Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mitt Romney and Al Franken

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Bostonian1962, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

They are on two extreme ends of the political spectrum, but it's hard for me to hate either of them.

I met Al Franken on a flight to California several years ago. He could not have been nicer. Genuinely nice, friendly, guy! Great sense of humor. Likeable.

I met Mitt Romney in Houston when the Pats were there for the Super Bowl. Same thing. Super nice. Friendly. Signed a football for my wife and I.

So, it's hard for me to hate either of these two gents.

Any "political" types that you've all met that left a good or sour taste?

2. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This local for New Hampshire, but I met Jeb Bradley at a 5k road race that I ran in. He was a congressman from New Hampshire before last year's elections. He was more than amicable, gentlemanly, and just all around great. It's a shame that he lost, he tried to do a lot of great things for NH and would have continued to do so.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Tip O'niel was a friend of my grandfather. Saw him all the time in church when he was home. I was a kid, but I thought it was cool that the Speaker hung out with us after church. Really great guy.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

I met Mario Cuomo years ago, who was very warm and friendly. I met Rosalind Carter, who was standoffish and seemed nervous. I also had the opportunity to drive Carter's Chief of Staff, Hamilton Jordan, around Albany, NY, and he was just a regular guy who was really enjoyable to talk to.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Tip hated Ham Jordan and the Carter Boys. Said they were arrogant and dismissive.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

Well, I spent a day driving Hamilton Jordan to various events in the Albany area in the luxury of my AMC Gremlin! I remember that back I wanted the government to provide grants to shore up alternative media because of the same sort of issues many of us have today with the MSM. We got into a really nice discussion about it, and I remember how I felt that he treated me like an equal. There was nothing at all arrogant or dismissive about him that day.

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I met Algore once, many moons ago, when he was campaigning in NH. He was surrounded by a lot of media and was just shaking hands, so it wasn't like we had a conversation or anything.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

I've met a bunch of local polls. Ed Markey stick out the most. He was a good friend of my dads way back when, about 20 years ago. He gave my dad a real hand in expanding his business. When I was a kid, like 11 or 12 maybe, we (my whole family) took a train ride down to Baltimore and DC. Congressman Markey told my dad to bring us all by his office, and he personally took us around on a site seeing tour of the halls of congress. It was so cool. He was real, real nice.

Other people I've met are Tom Menino, Paul Cellucci, Rishard Tisei, Eugene Flagherty, & Gus Serra.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

Church? How eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!

:D

10. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Great stories everybody. Thanks.

I have a brother who is an airline pilot. He met Gerald Ford on a flight once, and said he was as nice as you'd think he'd be.

He met daddy George Bush on a golf course in Maine and said he was EXTREMELY nice. He said we was genuine, and witty, and hung out and talked for a few minutues.

To have shaken the hands of two former presidents is pretty cool. I got some catching up to do. Maybe I should be rooting for Mitt Romney, since he signed a football for me.

For you Patriot fans, there are three autographs on that football. Romney, Steve DeOssie, and Fred Smerlis. Hmmm.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +573 / 22 / -19

When I was a kid, I did lawn work for a rich old guy who as a child played in the White House with Teddy Roosevelt's sons. The guy I knew recalled running up and down the White House staircase engaging in pillow fights, feathers flying everywhere. Teddy occasionally even joined in the fun.

12. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's a pretty cool story, but I happen to like Teddy Roosevelt a lot. I find it pretty humorous that he used to pillow fight with his kids. That's awesome.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

Steve DeOssie is in my fantasy football league.

14. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Believe it or not, every single NYC cop I know that has met Al Sharpton says that he is a nice guy. I have nver had the pleasure.