PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miles Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsChamp88

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First of burned and second would anyone be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for him? I think certainly some teams desperate for a receiver will consider taking advantage of this situation, what do you guys think? He ended up having a great season since Dallas got smart and finally decided start him over Patrick Crayton. Obviously the biggest obstacle will be trying to sign him to a long-term contract.
Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones indicated that the team will not use the franchise tag on restricted free agent Miles Austin.
"We don't need to use the franchise tag," gloated Jones. "How many times have you seen another team give up a one and a three?" Well, less than two years ago, when his very own team gave up a one, a three, and a six for the dried up carcass of Roy Williams. The Cowboys could be inviting a "poison-pill" situation with Austin if they don't sign him to a long-term deal before the start of free agency.
Dallas Cowboys won't use franchise tag on Miles Austin | Dallas Cowboys | Latest news and vid...

He's a really good player but not worth a 1st and a 3rd.

not to mention the pats don't own a 3rd rounder, so it would be a 2nd

Jerry Jones has said publically that Austin is not going anywhere and wants to do a long-term deal with the player.

Austin ain't goin nowhere...that being said...he would be the PERFECT player to run the intermediate routes over the middle. Tough SOB, great hands, breaks tackles...great player. I'm a huge fan

If he can prove he can put up this year's numbers on a consistent basis, I think he is worth it. Now are you going to risk a first and third on one year's worth of production? I think a WR who can give you 1200-1400 yards and double digit TDs is easily worth a first and third when he is only 25. The Cowboys gave up more than that for Roy Williams and he never had the year that Austin had this year (his best year was 10 yards and 4 TDs short of Austin's year this year).

Now would I advocate the Pats signing him and giving up the picks? Probably not. If they did, it would most likely spell the end of Moss here. I just think it is a huge risk.

Last edited:
not to mention the pats don't own a 3rd rounder, so it would be a 2nd

They could easily trade their second rounder or a player (potentially with a pick) to pick up a third if they wanted Austin or any other RFA who commanded a first and third.

Jerry Jones has said publically that Austin is not going anywhere and wants to do a long-term deal with the player.

Well, he can say whatever he wants. If a team offers Austin a deal and are willing to give up the picks, Jones has no say other than to match the offer. I say the odds are very small that he goes elsewhere, but it isn't impossible.

Well, he can say whatever he wants. If a team offers Austin a deal and are willing to give up the picks, Jones has no say other than to match the offer. I say the odds are very small that he goes elsewhere, but it isn't impossible.

Of course. Not impossible but highly unlikely he goes anywhere.

Uh, Miles Austin is easily worth a 1st and 3rd... not only has he proven himself to be one of the top receivers in the NFL, he has a great attitude as well. I remember one game where he didn't get a lot of looks and some reporter asked him about it, he said something like, 'i don't know what's going in the backfield when Tony drops back while i run my route, there's usually a few 300 pound guys rushing to tear off his head'.

Uncapped year looming? No way Jerry Jones of all owners lets any of his players get away. I don't care how he is trying to portray himself as this owner that will spend wisely. Jones and Snyder will take advantage of this, just watch.

Simple answer is who wouldn't want him.

Two questions come to mind though
first is one year enough of a viewing to say he is worth a 1 and a 3 because I think it is a no brainer for a guy who has consistantly put up those numbers. Gotta worry about one year wonder. I have no evidence to prove my theory but I would guess it is more likely that (injuries aside) when a player has a breakout year that he continues to be that good than he was a one year wonder.

The second question is more relevant and can relate to the first one also. How does he translate to your system? And it relates in that is one year enough of a window to tell? I think from a pure skill set he would seem to be a good match but how is his football intellegence and ability to pick up complicated route schemes.

When we made the move for RFA WR Wes Welker he was in out division and we were able to watch him closely for a few years making it easier to part with the picks needed. Do we know enough about him to risk a 1 and 3. From what I know I say yes but I am not the one with their Job on the line so it is easy for me.

Simple answer is who wouldn't want him.

Two questions come to mind though
first is one year enough of a viewing to say he is worth a 1 and a 3 because I think it is a no brainer for a guy who has consistantly put up those numbers. Gotta worry about one year wonder. I have no evidence to prove my theory but I would guess it is more likely that (injuries aside) when a player has a breakout year that he continues to be that good than he was a one year wonder.

The second question is more relevant and can relate to the first one also. How does he translate to your system? And it relates in that is one year enough of a window to tell? I think from a pure skill set he would seem to be a good match but how is his football intellegence and ability to pick up complicated route schemes.

When we made the move for RFA WR Wes Welker he was in out division and we were able to watch him closely for a few years making it easier to part with the picks needed. Do we know enough about him to risk a 1 and 3. From what I know I say yes but I am not the one with their Job on the line so it is easy for me.

Austin is a tremendous talent, but I do agree. 1st and a 3rd seems a bit rich for a guy who has only one 1000 season under his belt.

With that said- love the player. Wish he was on the team.

Last edited:
Austin is a tremendous talent, but I do agree. 1st and a 3rd seems a bit rich for a guy who has only one 1000 season under his belt.

With that said- love the player. Wish he was on the team.

I agree that a first and third is too much for Austin without a proven record of success, but I had the same attitude with Wes Welker. When Welker got the second round tender, I thought I would love the Pats to pick him up but a second rounder was too much for Welker. Fortunately, I was wrong and he was worth far more than a second rounder.

I agree that a first and third is too much for Austin without a proven record of success, but I had the same attitude with Wes Welker. When Welker got the second round tender, I thought I would love the Pats to pick him up but a second rounder was too much for Welker. Fortunately, I was wrong and he was worth far more than a second rounder.

Me too on Welker. Everything I read said it was a steal so I stayed in that camp. I was happy just to see the days of Reche Caldwell behind us.

Although I am reconsidering my position on Austin a little.

In 2005, Welker had 29 catches for 434 yds, 0 TDs
In 2006, Welker had 67 catches for 687 yds, 1 TD

In 2008, Austin had 13 catches for 287 yds
In 2009 Austin had 81 catches for 1332 yds and 11 TDs

2 years Welker 95 catches, 1121 yds, 1 TD
2 years Austin, 94 catches, 1619 yds, 12 TDs

Hmm. Maybe he is worth a #1 pick?

Last edited:
We're more likely to sign Kate Austen, or Stone Cold Steve Austin, than Miles Austin. Jerry isn't letting him go anywhere.

We're more likely to sign Kate Austen, or Stone Cold Steve Austin, than Miles Austin. Jerry isn't letting him go anywhere.

Jane Austen too and shes dead!

Miles Austin is a guy Jerry Jones fell in love with a long time ago, when he was undrafted. There's no chance he isn't a Cowboy.

As long as Tony Romo is quarterbacking the Cowboys, it really doesn't matter who they have at receiver. He's bound to underwhelm come playoffs.

Remember, Austin is a Parcells guy. Parcells loved him in Dallas. I would be absolutely ecstatic if we somehow got our hands on him, but it's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes