PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Missing WMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad thing is, KW II is right. The Cleveland O-coordinator is awful, a terrible hire by Romeo. Romeo is a great leader, and his subordinates love him. For that reason, I'm not sure he can make the tough call, like firing his friend. I wish him the best, although I believe Savage, the GM, to be a nitwit whose drafts are very suspect. Handing Haloti Ngata to the Ravens so you could draft Wimbley is comical. My take on the Browns: a very tough first half, until Charlie Frye, Winslow and Edwards get on the same page, and then a surge in the second half, leading to a 7-9, 8-8 type record, enough to save FO jobs.

It sure gets ugly around here...

when the lemurs come out for the bashing.

"His "injury" happened during pregame warmups after it was announced he wasn't starting. "

"I can't help but feel a bit bad for Willie, although I know I shouldn't since he has made his choice and cashed in. "

" Willie made a very bad career move."

" Were he to have renegotiated with the Pats .... "

This guy was the class of the organization for years, through three coaching changes and made more game winning plays than I can remember. This community acts like he is some piece of **** that came here for a few years and then left for more money. WTF ?

Folks, he was CUT by this organization. Patriots did not even make him an offer, with all the cap money they have, they simply didn't want him back. Perpetuating the lie that he was a free agent who left for more money shows little class, and I think he deserves better.

Re: It sure gets ugly around here...

D-cleater said:
Folks, he was CUT by this organization. Patriots did not even make him an offer, with all the cap money they have, they simply didn't want him back. Perpetuating the lie that he was a free agent who left for more money shows little class, and I think he deserves better.
I believe the point in bold was refuted by Willie himself.

D-cleater said:
This guy was the class of the organization for years, through three coaching changes and made more game winning plays than I can remember. This community acts like he is some piece of **** that came here for a few years and then left for more money. WTF ?

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you post.

1) Willie was "CUT" because the last year of his contract was a dummy year. Something that WILLIE even said was the case.

2) You have your information incorrect. Willie WAS given an offer to re-do his contract. He turned it down thinking that he could get more on the free market. There are also rumors that Willie had all but signed an offer to go to Cleveland even before the end of last season. So, yes, Willie left to get more money whether you want to believe it or not.

3) You don't know what you are talking about regarding the cap. The Patriots, while Miguel lists that they have 12.6 Million in free cap space, also puts in the caveat that the Patriots need to pay Seymour his 6.66 million bonus this year and it looks like they would prefer to take it as a lump sum so they can have better cap numbers for him in the future. That leaves less than 6 million to cover injury signings and extensions for guys like Koppen, Samuel, Graham and Wilson.

4) I guess you were out to lunch when McGinest ripped into the Patriots a few weeks ago. That isn't a sign of CLASS. That's a sign of arrogance.

By the way, I just wanted to say that yours and Pats1's breakdowns are masterpieces, and thank you. This place is still the first and last place to get caught up on everything Patriots.

I'm watching all the X Pats greats this year.

Andruzzi, Patten, and so on,.......Washington????...........lol

The more recent, AV, WM, DG, DB, damn we've lost our whole team in just the last 4 years.

Maybe someone else would like to follow along with me, so as I don't lie or
tell an untruth about how much they are helping thier current team, and how
the Pats just cut them loose for no apparent reason, money?,.........naaa.

My particular focus is on Givens, a true #1 WR.?

Follow me and learn as I'm getting pi--ed at all the experts on this board
who fanticsize, justify, rationalize, and down and out don't know. :D

If you don't like what I'm typing so be it, waiting to be proved wrong. ;)

To you true Pats fans who have a grasp of the game ~S~. To the rest :)~

Box_O_Rocks said:
I believe the point in bold was refuted by Willie himself.

Well, if thats true, then I retract my statement. But, we really don't know what he was offered, do we?

I'm not saying we should keep all of our old players. However, Willie Mac had a contract and the Pats essentially fired him. I can't blame him for signing for more money somewhere else any more than I blame the Pats FO for trading Branch when he wouldn't honor his contract.

Edit - this post was supposed to be made before the last one - weird.

Last edited:

DaBruinz said:
Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you post.

I guess you were out to lunch when McGinest ripped into the Patriots a few weeks ago. That isn't a sign of CLASS. That's a sign of arrogance.

I should know what I'm talking about? You're citing rumours, guy. give me a break.

So , maybe I was out to lunch. What did he say?

D-Cleater:

I don't want to speak for anyone else. But, maybe I could shed a little light on my viewpoint.

I root for the New England Patriots. The only players I care about are players that are currently members of the New England Patriots.

I don't give a rat's behind about members of the Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, or Seattle Seahawks. I fervently hope that all of those players suck.

D-cleater said:
Well, if thats true, then I retract my statement. But, we really don't know what he was offered, do we?

I'm not saying we should keep all of our old players. However, Willie Mac had a contract and the Pats essentially fired him. I can't blame him for signing for more money somewhere else any more than I blame the Pats FO for trading Branch when he wouldn't honor his contract.

Edit - this post was supposed to be made before the last one - weird.
If I knew what he was reportedly offered I've forgotten it, not that I have the greatest memory, but I'm working from a memory that Willie confirmed negotiations with the Pats and a contract offer that wasn't competitive with Cleveland's. Somedays I get lucky with memory.

On behalf of Pats1, thanks.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Willie made a very bad career move.

Just how much extra money does a several times over multi-millionaire need?
Were he to have renegotiated with the Pats, he could have played situational pass rush on fresh legs and might just might have had a better shot to make the HOF, especially were he to win another ring or two. In Cleveland, his career legacy will only get obscured.

I was unhappy when the Pats didn't re-sign Willie, but I'm wondering now if puting a young guy on the 53 instead isn't better for the Pats over the next years.

Nonsense! Clearly, it was neither Willie's or BB's choice in the matter for Larry Izzo is in possession of a compromising set of photographs. And given that the coach's divorce proceedings are mired in pernicious acrimony, he remains handcuffed to the bedpost in a Robin Hood kit on the matter. As such, I really cannot and will not mock, criticize or ridicule Willie McG for he truly is the victim here. He's been robbed of the chance of two to three more rings and a certain seat within the demi-gods of Canton. He's even been robbed of his old jersey. All because frustration overtook him for 20 seconds at Mile High and he vented by tossing Izzo around. If anyone's to blame in this affair, it's that bald reality TV PI guy!

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
Nonsense! Clearly, it was neither Willie's or BB's choice in the matter for Larry Izzo is in possession of a compromising set of photographs. And given that the coach's divorce proceedings are mired in pernicious acrimony, he remains handcuffed to the bedpost in a Robin Hood kit on the matter. As such, I really cannot and will not mock, criticize or ridicule Willie McG for he truly is the victim here. He's been robbed of the chance of two to three more rings and a certain seat within the demi-gods of Canton. He's even been robbed of his old jersey. All because frustration overtook him for 20 seconds at Mile High and he vented by tossing Izzo around. If anyone's to blame in this affair, it's that bald reality TV PI guy!

Pretty funny, but I miss Willie and wish he was still on the team. He was always so fired up on the sidelines during playoff games (courtesy of 3GTG DVD's). Too bad things couldn't have worked out between him and the team. It seems that at this moment, he regrets it more, but who knows.

rookBoston said:
That's got nothing to do with Willie being on the roster, or not. Whipping out the 4-3 was a F^ck You for Mangini.
We'll see this week if they can stop the run in the 3-4 effectively or if they will be forced to use more 4-3 to stop the run.

PatsDeb said:
Pretty funny, but I miss Willie and wish he was still on the team. He was always so fired up on the sidelines during playoff games (courtesy of 3GTG DVD's). Too bad things couldn't have worked out between him and the team. It seems that at this moment, he regrets it more, but who knows.

Agreed, and I've always considered Seau overrated. But it is what it is.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
Agreed, and I've always considered Seau overrated. But it is what it is.

Agreed again :)

D-cleater said:

Folks, he was CUT by this organization. Patriots did not even make him an offer
I was wondering how long before one of the media magpies came out to chirp the Merrill Hoge party line. "The Pats are in trouble becasue they lost MacGinest." Ah, yes.

Part of the time Willie was here he was great, admittedly. But he was under contract for about EIGHT MILLION dollars in 2006 and didn't renegotiate, so yeah, he was cut. To due otherwise would be totally stupid for the Pats, don't you think? Look at him on the Browns bench. Is that worth $8 mil?

