PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mills article

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070626_2_B1_YWorl88632
(via draftdaddy.com)

I think his versatility gives him a better-than-average shot at making the team. But I'll let BB figure it out. :)

He is versatile like Klecko. He has no definable NFL position.

I think versatility is great, but not in place of utility, that is being able to play one position first as starter or replacement.

He's essentially a tight end, more size challenged than Klecko at NT.

He's the size of a medium-big back, say Corey Dillon-He's obviously not that.

His best shot is pass catching fullback-unproven runner, blocker.

Not trying to put him down and I've hardly seen him, but this is his challenge.

The pats don't have time to try to find a spot for someone, you need to force yourself into the lineup.

I think versatility is great, but not in place of utility, that is being able to play one position first as starter or replacement.

The pats don't have time to try to find a spot for someone, you need to force yourself into the lineup.

The guy can catch the ball like nobody's business. They'll find a spot for him.

They better have plans for this guy or that was a horrendous waste of a 4th round pick.

ya pretty impressive at passing camp according to reports

Mills is also an excellent special teams player. If he stays healthy, he may be one of the big surprises during training camp. No one should be discounting this guy.

Last edited:

Nobody's business--except Wes Welker's and Dave Thomas'. :D

BTW: anyone else surprised to see it actually say what was/might have been wrong with Mills (a hip injury)?

Last edited:
Mills (6'1" 235-240) is somewhat between Larry Centers (6' 225) and Chris Cooley (6'3" 250) in size. He is big enough to play FB and was rated the top FB prospect in his class. He is big enough to block most of these lightweight cover 2 LBs. He has above average TE and FB speed (4.64) certainly fast enough to to get by most LBs and big enough to overpower most safeties. His good 3 cone (6.82) indicates good athleticism and route running ability as well. Add in his potential as a coverage ST player and I think that he has a good shot.

It's an interesting argument, would you want to have an extra LB like Woods or an extra FB/ TE like Mills on your gameday roster? You could argue that they don't need him at TE as they would have 3 already on the gameday roster but Evans is the only FB so if he got hurt, there goes your 2 back sets or you are back to using people like Seymour as your backup FB. It might be interesting to try him in combination with Evans as a Super-heavyweight goal line 2 back set. Another interesting red zone combo is Morris and Mills. Both are excellent receivers; which one do you cover?

2007 Combine results for TEs

Average 6-4 1/2 255 4.83 40yds 7.17 3cone

2007 Combine results for FBs

Average 5-11 3/4 241 4.75 40 yds 7.15 3cone

Last edited:
Patrick Pass was hardly a devastating blocker, that's why Seymour, Klecko, etc., got some time in the backfield. Pass wasn't an outstanding pass catcher or runner either but he stayed on the team for years playing in the kicking game. Mills has much more raw talent than Pass and threatens a much bigger play due to his skills catching the ball then running with it - he gave LB's fits in coverage in college and even Kyle Brady noted how well Mills can move at the passing camp.

So, it would seem the only way Mills doesn't make the team is that he stinks on special teams - and that seems unlikely since Mills apparently is a high effort/do-anything-asked type of player. Mills would fill Pass's spot more than he'd be counted as a tight end.

Yes he does. H-Back. and that IS a definable position.

Klekco was 2 inches shorter and about 50 lbs lighter than Wilfork. Mills is 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter Thomas and 2 inches shorter and 15 lbs lighter than Watson. (based on their COMBINE numbers). How is he more size challenged than Klecko?

The Pats know where they want Mills. And they are developing him for that spot. I think that you put too much into Mills size (being 2 inches shorter than either Watson or Thomas). While Mills is an unproven runner, that is something they can develop. The blocking is also something they can develop. The pass-catching is something we already know he is very good at from his college days.

Mills is unproven. Just like every other rookie who walks through that door. Mills showed a LOT of skill last year in TC before his injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mills make an impact on STs and as the H-Back in the Chris Cooley mode....BTW, how many runs did Chris Cooley make last year?

Besides some blocking action at FB against the Cardinals and possibly Redskins, here's what we have to go on for Mills so far:

4th quarter of the NE/ATL game:

He lined up as a blocking FB a few times on runs with Thomas/Rasby at TE. But all of his catches were out of the SLOT as a WR. Never did he line up as a lone RB. He isn't going to replace Faulk.

1-10-NE44 (12:30) M.Cassel pass short right to G.Mills to ATL 41 for 15 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot (deep crossing pattern)

2-1-ATL32 (11:14) M.Cassel pass deep right to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 1 for 31 yards (C.Newton).

2-13-NE5 (7:38) M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to G.Mills (O.Lowe).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills right slot. (deep seam pattern)

2-10-NE45 (5:48) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 46 for 9 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills left slot. (quick out)

4-1-ATL46 (4:29) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 29 for 17 yards (L.Torrence).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out)

2-11-ATL30 (3:41) M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to G.Mills.

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out, dropped)

1-10-ATL15 (3:28) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills to ATL 12 for 3 yards (N.Turnbull).

Besides some blocking action at FB against the Cardinals and possibly Redskins, here's what we have to go on for Mills so far:

He lined up as a blocking FB a few times on runs with Thomas/Rasby at TE. But all of his catches were out of the SLOT as a WR. Never did he line up as a lone RB. He isn't going to replace Faulk.

Just because they didn't use him there last year, doesn't mean they weren't developing him for that. You do have to learn to walk before you can run, Pats1.

Just because they didn't use him there last year, doesn't mean they weren't developing him for that. You do have to learn to walk before you can run, Pats1.

Do you mean TB or FB?

That's a 25 yd average per catch...yikes!

1-10-NE44 (12:30) M.Cassel pass short right to G.Mills to ATL 41 for 15 yards (N.Turnbull).

2-1-ATL32 (11:14) M.Cassel pass deep right to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 1 for 31 yards (C.Newton).

2-13-NE5 (7:38) M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to G.Mills (O.Lowe).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills right slot. (deep seam pattern)

2-10-NE45 (5:48) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 46 for 9 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills left slot. (quick out)

4-1-ATL46 (4:29) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 29 for 17 yards (L.Torrence).

2-11-ATL30 (3:41) M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to G.Mills.

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out, dropped)

1-10-ATL15 (3:28) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills to ATL 12 for 3 yards (N.Turnbull).

Do you mean TB or FB?

I mean H-Back. The progression is to get him into the passing plays and then work on improving his blocking so that he can line-up at FB next to Brady and block for him on 3rd downs.

Mills has the agility and strength to block smaller blitzers like CBs and safeties but if he has to take on say a Merriman for instance, it's going to be a long day for Tommy.

I mean H-Back. The progression is to get him into the passing plays and then work on improving his blocking so that he can line-up at FB next to Brady and block for him on 3rd downs.

Mills has the agility and strength to block smaller blitzers like CBs and safeties but if he has to take on say a Merriman for instance, it's going to be a long day for Tommy.

So who does Kevin Faulk block?

See, this is where I don't necessarily agree. We don't know what Mills has been working on, but I can almost guarantee is been his blocking. If Mills has to take on Shawn Merriman ALONE, then the O-line has already failed and, you're right, it WILL be a long day. Mills in the backfield will be to pick up the blitzer who makes it through. That is typically your 260 lb LBs or your 190-220 lb DBs. I believe that Mills can handle those pretty easily with the proper technique.

The only issue with having Mills in the backfield is that it limits you to passing plays until the Pats know whether he has the instincts to run the ball. He definitely has the quickness and agility to run the ball like a RB, when you look at his 20 yard shuttle (4.06) and 3 cone numbers (6.82).

One more thing to consider. The Atlanta game that was referenced mentioned that he was split out rather than in the backfield. If he can function effectively as a pass catcher in the WO/slot position, does he make it over a guy like Gaffney or Caldwell who can only do one thing (catch passes-no ST value) and is not a starter at his postion? Mills can play FB, TE, WO plus ST coverage and blocking (he even returned kicks in college). Who has more potential value on the 53 and on gameday? He should learn how to long snap and then his future would really be made.

Can you tell that this guy is one of my binkies?

Last edited:

Right. I was saying that we'll never see him line up at TB, in a Dillon sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots