PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Misconception w/Talib

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reality, it's not really as simple as a fourth for Talib and a seventh. If he signs elsewhere, the Pats also gain the compensatory pick that the Bucs would have had otherwise. He's probably not a 3rd round comp pick guy, but I think he'd get them a fourth. So it'd really be 2012 4th for Talib, 2012 7th, and 2014 4th or something like that.

All this assuming they actually get comp picks, but given that Welker, Vollmer, and Talib are all candidates for big money deals elsewhere, I think they'll lose more than they'll sign.

Well they're definitely not franchising him, and it's anybody's game after that. While the 0 picks are awfully disappointing, those 23 PDs are fantastic.

Also, it seems that some Steelers fans are okay with Cortez Allen starting opposite Ike Taylor next season. Allen has two years left on his contract, so that'd delay them having to resign a CB for two more years, when they should have some of those older players and their contracts off the team. I don't think Allen is as good as Lewis, but he might be good enough that they take the downgrade in order to save money.

Anything is obviously possible, Sciz. I don't mean to act like it isn't a possibility, but my personal opinion is that I'd have a hard time seeing them allow him to walk, unless maybe they feel that many are overrating his second half of season push this year.

If that's the case, then yeah--we'd have a shot at acquiring him, even though there's always some team or two that overpays. I wouldn't mind it of course, for the right price. Regardless, I like the thinking that we'll need to probably look towards the potential up and comers who aren't necessarily top tier FA's at the position. Or maybe even some of the middle tier, more established CBs who haven't earned the highest of recognition but are worth investing in, kind of like the Leigh Boddens of the world.

I do think that the Steeler cap situation may be slightly overrated too, as they are usually one of those teams who acts conservatively and looks towards building toward the future. Of course that could still factor into letting Lewis walk if they feel that this season was out of the norm, or they are okay with Allen moving forward for the next yr or two.

Agreed. McCourty is brutal at CB.

Brutal is a bit extreme.. He was a Pro Bowler in 2010... And 2010 matter please see the 'Dwayne Bowe Sign the Beast' thread.

Other than the first Ravens game against Smith he was a lockdown CB this year too..

Hes our man, and it probably won't cost as much as people think.

The Bucs desperately wanted to get rid of him because of his attitude problems, teams concerned with that kind of player cross him off of the list immediately.

He didn't prove very much during his time on the field, he looked amazing to us because he was the best Corner we have seen in a patriots uniform since Ty Law, he has injury concerns and i don't believe he will get a huge offer from anywhere really.

He is the perfect fit for NE however, he enjoys the system and the players, he likes how belichick 'treats him like a man'. BB had an eye on him during the year which he was in the draft, and players like that usually get a contract.

Nowhere else makes much sense for him to go there unless they throw huge dollars at him and i just can't see it, i think he comes back here with a decent incentive-laden contract, but nothing groundbreaking.

I imagine his biggest offers would come from within our division. :D

Brutal is a bit extreme.. He was a Pro Bowler in 2010... And 2010 matter please see the 'Dwayne Bowe Sign the Beast' thread.

Other than the first Ravens game against Smith he was a lockdown CB this year too..

McCourty was drafted to play CB.

He played all of 2010 at CB and played extremely well. Then 2011 came around and McCourty looked like he never played CB in his life. He was brutalized and eventually moved to S. This season, 2012, McCourty began again at CB and he never looked comfortable and moved back to S.

Dennard and Talib eventually took the staring CB jobs and the NE pass defense improved. A few weeks ago Dennard and Talib were out with injuries and the Arrington/ McCourty duo were pressed into service.

It wasnt pretty.

You're wildly entertaining Triumph.

I just tell the truth.

If you dont want the NE defense to improve put McCourty back a CB and see what happens.

McCourty was drafted to play CB.

He played all of 2010 at CB and played extremely well. Then 2011 came around and McCourty looked like he never played CB in his life. He was brutalized and eventually moved to S. This season, 2012, McCourty began again at CB and he never looked comfortable and moved back to S.

Dennard and Talib eventually took the staring CB jobs and the NE pass defense improved. A few weeks ago Dennard and Talib were out with injuries and the Arrington/ McCourty duo were pressed into service.

It wasnt pretty.
It was a shutout

Some posters have irrational grudges against a certain player/players. Especially in this case, best to just let it go and not try and reason with it.

If Talib is gonna ask for too much money like Welker then both of them should take a walk.

That secondary looked bad before and after Talib got there. I know the stats say they got better, but my eyes says otherwise. I'll give most of the credit to the pass rush than I would the secondary. The front seven were absolute beasts this year, until that game last Sunday, where they decided to lay down and let Rice run the time out.

The secondary is awful. Most of the balls thrown into it were overthrown passes from terrible QBs(due to pressure from the front) or just plain throwaways. Anything close to accurately thrown to a receiver or anything thrown over 20 yards was caught. That's why I continued to to trash the secondary, unless I see some good from it, which I haven't. Flacco threw a TD pass to Bolden who was covered in trash that we call CBs and safeties and shook em off like they were nothing... which is what they are... nothing.

McCourty making the probowl? I've been scratching my head over that one for a while, because I just don't see how he did. Dennard is the only decent thing in the secondary and he's not all that good. I think it's about time that Belichick hires a real defensive coordinator, so Brady and the O doesn't have to so feel pressured all the time to win these playoff games, when lesser QBs starting scoring seven points a minute on the D.

McCourty is good at FS - let's keep him there.

The main reason I want Talib is because we gave up a 4th rounder. Had we won a SB with him I'd be ok with that but now I'd like to get more out of him to justify the pick being gone.

Making decisions because of sunk costs is foolhardy. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back