You should migrate to the JETS boards where they are again arguing about whether the QB's coach is another moron who should have been axed along with the former OC or whether Sanchez himself is simply a moron doomed to making persistently poor decisions.

Why should I go to the Jets board when the issue at hand is Tom Brady's declining ability to perform at a top level in big games against good defenses.

This is what Mo and other Tommy PomPoms call drivel.

playoff year---passer rating---TD---INT---W/L

2007 Jax.........141.4...............3......0.......W
2007 SD...........66.4...............2......3.......W
2007 NYG.........82.5...............1......0........L (Super Bowl)

2009 BAL.........49.1................2......3........L

2010 NYJ..........89.0...............2......1........L

2011 DEN........137.6...............6......1.......W
2011 BAL..........57.5...............0......2.......W
2011 NYG.........91.9...............2......1........L (Super Bowl)

Much like in the regular season Brady feasts on the weak playoff sisters.
Against the Jags in '07 and Denver this year Tom's passer rating is
around 139 with 9 TD's and 1 INT - 2 wins

Now look at Tom's playoffs stats against the Giants twice, Baltimore twice and the Jets & Chargers once each since 2007.
Passer rating around 73 with 9 TD's and 10 INT - 2 wins and 4 losses

And these stats don't even refect the poor decisons (safety on 1st play from scrimmage in SB) or the poor passes (behind and high to a wide open Wes Welker) we're now seeing from Tom Brady.

Love Tom Brady. Hate that so many pompom wavers refuse to have an honest discussion about the player he IS.

You give new meaning to the phrase stats are for losers. Because in football that is the case even when you don't cherry pick them or present them in a vacuum. Look at his stats from the beginning, and for rational comparison look at his competitors stats in similar circumstances (or as similar as any come to his consistent level of performance). And remember, for the last couple of years they were facing one of the poorer statistically ranked defenses in the league as it transitioned from one of the top rated ones for much of the prior decade. And of course if you wanted to be more than merely rational you'd factor in things like relative health of the team and it's opponents when they met. But you're not interested in rational or relative comparisons. It's easier to be a kneejerk fan and pick a target to blame for whatever in the hell happened to lead to your disappointment. Brady and whomever the OC is just land in the kneejerks target range more frequently because they're easy targets for generalized or mindless frustration.

Tom is pretty much the same player he always was. Situations and conditions and rosters and opponents change. Brady is the one constant that even gets them into target range for his knee jerk critics to biatch about.

Brady put up historic numbers last year, while carrying a team without a defense to the Super Bowl. I can't see any reason why he'd be worrying about retirement anytime soon.

Manning, on the other hand, is a year older and just had to have his neckbolts re-tightened. I could see him retiring at any time.

Agreed although I think it was Archie who recently said Peyton could play for another 10 years

Last edited:
Personally, I think Brady will remain far and away the best option at starter for this team for at least another 4-5 seasons in part because this team did not and will not on Belichick's watch find itself in the same position the Colts did when an injury cost their QB an entire season. And had the Colts even managed 8-8 or 6-10 last season Peyton wouldn't be in Denver these days. Tom knows that theoretically it can happen to anyone, but until he gets passed on the depth chart here or literally can't answer the bell, it ain't happening here. And I think if and when that happens, he will think long and hard about walking away on joint terms vs. clinging to the hope these guys miscalculated...

Tom Brady has impressive*longevity; an inspirational tale; more league notes - Peter King - SI.com

Way too many variables to assess how many years it might be. And, among those variables, the only one we can observe is how he does on the field. We have no access either to the real state of his health or to how he really feels about playing football or to how he feels about life outside of football.

I doubt he'll stop saying he wants to play 10 more years until the day he stops saying it...which could be the day he retires. Why would he? There's no upside in it for him to say anything else and a lot of downside.

I don't see Brady as Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, continuing to play at a very good but not great level as his team's best option but not at his own best level.

I'll stick by what I've said out here before. I think he'll play out his existing contract over the next three seasons and ride off into the sunset with his mental and physical faculties fully intact and a future of pure gold, whether he decides to spend it on a beach with his wife and kids or whether he builds a business with Gisele, perhaps out of his affiliation with Under Armour or UGG.

Last edited:
Why should I go to the Jets board when the issue at hand is Tom Brady's declining ability to perform at a top level in big games against good defenses...

Because you're one of a handful of the most clueless posters on this site, and you'd fit right in with Ray Ray.

Way too many variables to assess how many years it might be. And, among those variables, the only one we can observe is how he does on the field. We have no access either to the real state of his health or to how he really feels about playing football or to how he feels about life outside of football.

I'll stick by what I've said out here before. I think he'll play out his existing contract over the next three seasons and ride off into the sunset with his mental and physical faculties fully intact and a future of pure gold, whether he decides to spend it on a beach with his wife and kids or whether he builds a business with Gisele, perhaps out of his affiliation with Under Armour or UGG.

LOL Having observed him for a decade plus now I think it's a more logical conclusion to take him at his word and err on the side of he isn't remotely ready to walk away nor will he be any time soon. He is driven, and nothing else he's ever done or likely will do will replace what he experiences playing this game. As long as he can continue do so on an elite level, and there is ZERO sign of his losing anything mentally or physically to date that would preclude that, he will continue to.

The Favre comparison is worthless because Favre was about as self absorbed and needy as they come. And Warner was beat to crap and essentially lost his nerve and decided to go out on a high note after what he'd already experienced rather than wait to be carted out and replaced again.

PS They aren't going to carry him at $21.8M against the flat cap in 2013 and 2014 - trust me.

It's pretty incredible to me that Brady has had some of his best years after the knee surgery. I remember debating with some others about whether he'd ever be the same. Turns out he's better.

It's pretty incredible to me that Brady has had some of his best years after the knee surgery. I remember debating with some others about whether he'd ever be the same. Turns out he's better.

His mobility is more limited, and what little running ability he used to possess seems to be permanently gone, but his experience has more than offset that to this point in time. I'm just hoping he doesn't get to Dan Marino level immobility as he nears the end of his career.

We know we want it to last forever.

We know it has to end.

We don't know when.

Given everything we do know, it looks safe to say a couple-3 more years is a lock, barring major injury or SERIOUS on-field decline (does not seem likely).

Everything else is gravy. In fact, we're sort of in the "gravy" area already, if you consider that he's had a run of 11 great years already.

A couple more rings, Tom. To use Junior's phrase, we want you to be part of ever. (I mean that in the sense that you're still going to have to be a NE homer to say "best to ever play the game..." One more ring and you've got an argument. Two and you have to be a Montana homer to deny it.)

Love Tom Brady. Hate that so many pompom wavers refuse to have an honest discussion about the player he IS.

I sincerely doubt you are a fan of Tom Brady having read your posts. In fact, I question if you even root for the Patriots anymore or would rather just see your contrarian views vindicated, like so many other fans on this board.

At the very least, you're guilty of not appreciating his greatness - nor understanding playoff football - if you try to reduce his games to stats and cherry pick key moments from other games.

Any QB is going to have better numbers against worse defenses than great ones. Your point is foolish and your posts borders on asinine. If you want to go by numbers, the guy was 20-23 with 2TDs this past February until he took a shot to the shoulder, yet I'm sure you blame the loss on him.

There are still people who don't have RhodyPatriot on ignore?

The greats don't leave them game; the game leaves them.

Barring serious injury, which is of course a threat for every player, Brady will simply reach a point where the mind is able and the spirit willing, but the flesh is weak.

The fact that this topic keeps coming up repeatedly, from various sources, indicates that way out on the horizon, many can see the end approaching.

As fans, let's hope "value" doesn't get in the way of winning another SB or two to cement Brady's legacy as the GOAT! :rocker:

Last edited:
Brady is a competitor. I read that he used to get crazy competitive for the dominoes game in the locker room. He is going to be like Favre, Marino, etc. and have to be pried away from the game in the end. I think he will do it with more dignity than Favre though.

I expect Brady to play until his body won't let him whether it is two years from now or in his early 40s. The good new for him is most of what makes him special is in his head and not in his legs or arms (although he does throw one of the best spirals in the game). That means barring injuries he could play until he is in his early 40s.

I think he is serious about wanting to play for another ten years. I think as long as he can be at least an above average QB, he will continue playing until that date.

One thing going for him unlike QBs before him is that over the last 5 years the rules have changed to protect the QB and he hasn't taken the abuse as guys like Montana and Marino had where their skills declined rapidly in their mid to late 30s.

I keep saying, keep Brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load. By 2014 I want Mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep Brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

I keep saying, keep Brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load. By 2014 I want Mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep Brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

Over TFB's dead body would that happen. You can't have 2 starting QBs, co-QBs don't work, you need your starting QB to be the Alpha male, the unquestioned leader of the team, sharing the position doesnt work.

Over TFB's dead body would that happen. You can't have 2 starting QBs, co-QBs don't work, you need your starting QB to be the Alpha male, the unquestioned leader of the team, sharing the position doesnt work.

TB would be the starter, Mallet would be the developmental heir apparent to the starting QB position. It would be like how teams bench starters after they lock up a playoff spot, only used more often.

TB would be the starter, Mallet would be the developmental heir apparent to the starting QB position. It would be like how teams bench starters after they lock up a playoff spot, only used more often.

We don't even do that. Your scenario is not gonna happen. Football players play football. That is one of BB's mantras. Brady even finishes most blowouts because he's earned the right to and playing on Sunday is what they all put in the work for all season, every day. Sucks to be a backup here for that reason alone but it is what it is. Mallett will have to earn his snaps and on a roster with Brady and even Hoyer that will be a difficult task for as long as he and either of them is here. And FWIW Bill doesn't do developmental heir apparent's. You don't start here until you pass the incumbant on the depth chart and/or they carry him off the field.

Last edited:
We don't even do that. Your scenario is not gonna happen. Football players play football. That is one of BB's mantras. Brady even finishes most blowouts because he's earned the right to and playing on Sunday is what they all put in the work for all season, every day. Sucks to be a backup here for that reason alone but it is what it is. Mallett will have to earn his snaps and on a roster with Brady and even Hoyer that will be a difficult task for as long as he and either of them is here. And FWIW Bill doesn't do developmental heir apparent's. You don't start here until you pass the incumbant on the depth chart and/or they carry him off the field.
I think that might change to keep Brady healthy, I see no reason to keep Brady in during blowouts, if he gets hurt playing in garbage time we are screwed, it's probably the only Belichick decision that I can't find myself agreeing with.

I think that might change to keep Brady healthy, I see no reason to keep Brady in during blowouts, if he gets hurt playing in garbage time we are screwed, it's probably the only Belichick decision that I can't find myself agreeing with.

And yet it's been his decision consistently. One reason being if he gets pissed we're more screwed... You're either all in and Brady is or you got one foot out the door and mentally check out. Bill is too smart a football coach to play scared and screw the pooch trying to hedge his injury bets. If you're not injured to the point you cannot perform at an acceptable level or without risking further injury you play. If you can't play hurt you're of little use to Bill because players are hurting from week 1 on (and sometimes sooner) in this league. Sometimes that is part of the reason why they move on from even elite (when perfectly healthy) guys here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes