Welcome to PatsFans.com

Minn. court declares Franken leading vote-getter

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Minn. court declares Franken leading vote-getter

ST. PAUL, Minn. – A Minnesota court confirmed Monday that Democrat Al Franken won the most votes in his 2008 Senate race against Republican Norm Coleman, who had already announced plans to appeal the decision.

Coleman has 10 days to appeal to the state Supreme Court. Once the petition is filed, it could further delay the seating of Minnesota's second senator for weeks.

After a statewide recount and seven-week trial, Franken stands 312 votes ahead. He gained more votes from the election challenge than Coleman, the candidate who brought the legal action.

The state law under which Coleman sued required three judges to determine who got the most votes and is therefore entitled to an election certificate, which is now on hold pending an appeal.

"The overwhelming weight of the evidence indicates that the November 4, 2008, election was conducted fairly, impartially and accurately," the judges wrote. "There is no evidence of a systematic problem of disenfranchisement in the state's election system, including in its absentee-balloting procedures."

In its order, the judicial panel dismissed two attempts by Coleman to subtract votes from Franken over allegations of mishandled ballots in Minneapolis.

The judges also rejected Coleman's argument that a state board improperly made up for a packet of ballots lost between the election. His lawyers conceded that the ballots' disappearance rendered them invalid and that Coleman was entitled to review all ballots as part of the recount.

Coleman's lawyers claimed dozens of ballots were double-counted when their originals couldn't be fed into optical scanning machines on Election Day. They said it was possible that originals and duplicates were included in the recount.

The ruling diminishes Coleman's chances of retaining a seat that he won in dramatic fashion in 2002, when he narrowly defeated former Vice President Walter Mondale. Democratic incumbent Paul Wellstone died in a plane crash with two weeks to go in the campaign.

Franken, a former "Saturday Night Live" comic, entered the Senate race more than two years ago. A third-party candidate's strong showing left Coleman and Franken virtually deadlocked on Election Night, triggering an automatic recount of 2.9 million ballots. Coleman led by about 700 votes before routine double-checking of figures trimmed his edge to 215 votes heading into the hand recount. By the recount's end in January, Franken had pulled ahead by 225 votes.

Coleman's trial began in January and his appeal could push the race into May or beyond.

Coleman's lawyers have said their appeal will mostly center on violations of the constitutional guarantee of equal protection, arguing that counties had differing standards in treating absentee ballots.

Franken's attorneys argued that no election is absolutely precise and that all counties operated under the same standard.

In addition to the appeal, Coleman can also initiate a new action on a federal level. Either side can appeal an eventual state Supreme Court decision to the U.S. Supreme Court or throw the disputed election before the U.S. Senate, which can judge the qualifications of its members.
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Funny I seem to remember someone saying something about not putting the people of Minnesota through an expensive, protracted court battle that would leave the state not fully represented in the Senate.

Gee I wonder who that was?

Republicans are just so full of schit.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

And anyone who thinks either party wouldn't fight for their guy in a close election is the most full of sh!t of all.
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ain't nothing wrong with fighting for 'your' guy. The problem lies in claiming that doing so at the expense of the tax payers is wrong and then doing it anyway.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

My point is that either party would publicly "discourage" it and either party would do it. It's not Republicans. And it's not Democrats.
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This I agree on, but you shouldn't put words in others' mouths.

What happened is that on election night the difference was a small fraction of 1%. One candidate said this should be looked into, the other said that doing so would be sore loserism and a waste of taxpayers' money. One candidate did what he said he was gonna do, the other is full of schit.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I don't know what Franken said, I was talking in general, as were you. Most Democrats would fight to the end just like most Republicans.
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

As much as i hate see a Comedy writer as a senator the guy won fair and square. Coleman should just pack it in. Its becoming ridiculus, but i understand whats at stake here a Franken would give the Dems. a 60 seat majority.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Leading Vote Getter?? This am the only one using this phrase is Drudge, just about everyone else including Fox, Worldnet and the rest are saying Franken is the winner.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Anyone who thinks that there was a clear winner in this election, hasn't been paying attention. All a person needs to do is look at the ballots that were dotted, X'd, or singed Lizard People, etc. to see that people don't know how to vote, and the people who tried to determine who those people who don't know how to vote, voted for, are even mo dumb than the voters themselves. That being said, I'm actually looking forward to Franken getting the seat, cuz I think he'll be honest about what he see's on a daily basis. He's not a politician like Coleman, or whatever other hack Pepsi usually opposes Coke with. It will be interesting to see if Franken changes once he's named to the senate.

I'm shocked, just shocked I tell ya, that a politician would say one thing, then do another. I can't believe it. That has to be a first for sure.