PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mincey will play OLB...NOT ILB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Press: Mincey...tearing down college players to build them back up how you want them?

BB: Mincey will need to learn some different things at OLB, sure...

Press: But is he more important because he's learning a new position...

BB: It's important for everybody, a transition from everyone...some players can, some can't...

ever since the draft , this site has been bombarded by the "fantasy" experts and their need to "figure it all out"....why?...to prove that THEY are just as astute as Bill Belichick?...to look for pats on the back?....every time I see one of these longwinded "analyses", invariably they have Mincey penciled in at ILB depth.

Since the day of the draft I have been drilling home the point that Mincey, with his measureables, fits our elephant LB position....day after day it's like this is some kind of impossibility to the hordes of former Yahoo and ESPN "fantasy experts". Well...there it is...right from BB's mouth to your dense as lead heads and ears...OLB

So please all you Mel Kiper the III's out there that find it impossible to keep your mouths shut...gather some CORRECT information before you go off on another "I'm a genius!!!Look at me!!!" 5000 word "analysis"

Maybe it's just me, but I could have sworn that most of us thought that Mincey would be an OLB. Many have been hoping he could be a future replacement of McGinest.

Here's the full quote:

Press: Does a guy like [Jeremy] Mincey who you are going to be standing up when he was playing down in college, do you have to start the process of tearing him down and building him into a different player than maybe he had been in college at this point?

BB: "He has a lot of different skills to learn and work on, a lot of different coverage concepts that he wasn't involved in. Again, that's a common situation for most outside linebackers for 3-4 teams, but a little different say from what we just talked about with Dave who played tight end. I think what he did was more similar to what an NFL tight end would do than what a defensive end in college to a 3-4 outside linebacker. There is probably more adjustment there."

Press: Is it even more important for him because he has to digest a new position in addition to learning the new system?

BB: "I think it's important for everybody and certainly it's a transition for those players, but again, many players that have come before him have done it. I think we know what to expect and know how to go about trying to make that transition. Some players are able to make it and some aren't. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't think we're doing anything here that we haven't done before or hasn't been done before. It's just...that's what it is. But that's the way it usually is at that spot."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Last edited:
smg93 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I could have sworn that most of us thought that Mincey would be an OLB. Many have been hoping he could be a future replacement of McGinest.

Me too......

As far as a replacement.... That would be a neat trick. Mcginest 6th overall, Mincey 6th round.

Last edited:
Should have said replacement at McGinest's position rather than a replacement for Willie Mac. That will be too much for anyone...

FYI, BB said Mincey was going to be an OLB in his press conference immediately following the draft, so this has been proved long before today. Also I can't think of anyone recently who was still thinking he would be an ILB.

A few days ago I logged on here and some guy named dryheat and some other fantasy nutbags had the whole Patriot roster figured out...and at ILB they had Mincey penciled in...in fact, one of them, I think it's this dryheat guy or mgteich, posted that Mincey "will probably be an IR so other more important ST players can have a roster spot".

How many of these "uh ...Vrabel will play one outside LB postion with Colvin at the other" declarations have I read on this site? A hundred? Two hundred? Watch for this kid Mincey...I think he's going to blow some "expert!!!!" minds at OLB

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Me too......

As far as a replacement.... That would be a neat trick. Mcginest 6th overall, Mincey 6th round.

Replacements certainly CAN be a neat trick. Bledsoe 1st round, pick #1, Brady 6th round, pick #199.

:D :cool:

edzo44 said:
Replacements certainly CAN be a neat trick. Bledsoe 1st round, pick #1, Brady 6th round, pick #199.

:D :cool:

One can only hope.:D

Seriously, we won't likely replace that kind of talent, but I would like to see a superior pass rushing athlete in the mix.

I loved our first 2 picks, but it hurt to see Lawson available and overlooked.

Last edited:
Joker said:
A few days ago I logged on here and some guy named dryheat and some other fantasy nutbags had the whole Patriot roster figured out...and at ILB they had Mincey penciled in...in fact, one of them, I think it's this dryheat guy or mgteich, posted that Mincey "will probably be an IR so other more important ST players can have a roster spot".

How many of these "uh ...Vrabel will play one outside LB postion with Colvin at the other" declarations have I read on this site? A hundred? Two hundred? Watch for this kid Mincey...I think he's going to blow some "expert!!!!" minds at OLB

Let's face it, nobody knows what BB's going to do, especially with marginal players.

Remember Antwan Harris at safety? Who knew Eugene would take the position over?

You might consider switching to decaf.:)

I don't drink coffee or take stimulants...maybe that's why I don't make thousands of long posts about stuff I have no clue about...what I do know is what BB stated at his most recent press conference...and, as was printed earlier in this thread , what he said from draft day forward

Joker said:
I don't drink coffee or take stimulants...maybe that's why I don't make thousands of long posts about stuff I have no clue about...what I do know is what BB stated at his most recent press conference...and, as was printed earlier in this thread , what he said from draft day forward

Nevertheless, neither you or I know how he's going to be used eventually or even if he'll make the team so why get so upset about it?

Joker said:

Whoa, there, you're calling out two of more reasoned posters on this board.

I (believing the opinion of Chad Brown and others) see Ryan Claridge a factor at ILB, and agree that Jerome Mincey has the 'elephant' measurables, but I'd be shocked if he could step into Willie Mac's large shoes this year.

I think he's destined for PS or IR, the latter being more likely as it will give him time to learn the playbook from the LB perspective.

I didn't read a lot of people mentioning Mincey at ILB. He is, as BB stated in his post-draft p.c., an OLB. In fact, I've never heard Belichick speak so definitively about where a rookie will play.

I will speak only for myself.

1) I have never played fantasy anything.
2) In most of my rosters, I have listed Mincey as a developmental player. More recently, I have him slated in as the #7 linebacker, excluding STer's.
3) I don't think I've ever listed him as an ILB. I don't expect him to get much playing time this year without two injuries.
4) I never have suggested hiding anyone on IR, ever.
5) Occasionally, I suggest that a player should be on the Practice Squad, but in this case, he seems likely to sit at the end of the bench, beating our Alexander and Gardner for that spot.

Joker said:

RayClay said:
Me too......

Mcginest 6th overall, Mincey 6th round.

I don't know, but wasn't it Bledsoe, 1st overall, and Brady 6th round.

Not comparing one to the other, just pointing out the symmetry.

Willie was definitely a leader, watching the '04 AFCC game at Heinz yesterday, where Willie's quote was about a heavy weight championship fight, and to be the champ you have to beat the champ, and they forgot who's the champ.

I believe his play on the field can be replaced, but his leadership on the field and in the locker room will be another story.....

Pat the Pats Fan said:
I don't know, but wasn't it Bledsoe, 1st overall, and Brady 6th round.

Not comparing one to the other, just pointing out the symmetry.

Willie was definitely a leader, watching the '04 AFCC game at Heinz yesterday, where Willie's quote was about a heavy weight championship fight, and to be the champ you have to beat the champ, and they forgot who's the champ.

I believe his play on the field can be replaced, but his leadership on the field and in the locker room will be another story.....

Guess I should have read all the posts before I commented.....

mgteich said:

2) In most of my rosters, I have listed Mincey as a developmental player. More recently, I have him slated in as the #7 linebacker, excluding STer's.
3) I don't think I've ever listed him as an ILB. I don't expect him to get much playing time this year without two injuries.
5) Occasionally, I suggest that a player should be on the Practice Squad, but in this case, he seems likely to sit at the end of the bench, beating our Alexander and Gardner for that spot.

I think this analysis is realistic - it really is up to Mincey as to how far he can progress up the depth chart. Can he learn the defense and can he execute the plays and his assignments? Unless he is a real surprise, his first goal is to simply make it onto the roster - probably via solid special team play.

I look for Vrabel & Colvin on the outside with Bruschi and the new look Beisel inside. After that you have Alexandar, TBC, Gardner and Claridge (I have very high hopes for Claridge). That about fills up LB slots. Don't be surprised to see Freddie Roach make this squad as well.

mgteich said:

mgteich, you don't need to defend yourself against this caustic newbie joker who calls himself, ironically, "joker". Everyone who has been here more than a few months knows you and dryheat are both well-respected posters on this board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back