As far as being the "class of the organization" yes, he was drafted high, but didn't play to his potential for years. Have you forgotten all those dead years with back injuries and like that? Have you forgotten that the Patriots thought so highly of him (NOT) that he was one of FIVE players they left unprotected in the Texans expansion draft. And that the Texans DIDN'T FREAKIN' WANT HIM? They took one of our defensive players,yes. They liked Matt Stevens better than Willie MacGinest. Part of this was not because Willie was subpar, but that he wasseverely overpaid. It is about value, try and remember that.

Willie was good, but he wasn't LT. Don't make him out to be some kind of god because he left. Had he wanted to stay, he could have taken a pay cut. Not taking one was akin to leaving, as no way was he worth 8 MIL.

Anyway, if you read the thread, you will see that no one is bashing him or even talking about his time with the Patriots. What people are saying was that he couldn't make the starting line up of the defensively challenged Browns, so wouldn't that indicate to some with any kind of brain, even a lemur brain, that he isn't was he was in 2003? Maybe magpie brains are smaller. Or go unused.

Also, he has long been called the sheriff of the locker room, but with what is going on in Cleveland, is that really true? He certainly isn't keeping order there. It is possible that his locker room presence here was highly exaggerated. Either that, or he has lost any presence he might have had.

Either way, it validates that losing him was NOT as big a loss as some pretend.

brady2brown said:

yes, he was drafted high, but didn't play to his potential for years. Have you forgotten all those dead years with back injuries and like that? Have you forgotten that the Patriots thought so highly of him (NOT) that he was one of FIVE players they left unprotected in the Texans expansion draft. And that the Texans DIDN'T FREAKIN' WANT HIM? They took one of our defensive players,yes. They liked Matt Stevens better than Willie MacGinest. Part of this was not because Willie was subpar, but that he wasseverely overpaid. It is about value, try and remember that..

What a lot of people have forgotten is that because we ran 4-3 D for years, Willie was asked to be a DE. Game after game, year after year, Willie was asked to block 325 lb. offensive lineman. He said for years afterwards that it took a toll on him but he did it "for the team". He hurt himself doing his job. When BB put in the 3-4, Willie said that he felt better than he had in years. And his playing supports that.

I miss Willie. The guy was a warrior out there. Romeo Crennel probably convinced Willie that he would get substantial playing time in Cleveland and that it looked like if he stayed in NE he would become a situation LB.

ESPN reported that Willie signed a 3 year, $12M deal with the Browns.

In 1995, his second year in the league, Willie played in all 16 games, registered 69 solo tackles, 17 assists and 11 sacks. He had two seasons in which his play declined due to injuries.

Lastly, on the suggestion that Willie was benched due to poor play:

McGinest's absence was a bit of a surprise. The veteran linebacker practiced until Friday, when he sustained the calf injury that had him listed as probable (75 percent chance of playing).

Coach Romeo Crennel said McGinest ``nicked it up again'' in pregame warmups.

``I was trying to save him because he didn't feel like he'd be able to go at a good level,'' Crennel said. ``So I didn't play him.''

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/15546853.htm

FloridaPatsFan said:
What a lot of people have forgotten is that because we ran 4-3 D for years, Willie was asked to be a DE. Game after game, year after year, Willie was asked to block 325 lb. offensive lineman. He said for years afterwards that it took a toll on him but he did it "for the team". He hurt himself doing his job. When BB put in the 3-4, Willie said that he felt better than he had in years. And his playing supports that.

I miss Willie. The guy was a warrior out there. Romeo Crennel probably convinced Willie that he would get substantial playing time in Cleveland and that it looked like if he stayed in NE he would become a situation LB.

I remember Willie as a 4-3 end. Like Ty Law, his health and his game suffered from the lack of discipline of the over-their-heads Pete Carroll and, especially, Bobby Grier. But like Law, his health and his game recovered under BB, especially after the deadwood and malcontents were cleared. Edit: I started to list all the 1997-2000 deadwood, but the list was way too long.

I miss Willie, too; especially after I saw TBC whiff on yet another potential sack on Sunday. (Is he giving tackling lessons to Wilson?) But Willie at $8M? Of course not. Willie at $12M for 3 years? Probably not; it depends on the structure. Does anyone know the specifics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes