PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miller's punting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I think after GB;s game we all know that something is amiss with him...he is injured..and now with Rourn or Walter possible in..it's obvious why Braugher was brought in on the PSqd...Hmmmm...this could be an achilles heel..

I'm glad you brought the topic up. Miller has been downright Walteresque. What's up with him recently? The Packers are bad enough to not be able to take advantage of the field position he gave them but the Bears are a different story.

Today's Globe says that Miller is hurt, which makes sense, it also says that Walter was going to retire, but he might get another look from BB. Is it me, or does BB have a soft spot in his heart for Walter? seems he let him keep his job long after it was apparent that he wasn't cutting it anymore. It's like Walter has BB's mother locked up in his basement or something.

He's been having a down year for a while now. Not a terrible year - and don't even mention the name Ken Walter either as a comparison or replacement - but a disappointment. Maybe he's hurt, OTOH he is 37 or so and no-one lasts forever. He's not a problem but he's not a benefit either right now. What's bothered me for a while isn't his distance but his directional punting. Last year he had 22 inside the 20 and 4 TB all year (with a 45.1 average). This year his average is 43.0 but he has 12 inside the 20 (headed for about the same as last year) and 7 TB. Ick. Better than 5/1 Inside the 20 / TB last year and not even 2/1 this year.

Last edited:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

November 21, 2006
Punter talk

ANALYSIS
Could Ken Walter return to the Patriots?

It might seem like a far-fetched thought, but for any team looking to address injuries at punter, Walter is clearly on the radar.

The league's personnel wire has been active in recent weeks, with a few teams bringing in punters. The Jaguars and Texans, specifically, have looked at punters. Walter worked out for both teams, as did Tom Rouen. A few other punters who got a look from Jacksonville were Andy Groom and Joel Stelly. The Eagles worked out Western Michigan's Adam Anderson on Tuesday.

How does this possibly connect to the Patriots?

Clearly, Josh Miller hasn't been himself recently. Miller has consistently had one of the strongest legs of any punter over his 11-year career, but he's not striking the ball with his trademark pop. If indeed an injury is hampering Miller, the Patriots might consider seeking a backup plan.

Walter, who filed his retirement papers last year but is attempting a comeback this year, told the Globe last week that his three-year stint in New England (2001-2003) was a highlight of his career.

"There were so many learning curves -- I was the best of the best, then I was booed, then I had a good game," he said. "Those fans were on me that final season, and for good reason. At times they brought out the best in me, and at times they knocked me down when I was already down. But I wouldn't trade that experience for anything."

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 10:00:47 PM

I think Mike went a bit off the deep end here. Miller is fine. Just like all punters, he's going to go through streaks and slumps. I highly, highly doubt the Pats are even thinking about bringing back Walter.

Last edited:
I think it may be possible...and I really think he's been injured...why else would they bring in a PSquad punter..unless they were thinking he might be needed?? And it did seem odd that he had eben a guest on Felger's show UNTIL that same time..maybe wishing to be sure that he NOT let it out anything at all about his injury..I mean let another team nknow about that and he's a target for sure. After his poor puntng, my guess is he's injured...that simple.

FreeTedWilliams said:
Today's Globe says that Miller is hurt, which makes sense, it also says that Walter was going to retire, but he might get another look from BB. Is it me, or does BB have a soft spot in his heart for Walter? seems he let him keep his job long after it was apparent that he wasn't cutting it anymore. It's like Walter has BB's mother locked up in his basement or something.

Too bad BB's dad is deceased.
It was hilarious years ago when Walter was shanking punts all over the place and uncharacteristicly Steve Belichick commented to the press that he was mystified why BB kept Walter on the roster.
A man-boy infatuation?

I recall reading that Walter was a ball boy for BB in Cleveland so BB's known Walter since he was a kid. And of course we know he loves left footed punters.

Such a sentimental guy our BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye