PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Milquetoast defensive schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavtroop

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I wasn't sure wether to create a new thread or add this to an existing one. So (obviously!) mods feel free to consolidate if you think this belongs in an existing thread. I think it merits it's own discussion though.

Now, I'm no expert on football. I like to think I know more than the average fan about coverages, schemes etc. But I'm far from an expert truth be told.

But to my laypersons eyes, what is going on with the defense? Remember the days when we'd *salivate* about going up against a rookie QB? We'd pressure him early - blitz 5,6 or even 7 - get in his face and rattle him a bit.

Now, and for the last few years, our defense seems to be completely milquetoast. 3 or 4 man front, and either a cover 2 or a 2 man under defense behind. Very little scheming, very little blitzing. Every once in a while, they'll send 5. However, very little (if any) stunting/scheming etc, rarely see a DL drop into a zone blitz coverage etc.

Is this stuff happening, and Im just not seeing it? If its not happening, why not? any theories? Do we not have the personnel to be more aggressive? Is it coaching?

I wasn't sure wether to create a new thread or add this to an existing one. So (obviously!) mods feel free to consolidate if you think this belongs in an existing thread. I think it merits it's own discussion though.

Now, I'm no expert on football. I like to think I know more than the average fan about coverages, schemes etc. But I'm far from an expert truth be told.

But to my laypersons eyes, what is going on with the defense? Remember the days when we'd *salivate* about going up against a rookie QB? We'd pressure him early - blitz 5,6 or even 7 - get in his face and rattle him a bit.

Now, and for the last few years, our defense seems to be completely milquetoast. 3 or 4 man front, and either a cover 2 or a 2 man under defense behind. Very little scheming, very little blitzing. Every once in a while, they'll send 5. However, very little (if any) stunting/scheming etc, rarely see a DL drop into a zone blitz coverage etc.

Is this stuff happening, and Im just not seeing it? If its not happening, why not? any theories? Do we not have the personnel to be more aggressive? Is it coaching?

Totally agree with you. I was going to add a thread like this. Our Defensive schems are plain vanilla. Opposing QBs are s

Totally agree with you. I was going to add a thread like this. Our Defensive schems are plain vanilla. Opposing QBs are s

Opposing QBs are do comfortable in the pocket. Even the Jets D shows different designs to keep the O guessing. We cannot force a 3 and out when it counts. All teams will now torch our CBs big time. No pass rush, poor coverage downfield = losing games.

And yes - our offense cannot hit the final bail nail in the coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes