MLB has it's version of Spy Gate!

TB=TD

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Signs of trouble in Toronto

By: Amy K. Nelson and Peter Keating

ESPN The Magazine

"Not too easy, is it?"

From the visitors bullpen at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, an American League pitcher screamed at Blue Jays right fielder Jose Bautista as he took his position late in a game in the spring of 2010.

"It's not too [f------] easy to hit home runs when you don't know what's coming!
"

Baseball's Toronto Blue Jays under suspicion again of stealing signs at Rogers Centre - ESPN

More crap. This has been going on for a long time. "IMO",Red Sox are guilty of this as well as a lot of other teams. This isn't a big deal just like Spygte should of never been a big deal.

More crap. This has been going on for a long time. "IMO",Red Sox are guilty of this as well as a lot of other teams. This isn't a big deal just like Spygte should of never been a big deal.

Mirror images but Toronto's lack of recent success should sweep this away quickly.

Wake me when this rises to the level of Branca v. Thomson.

:yawn2:

I remember writers making the comparison in 07, saying "Stealing signs in baseball is gamesmenship, what the Patriots are doing is cheating!!!"

However, I just don't think this will gain traction. If it was the Yankees or Red Sox maybe; not for the Blue Jays. Imagine if the Jaguars were caught filming signals back in 07...it would be harder to find on Google than Peyton Manning's Tennessee Sexual Harrassment case or the rape charges brought against Mark Sanchez at USC.

Toronto Blue Jays Director of Video Operations Steve Scarnecchia was unavailable for comment :)

Makes you wonder if all those championships the Blue Jays won recently are legit. Since stealing signs doesn't ever happen in sports and only they have had this distinct competitive advantage.

Going to move this to the Practice Squad for 2 reasons:

1. the mention of spy gate.
2 it's about baseball.

I remember writers making the comparison in 07, saying "Stealing signs in baseball is gamesmenship, what the Patriots are doing is cheating!!!"

However, I just don't think this will gain traction. If it was the Yankees or Red Sox maybe; not for the Blue Jays. Imagine if the Jaguars were caught filming signals back in 07...it would be harder to find on Google than Peyton Manning's Tennessee Sexual Harrassment case or the rape charges brought against Mark Sanchez at USC.

It doesn't matter who it is in baseball. That reporter is hoping it sticks to get a good reaction is all.

Texas Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba accuses New York Yankees of stealing signs - ESPN

Already had it last year: Phillies Busted. Nothing came of that, nothing will come of this.

And what I posted then: "Buster Olney (on Mike & Mike) said it's different than Spygate because the signs are in full view and everybody does it. I swear to God, that's what he said. And they seemed to agree."

Last edited:

I remember a survey on that topic back then and the results were the same as the writer's opinion. Something like 75% were okay with stealing signs in baseball, but only 30% of the same people thought it was okay to steal signs in football :confused:

Seems a big difference to me is that it looks like stealing baseball signs actually has an outcome on the game being played at the time whereas recording defensive football coach signs has no benefit to the game being played.

So why is this 'cheating' only affecting power? Why not average or all the other offensive categories?

Toronto's been a homer-oriented team for as long as I can remember, is it alleged that they've been getting away with this for over 10 years?

It seems to me that the 'man in white' may have just been signaling where the catcher was setting up and he may very well have decided to do that all by himself.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back