PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mini Camp report from PFW

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrazyDave said:
Well, I'm glad kicking is so simple and all.
So, that means losing AV is no big deal at all.
Right?
So i guess the off-season did'nt hurt us as much as some would think.
Right?

I never said it was easy. I don't think any position on the team is easy but if that's the position you play and have been for years then you should be pretty damn good at it if drafted by a pro team.

Losing AV didn't make me happy but I'd rather have the type of team that has the potential to score touchdowns rather than having one that relies on the kicker to win the game every other time out. I think BB does too and is trying to move the team in that direction.

IMO this particular rookie has AV 'type' potential. Regardless, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Pats are a bit of a different animal this year and won't have to rely on the kicker, any kicker, as much as in years past. If they do need a kick to decide a game I'm confident that the job will get done more often than not no matter who's kicking...Missin Sisson the lone exception!

Having Automatica in camp is not about competition...it's called insurance. If BB really had an open slot at PK, there would be 4-5 kickers in camp. Gramatica is strictly insurance in case the ghost goes down.

borg said:
Having Automatica in camp is not about competition...it's called insurance. If BB really had an open slot at PK, there would be 4-5 kickers in camp. Gramatica is strictly insurance in case the ghost goes down.

Why bother bringing in a group to confuse the issue when seemingly both the kickers coming to camp this year could fill the bill. They will get more pre-season work in because they'll only have to split time between the two of them not with two or three other kickers that more than likely wouldn't have a shot to make the team anyway.

Either one is insurance if the other fails. A solid vet returning from injury with something to prove and a rookie full of promise. We shall see.

borg said:
I realize that you have over a thousand posts so you must be very smart and full of useful football information. NOW I understand that a kicker has responsibilities beyond booting it through the uprights. It must be very confusing during "huddle procedure". I bet BB has hired a broadway choreographer in order to get the kicker and holder in the proper position while the 9 blockers are actually in the huddle. And I bet BB is hammering home the point that it is the kicker's responsibilty to worry about the play clock...to heck with the snapper and holder. And it is the kicker that must worry about the blockers, not the lineman. Now I know ...thanks. The "Dynamics" are mind boggling. How does a kicker have time to worry about striking the football when he has to organize the huddle, manage the clock, set up blocking schemes. You would think that BB would just hire a special teams coach instead of laying it all on the kicker. Good thing the Pats brought in a seasoned vet in order to communicate( with a South American accent) with the rookie kicker. I'm sure that MG's non guaranteed minimum contract won't hamper the tutoring process. The ghost must be absorbing all the nuances that MG has to offer....Proper celebrations after a made FG, 90 degree temperatures and humidity, kicking in Florida vs kicking in New England. And the big brother-little brother conversations they must be having..."When the coach tells you to direct the kickoff to the left corner, kick the ball to the left corner." Riveting stuff only a seasoned kicker can offer.

You aren't worth the time or effort, I'm just going to accept it and move on.

borg said:

Uh, read BB's comments regarding camp in Reign, Pepper's book and elsewhere. Insurance is one of many benefits from effective competition.

Think about it.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Uh, read BB's comments regarding camp in Reign, Pepper's book and elsewhere. Insurance is one of many benefits from effective competition.

Think about it.
You said a naughty word! :D

Brownfan80 said:
You aren't worth the time or effort, I'm just going to accept it and move on.

I just heard BB made both kickers run laps because of improper huddle procedure.. Man I wish BB selected kickers with better dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back