Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mitt Romney and Al Franken

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Bostonian1962, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

They are on two extreme ends of the political spectrum, but it's hard for me to hate either of them.

I met Al Franken on a flight to California several years ago. He could not have been nicer. Genuinely nice, friendly, guy! Great sense of humor. Likeable.

I met Mitt Romney in Houston when the Pats were there for the Super Bowl. Same thing. Super nice. Friendly. Signed a football for my wife and I.

So, it's hard for me to hate either of these two gents.

Any "political" types that you've all met that left a good or sour taste?
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This local for New Hampshire, but I met Jeb Bradley at a 5k road race that I ran in. He was a congressman from New Hampshire before last year's elections. He was more than amicable, gentlemanly, and just all around great. It's a shame that he lost, he tried to do a lot of great things for NH and would have continued to do so.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Tip O'niel was a friend of my grandfather. Saw him all the time in church when he was home. I was a kid, but I thought it was cool that the Speaker hung out with us after church. Really great guy.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I met Mario Cuomo years ago, who was very warm and friendly. I met Rosalind Carter, who was standoffish and seemed nervous. I also had the opportunity to drive Carter's Chief of Staff, Hamilton Jordan, around Albany, NY, and he was just a regular guy who was really enjoyable to talk to.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Tip hated Ham Jordan and the Carter Boys. Said they were arrogant and dismissive.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Well, I spent a day driving Hamilton Jordan to various events in the Albany area in the luxury of my AMC Gremlin! I remember that back I wanted the government to provide grants to shore up alternative media because of the same sort of issues many of us have today with the MSM. We got into a really nice discussion about it, and I remember how I felt that he treated me like an equal. There was nothing at all arrogant or dismissive about him that day.
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I met Algore once, many moons ago, when he was campaigning in NH. He was surrounded by a lot of media and was just shaking hands, so it wasn't like we had a conversation or anything.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

I've met a bunch of local polls. Ed Markey stick out the most. He was a good friend of my dads way back when, about 20 years ago. He gave my dad a real hand in expanding his business. When I was a kid, like 11 or 12 maybe, we (my whole family) took a train ride down to Baltimore and DC. Congressman Markey told my dad to bring us all by his office, and he personally took us around on a site seeing tour of the halls of congress. It was so cool. He was real, real nice.

Other people I've met are Tom Menino, Paul Cellucci, Rishard Tisei, Eugene Flagherty, & Gus Serra.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

Church? How eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!

:D
  10. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Great stories everybody. Thanks.

I have a brother who is an airline pilot. He met Gerald Ford on a flight once, and said he was as nice as you'd think he'd be.

He met daddy George Bush on a golf course in Maine and said he was EXTREMELY nice. He said we was genuine, and witty, and hung out and talked for a few minutues.

To have shaken the hands of two former presidents is pretty cool. I got some catching up to do. Maybe I should be rooting for Mitt Romney, since he signed a football for me.

For you Patriot fans, there are three autographs on that football. Romney, Steve DeOssie, and Fred Smerlis. Hmmm.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

When I was a kid, I did lawn work for a rich old guy who as a child played in the White House with Teddy Roosevelt's sons. The guy I knew recalled running up and down the White House staircase engaging in pillow fights, feathers flying everywhere. Teddy occasionally even joined in the fun.
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's a pretty cool story, but I happen to like Teddy Roosevelt a lot. I find it pretty humorous that he used to pillow fight with his kids. That's awesome.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

Steve DeOssie is in my fantasy football league.
  14. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Believe it or not, every single NYC cop I know that has met Al Sharpton says that he is a nice guy. I have nver had the pleasure.