PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Missing WMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brady2brown

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Since March I have read about three thousand four hundred and eighty-seven posts about how much we will miss WMG, and that even if he is 34 years old, his presence in the locker room is invaluable.

I always thought invaluable meant having so much value, it simply cannot be computed.

Then I read about Winslow's rant against the Cleveland coaching staff, and I realize that in Willie's case, invaluable meant not valuable. If this is an example of how Willie maintains order in the locker room, we won't miss him a bit!

Willie is a new man who despite his resume isn't playing due to injury - awfully hard to rule the roost in those circumstances. He's gone, I'd be disappointed if the Pats had a win-slow running his mouth, Cleveburgh can manage without our help.

Except Willie was also running his mouth about this team.

Last edited:
brady2brown said:
Since March I have read about three thousand four hundred and eighty-seven posts about how much we will miss WMG, and that even if he is 34 years old, his presence in the locker room is invaluable.

I always thought invaluable meant having so much value, it simply cannot be computed.

Then I read about Winslow's rant against the Cleveland coaching staff, and I realize that in Willie's case, invaluable meant not valuable. If this is an example of how Willie maintains order in the locker room, we won't miss him a bit!
I'm beginning to think his absence is causing the pats to move to a 4-3 defense. They are just not big enough with TBC on the edge, so they need more beef with the 4-3. Maybe it will change when Seau and Brushi get more conistenc in the middle together.

MrBigglesWorth said:
I'm beginning to think his absence is causing the pats to move to a 4-3 defense. They are just not big enough with TBC on the edge, so they need more beef with the 4-3. Maybe it will change when Seau and Brushi get more conistenc in the middle together.

That's got nothing to do with Willie being on the roster, or not. Whipping out the 4-3 was a F^ck You for Mangini.

MrBigglesWorth said:
:confused:

Colvin and Vrabel outside. Seau and Bruschi inside. They're ready to go with 3-4 whenever they want.

rookBoston said:
That's got nothing to do with Willie being on the roster, or not. Whipping out the 4-3 was a F^ck You for Mangini.

Totally agree. With Mangini on the other sideline, the one defense you don't want to run is last year's defense. It was all about game planning...otherwise how do you explain running more 4-3 with Bruschi back than when he was out?

I don't see how you can blame that on Willie. He's new to the team and not healthy, as was stated previously, and Winslow is a complete jackass. I don't think any locker room pressence is going to keep him from spewing non-sense to the media.

What exactly happened with Winslow and how does this relate to McGinest?:confused:

Bella*chick said:
What exactly happened with Winslow and how does this relate to McGinest?:confused:

I really don't think it relates to Willie at all but Winslow said something about some of the coaching staff holding the team back.

From www.profootballtalk.com

Browns TE Kellen Winslow is reminding the football world that: (1) he has a mouth; (2) he's willing to use it; and (3) we might not always understand what he's saying with his foot wedged in it.

On Monday, Winslow ripped into the coaching staff, exhorting them to be more aggressive on offense: "Some of the coaches might just be holding us back a little bit," Winslow said, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I don't mean to try to go behind their backs or whatever [Editor's note: Apparently, he's going behind their backs inadvertently], but let's go, let's air it out, let's run the ball, let's make plays, let's be exciting.

"I think we're being a little too conservative right now and we just need to unleash it," Winslow added. "Why wait? We're 0-2. We've got nothing to lose."

Winslow also is miffed that he's not on the field on third downs. "It's very frustrating," Winslow said. "We're losing and I'm not on the field. And I just don't get it. . . . The Giants run the same system as we do, the Cowboys run the same system as we do and [Jeremy] Shockey and [Jason] Witten are on the field on third down. I just don't understand why I'm not on the field sometimes."

By the way, we got a huge kick out of another one of Winslow's lines, which reminded us of the classic Cleavon Little sound bite from Blazing Saddles. "We were run-first oriented and that's fine," Winslow said. "But we were down, 14-3, in the first quarter, so we've got to whip the plays out and let's go."

Winslow explained that he has raised his concerns with coach Romeo Crennel, and that Winslow believes Crennel will take care of the problem. But given Winslow's decision to go public with his complaints, we're not so sure he'll be getting any satisfaction.

Indeed, the issue already has Crennel on the defensive. "He's not a wide receiver, first of all, so when you go three wides, he's not there," Crennel said. "I think you need to look at those plays that were run when we had that personnel group in the game and see if his presence would have made a difference on the plays that were called or not -- before we jump to conclusions about whether he should be on the field or not."

Of course, a tight end can be used with three receivers if the team goes with only one running back. But such logic might be lost on Crennel at a time when putting Winslow on the field on third down will lend credence to the notion that a player can get his way merely by *****ing to the media about it.

Our guess? Crennel will be having a heart-to-heart with Winslow, and soon. Among other things, Romeo might want to remind K2 that his father, K1, never pulled a stunt like this during his entire career.

Then again, Kellen Winslow Sr. never had to ***** about not being on the field on third down; he was so good on first and second down that leaving him out there all the time was a no-brainer.

So the ultimate message to K2 is this -- make more of the chances you're getting, and you'll then get more chances.

And p.s.: Shut the hell up.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Willie is a new man who despite his resume isn't playing due to injury
His "injury" happened during pregame warmups after it was announced he wasn't starting. McGinest has found that retirement pays very well.

BelichickFan said:
His "injury" happened during pregame warmups after it was announced he wasn't starting. McGinest has found that retirement pays very well.
That explains the cheerful expression while sitting on the bench.

Box_O_Rocks said:
That explains the cheerful expression while sitting on the bench.
I assume you're being sarcastic ? I haven't seen it, I'm getting my info from a Browns' board but they're saying he sat by himself looking very unhappy and that he's pretty much just happy to cash in.

BelichickFan said:
I didn't realize he couldn't crack the starting lineup of that mighty defensive juggernaut the Cleveland Browns. So if he isn't good enough to start any more, and he can't keep order in the locker room, all I can say is "Once again BB outsmarted the world."

How are Givens and Vinatieri doing, btw?

Seahawks are 2-0 without Deion. Wouldn't it be a hoot if they lost the first couple games when Deion started playing?

This is going to be a really fun season!

brady2brown said:
I didn't realize he couldn't crack the starting lineup of that mighty defensive juggernaut the Cleveland Browns. So if he isn't good enough to start any more, and he can't keep order in the locker room, all I can say is "Once again BB outsmarted the world."
This post on a Browns' board (by a guy I respect) pretty much sums it up :

9) Willie McGinnest is the early frontrunner for the Lomas Brown Veteran Leadership Award. I guess it's easier to get shots of him on the sidelines when he's sitting down all by himself and not up on the sidelines cheering his team on or talking to the lb's who are actually playing. So let's chalk it up to selective shots by the director, shots that don't necessarily tell the real story.

Right? Who's with me people??!!!

I see a guy who's thinking he made a bad career move. And I see Ted Washington looking every bit of his 38.

Wow, I had no idea things were unravelling that badly in Cleveland (not that they were ever truly ravelled to begin with, though). I can't help but feel a bit bad for Willie, although I know I shouldn't since he has made his choice and cashed in.

BelichickFan said:
I assume you're being sarcastic ? I haven't seen it, I'm getting my info from a Browns' board but they're saying he sat by himself looking very unhappy and that he's pretty much just happy to cash in.
The one shot I saw matches with your brownies' observations on his happy camper appearance. Oh well.

Willie made a very bad career move.

Just how much extra money does a several times over multi-millionaire need?
Were he to have renegotiated with the Pats, he could have played situational pass rush on fresh legs and might just might have had a better shot to make the HOF, especially were he to win another ring or two. In Cleveland, his career legacy will only get obscured.

I was unhappy when the Pats didn't re-sign Willie, but I'm wondering now if puting a young guy on the 53 instead isn't better for the Pats over the next years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down