Welcome to PatsFans.com

MIT model projects collapse of civilization by 2052

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Looks like the Republicans/Religionists have something to look forward to:

2052: The New 2012 – Nat Geo TV Blogs

Move over 2012, a new end-of-days era is upon us and it is 2052

A computer model developed in the 70s by MIT, called World3, predicted a major collapse of civilization. Based on a number of factors from climate change to overusing our resources, the findings revealed that the planetary stress placed on our planet was so strong that there was no way to undo what had been started unless drastic changes were made. It was hotly debated at the time, but now it’s back in big way.

Now, some of the original modelers from the World3 project are plugging new scenarios into a similar simulation explored in a new book 2052: A Global Forecast for the Next Forty Years. While the various possibilities differ in many ways, the ultimate outcome is the same… and it’s looking grim.

The updated World3 computer model is saying the same thing it was saying back in the 70s: we are on a fast-track to the total collapse of civilization — but this time there’s no way to stop it because the “sustainable pathways” the original simulation foresaw are no longer available to us. In effect, we’ve gone too far. This new model is predicting that once the population peaks at 8-9 billion, it will crash rapidly down taking much of civilization-as-we-know-it with it, heralding the arrival of its newest apocalyptic scenario on or around 2052.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Hey, I know you're just the messanger, but thanks for ruining another day Tune!

Jeesh!

The human species is so smart, we're stupid.

So if it's inevitable, why keep trying? May as well pack it in now, huh?

Suggestion: Everyone start watching "Doomseday Preppers"

So do you want me to tell everyone on the planet, or do you want to do it?
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +477 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Oh, cheer up. We'll probably be dead before then from old age. And maybe a global pandemic will intervene to stem the overpopulation steamroller.

Actually, this lends credence to the concept of humanity as a global virus in and of itself. Agent Smith from "The Matrix" was right!
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Oh go meditate somewhere Tune! (based on your avatar)

So, humanity is a virus that is ruining our planet? But if humanity weren't here, who'd record everything?:D

How would the rest of universe ever find out about Tom Brady?
  5. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +477 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I wish I had more faith in humanity. Sometimes I feel glimmers of hope. Then, I see things like this:

UPDATED: Wal-Mart on Black Friday? Wild Footage From a Georgia Store Shows Chaos

Riot or Wal-Mart on Black Friday? Wild Footage From a Georgia Store Shows Chaos | Video | TheBlaze.com
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

Yeah, someone already posted that in aonother thread. I have never witnessed so much insanity. Honestly, one would have to be barely human to participate in that.

I wish we could identify each & every person who was in that vid and post their names online....kinda the modern version of "tar & feathering".

BTW...that vid shows Reality and it IS Doom & Gloom.

Need to call my therapist....
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Man, I'll be in over 90 then. That's going to really suck. At least weed will be legal by then.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

agent smith : humans are a virus - YouTube

Hugo Weaving ruled those movies.

They postulated that the late 90s were the zenith of our civilization... before the Pats had won any Super Bowls.

So I guess if I make it to 90, I can stop worrying about my longevity risk. See you get all sorts of good investment advice on this board...
  9. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +477 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

It's hard to see stuff like that and not be pessimistic about the human race. That was a riot over prepaid cell phones. What if they needed food or water to stay alive? Can you imagine?

You mentioned the "Doomsday Preppers" show. While most of the people on that strike me as kooks, there is something to be said for being prepared for self-sufficiency in event of a crisis. The question is: prepping for HOW LONG? Weeks? Months? Years?
  10. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -1

Good, we need to start over. One thing is certain though... when all the stuff hits the machine that blows air there will be no more liberals ;)
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +585 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

As we approach these years people will be wise to properly arm themselves and learn survival skills. We are very capable of living off the land and we can do so again. It will be very interesting to see the political dynamics of the country change as the inner USA becomes more populated at the expense of the 3 coasts.
  12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

Yes, because as is well known, human beings naturally gravitate toward continental interiors -- the further away from water, the better.

:ugh:

I mean, come on Icy. Moving away from lowlands might mean a very big dislocation, but it would be dislocation toward the first higher ground the movers come to. A hilly chunk of the same city, where available. Don't talk to me about Miami, but I think anything with the word "heights" appended to it will fare better than anything ending in "island," as far as New York goes (as we've just seen.)

I don't think we'll empty out the coasts in my lifetime, and by the way, if you're counting the Gulf, you might as well count the Lakes ;)

And about the doomsday prepping? I do comfort myself that we're the last (to date) of a long line of human generations who have been convinced that they were living in the End of Days.

It's a grand and time-honored human tradition. Fire and brimstone, duck and cover, lock and load... it's all the same damn hooey every time.

PFnV
  13. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Doomsday prepping seems like such a daunting task! So much too it, I don't know, I think I am herd fodder...
  14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

This is why they strike you as kooks.

Usually they're acting like they've got it all covered, and acting as if they're the only ones who know that if they close the stores, most people are in real trouble pretty fast.

That's why we make real sure the stores don't all close for a few weeks at a time.

Prior to the last century, much of the world observed the cancer-like growth of heartless global capitalism, in which every worker everywhere would be reduced to faceless cinders of men... the only answer would be revolution, which everybody was afraid of...

About the middle of the last century, we absolutely, positively were bent on creating a planet full of warring dictatorships, with permanent rationing, bombardment, and carnage.

Around halftime of the 20th, we were convinced we would annihilate each other through a nuclear exchange (although global man-made plagues through bio-warfare was another popular way for the world to end.)

Now it's climate change and the exhaustion of our natural resources.

Yeah, big challenges. Yeah "this time it's different." It's always "different" "this time."

Sorry to be the voice of complacency here. I should add, however, that some of our friends on the right seem to be positively licking their chops over the idea that their guns n ammo fetish and their rugged individualist political philosophy will translate soon to brighter prospects.

Hey geniuses, two things:

1) you'll note that your fetishes and philosophies are more likely to produce the post-apocalyptic wasteland in which you are so certain you'll thrive, and

2) that much-hoped for state of living ain't gonna be good for anybody, no matter how they'd vote if there were still elections. Your fancy for becoming a dirt-poor perpetually paranoid hunter-gatherer or maybe cannibal is directly at odds with the whole project of civilization in the first place. It's unlikely that you'll find the unfortunate consummation of your fetish as delicious as the long period of anticipation.

It would be unfortunate to find that there are no liberals after the collapse of civilization; that would just slow its reconstruction. If there are not, however, it's just as likely that that would be the cause of the collapse, not one of its effects.

In fact, taking the MIT model's dire predictions, one can hardly avoid the "inevitable" with conservative philosophies -- to do that, you need liberalism.

PFnV
  15. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +477 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

My personal take on "prepper syndrome" is that anyone who dedicates their life to it is missing the boat on what life is all about. BUT, I think it only makes sense to be prepared for self-sustainability in weathering a crisis -- be it a hurricane, a 100-year blizzard, or some sort of civil breakdown. Which, to me, means one to three months of supplies on hand.
  16. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would take it with a grain of salt,

Since none of us know the future,(a computer can't think for itself,its told what to think by data and stats)and I don't trust what any computer says,so I don't put a ton of stock into it.

What happens if we have a huge tech breakthrough? Does the computer take that in to consideration? Dose the computer really know the limits of the earth?and what it can and can't sustain? Dose the computer take into account if we start going into space places like Mars and the moon?

The world will be fine, in 100 years my kids will be ziping around in space eating dry ice cream.

Do we need to clean up the earth? Yes
    Do we need to find better ways to conserve our resources? Yes

Fact is no one not even a computer knows the limits of the earth, all I know is the earth has been around a very very very long time and has been through a ton of stuff, its still here and still kicking!

If I put a bunch of scary numbers into a computer and it spits out bad news that's to be expected, since its pretty much doing what its told. If you put happy numbers it spits out good numbers its to be expected. Before I can even think to trust this computer sim I would need to know the parameters first and then the numbers going into the computer and how those said numbers were obtained.

Human beings always over-react and just look up computer models and stock market models and voting models and a ton of other computer models that are wrong on a daily basis.
  17. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, there'll be nothing but liberals.

But don't let that stop you from putting "one thing is certain" before every debatable statement you seem to ever make. LOL
  18. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'll be in my 70s by then, if I make it that far. Someone of my height, with my athletic background and injury history probably won't make it that far. I guess I don't have to worry. My kids will deal with it.

Wait, are we talking about the deficit or the end of the world?
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +335 / 6 / -8

haven't you heard? Same thing!
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 3 / -10

If it were announced the world would end in 6 months, I don't think I'd have the energy to prepare. Why waste energy preparing to survive in a nightmare?