PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Missing the point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to carry the speeding analogy a little further, 'cause I think it fits...

What the Pats did was get caught doing 85 down a crowded highway when everyone else was doing 75.

Yes, the were breaking the rules, but so was everybody else. It's just that the Pats were breaking it more egregiously than the others. And a cop (with some help from another motorist! rat bastard!) happened to pull them over.

Of course the judge isn't going to care. The Pats are going to get punished. They are going to get their ticket. I'm fine with it. I'm not sure if it's totally fair, but they got busted and are going to need to pay the price.

I would say to the cop: "But everyone else was speeding too!"
And the cop would say: "But you're the one I pulled over."

Not fair, but fair enough.

And if that is the case, you can say that he was being discriminatory is his application of the law by singling you out. And, in most cases, it would be reduced or thrown out alltogether.

I had this happen in N. Carolina. Got pulled over when I still has NH plates on my car. I was doing 65 in a 55 zone and had just gotten passed by a NC state representative who was doing 80 or so. Lucky for me, the plate number was easy to remember. So, I contested it, went to court and it was thrown out because the judge felt that the State Rep shouldn't have been allowed to pass me if I was clearly speeding as well. I DID get a warning, but that was it.

I had this happen in N. Carolina. Got pulled over when I still has NH plates on my car. I was doing 65 in a 55 zone and had just gotten passed by a NC state representative who was doing 80 or so. Lucky for me, the plate number was easy to remember. So, I contested it, went to court and it was thrown out because the judge felt that the State Rep shouldn't have been allowed to pass me if I was clearly speeding as well. I DID get a warning, but that was it.

Wow! How exactly did you posture this to the judge? I am curious because one of my friends tried a similar explanation but the judge rejected it stating that he doesn't care which other car (official or not) has been speeding more.

mdhprime, point the finger and others is not owning up to what
you did wrong ... rather what our head coach has done wrong.
pointing fingers doesn't cut it with me.

Every one breaks the speed limit but when you get caught speeding do you
think the judge is going to care if you use that as your defense????

I think his point is ...don't give BB a ticket for going 70 mph in a 55 going forwards.....but let Nick Saban off the hook for going 70 mph in a 55 going sideways....or Mike Shanahan off the hook for going 70 mph in a 55 mph zone going backwards!!! Get the analogy?>?? Everyone is using SOME METHOD to steal signals in this league.......Should the Pats get some punishment for filming the FIRST QUARTER of sunday's game? Yep......but not as excessive as they probably will get.......Should BB be dragged through the mud as a "CHEATER".....and have every thing that he has ever done analyzed......and every accomplishment crucified because of this incident? Heck.....if they (Media, ESPN, Fans of other teams) could have their way...they would TAKE AWAY the Pats 3 SB victories!!! As it is many of these piece of sh## commentators are already saying the pats DYNASTY is tarnished........How shameful to make those comments......shame on them!

I think his point is ...don't give BB a ticket for going 70 mph in a 55 going forwards.....but let Nick Saban off the hook for going 70 mph in a 55 going sideways....or Mike Shanahan off the hook for going 70 mph in a 55 mph zone going backwards!!! Get the analogy?>?? Everyone is using SOME METHOD to steal signals in this league.......Should the Pats get some punishment for filming the FIRST QUARTER of sunday's game? Yep......but not as excessive as they probably will get.......Should BB be dragged through the mud as a "CHEATER".....and have every thing that he has ever done analyzed......and every accomplishment crucified because of this incident? Heck.....if they (Media, ESPN, Fans of other teams) could have their way...they would TAKE AWAY the Pats 3 SB victories!!! As it is many of these piece of sh## commentators are already saying the pats DYNASTY is tarnished........How shameful to make those comments......shame on them!

I think you are right on all of this, but don't expect the media to stop sensationalizing...it just won't happen...ever.

As for the league, if more regulation comes from this, if other teams get penalized for the things they do and the commisioner truly wants to change the playing field, then good. I hope it happens. If the Patriots are the only team punished, the all of this is for nothing.

As far as the Patirots and their reputation, I think winning cures all. If they have a great season and perform at their usual high level, a lot of this will go away as the season moves on. Right now we are hearing from a couple of sore losers (Ward, Tomlinson), one inexperienced head coach (Tomlin) and not a lot of other current NFL people. There is a reason for that, but very few in the media are talking about it. I think it is obvious to anyone who can reason, but.....

Here's to beating San Diego and having a great season. This team is stacked with players who now have a reason again to have a chip on their shoulders, not to mention their head coach. I think in the end this whole thing will be a benefit, not a curse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back