Welcome to PatsFans.com

Milton Freidman passes away

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Nov 17, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

A great Man and defender of individual rights. His ideas and influence have helped in creating much of the economic growth we have enjoyed over the past 25 years.

A link to a tribute from the CATO Institute.

http://www.cato.org/

RIP Mr Freidman.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

He did favor legalization of marijuana, and for that reason I say, good riddance, but RIP, Milton.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You were one of those paranoid smokers who always thought you were having a heart attack every time you'd hit the bong, right? So now you don't think anyone else should use it either.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Ah, I was ambiguous. What I meant was good riddance to the Milton Friedman whose model increased poverty, hurt poor kids, made the middle class become two worker households, backed Pinochet, etc., but he deserves to rest in peace because at least he favored legalization of marijuana. And as far as being a paranoid smoker who thought I was having a heart attack, that's a middle aged fear, not one I thought about during the heady days of my youth.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ahh, gotcha, sorry for misunderstanding. I couldn't figure out why someone would hate marijuana so much that they'd say good riddence to a legalizer who died, unless they had some personal demons with the drug.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

I would maintain that the increase in goverment spending relative to GDP is the cause of many of the challenges we face. If we had followed his ideas more closely we would be in better shape. Goverment is overhead, necessary overhead but should be minimized when possible.