Welcome to PatsFans.com

Military Accounts for 20% of suicides..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 14, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Find this interesting that the number is high, points to the need to do something different for our warriors when they leave war, it is somewhat a shame that there have been cutbacks in VA services as this is a serious void.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=aqlUKTADVlAM&refer=home

Current and former military personnel accounted for about 20 percent of U.S. suicides in 2005, according to a government study.

About 1,821 current or former soldiers committed suicide in 16 states in 2005, the most recent year of available data, according to the report published today by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Almost half were diagnosed with depression and a third left suicide notes.

A rise in suicides among soldiers serving in the military has alarmed Pentagon planners and members of Congress as the war in Iraq enters its sixth year. An Army report produced last year found the rate of suicides among soldiers deployed in Iraq from 2003 to 2006 was almost 40 percent higher than the military's average suicide rate. An update of the Army's Mental Health Advisory Team report released in March found suicide rates for soldiers in 2007 remained ``above normal Army rates.''

``The frequency and the length of deployments are stretching people to the limit and they can't tolerate it,'' Charles Figley, a psychologist who directs the Traumatology Institute at Florida State University, said in a telephone interview today. ``They're taking risks, taking alcohol and taking their own lives because they want to extinguish their pain.''

While 38 percent of the soldiers who took their own lives had a diagnosed mental health condition, only 27 percent were receiving mental health care, according to the CDC report.

2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Ummmmm, talk about parsing & mixing stats to make your point, misleading headlines, and straight up DISHONESTY in reporting.

Read the ACTUAL REPORT.

This report tries to paint the pictures that soldiers are coming back from Iraq/Afghan in droves and offing themselves to the tune of 1 in 5 suicides, is somewhat misleading. It's ALL VETERANS, ALL AGES. In fact, the overwhelming majority (1088 or ~60%) occured in people over the age of 55 (outside the combat range). In fact, less than 185 (less then 10%) we're in that prime combat age of under 35.

Hell, look at the next table and it list "life stressors", over 60% of the total had stress events that have NOTHING to do with the military (Health Problems, Financial issues, legal trouble, etc....).

So basically, this study includes anyone that's ever serves, whethers the suicide is even remotely related to military service. I served once, many eons ago. So if I come home tonight and find my wife blowing the mailman and decide to off myself. I get included in the results as "just another poor veteran suicide. COME ON' :rolleyes:

Even just looking at demographics alone. This survey is a small 16 state sample and THIS CHART shows that in the general population in those states is made up of between 13-16% veterans to start with. It also includes states with HUGE military bases like N & S Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky and NJ, I bet the % of active military/veterans in the general population of those areas are around 20%, if not over.

So basically, that report says that 20% of the suicides occurs within a demographic that basically makes up close to 20% of the population.

SUPER, I wonder how much that cost to figure out. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, EVERY VETERAN (particularly combat vets) should have the access to the quality psychological care they need, but lets keep things in perspective.

Some of the stats the way that they are presented are dishonest, deceptive reporting.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Otherwise, I do agree this part of your statement though. I just saw that number and the immediate BS flags went off.

Stick to the facts, don't be lazy and dishonest in reporting is all I'm saying.

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

I do do my homework, the report did not come up.. thought that Blomberg may have some veracity.. however as in most things that are reported from every source there is some inate bias.. without regard it is still high, and points to the need for intervention and service.

5. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Actually, I meant the reporter. NOT YOU. My beef is with the guy that chose to include that stat (as a headline no less), in talking about the problems of "suicide among recent combat vets". That topic alone can stand on it's merit, with fluffing it with BS that most people can easily ferret out.

It cheapens the argument.

I'm cool with you. :cool:

6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Nice way to wriggle out of it.

Funny how you're quick to jump on other people for posting things from "questionable sources".

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

F off, Blomberg is a questionable source?? It is not a blog it is a news source.. my assumption was that if Blomberg was once considered for the VP of the Republicans or the P of the Repblicans, it was a fairly credible source.. if I am wrong I admit.. my naivete often gets the best of me.. will be watching for your sources..

8. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I guess I missed the part when Mayor Bloomers wrote all the stories himself.

And who considered him as a VP? The man's too liberal for a lot of Democrats, let alone Republicans.

"will be watching for your sources..."

No sh!t sherlock. You already have been.
    Which might be why you get called on yours.

Oh and "F off"? That's nice. LOL. I said something less strenuous to someone once and got an infraction for it.
    :D

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Aren't you in the good mood today, keep telling folks that this internet thing is not real...

10. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Did I step into a love fest or what? ;)

For the record, I have no problem with the source. It's just a crappy article, with a crappy writer trying to "pimp" his story with some BS stats and a fancy headline that just "SCREAMS" bogus story. Hell, you see stuff like this in the NYT everyday.

There is just no vetting stories anymore.

11. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What are you talking about "keep telling folks" etc?

And yes, I'm in a lousy mood today. And BS media stories and people who criticize others for doing the exact same sh!t they do themselves don't help.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

That's the first thing I noticed. The 55 & up ratio. Any suicide is tragic, and the age in question makes me wonder what percentage were Vietnam vets. In anycase, this article reminds me of the NYT's disengenuous, BS article about Vet murder rates, from last year. Seriously though, this is abviously a concern, as any suicide is tragic.

PS, how far has journalistic integrity fallen?

[​IMG]