Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mike Wright

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by patriot lifer, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

A Mike Reiss response to a question from a fan:

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

With the news about Ty Warren, things look a little more auspicious for the D-Line.

2. Oswlek

Oswlek Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,369 / 14 / -4

3. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

No, I think people on this board were dubious (or uncertain) of his full recovery and per Reiss he's looking better. Hence, auspicious.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. PatsFanStnfrd

PatsFanStnfrd Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That is encouraging.

5. Haley

Haley In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +562 / 8 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Encouraging, but not very.

"he's in a good place" isn't the kind of language I generally associate with someone on a path to full recovery tbh.

6. bccrps

bccrps Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I wonder about that "he's in a good place" choice of words. They seem to be carefully selected, possibly with some leeway in mind.
    Hope I'm dead wrong about that but Wright obviously had a pretty serious concussion last season and, according to reports, was just beginning to fully recover a couple months ago.
    He was a crucial loss last year; clearly having the best season of his career.

7. HomerSchooled

HomerSchooled Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've heard a few times that Mike Wright should be ready to go for the start of the season. I remember the Herald mentioned it. With that in mind, I can see why there was hesitation in drafting a DE. Where's the room? An already decent veteran or a promising young player would have to be given the boot.

Wright's been steadily improving, particularly when it comes to generating sacks (lead the team). If he keeps trending upwards, he could be a rare quality pass rusher for a down linemen in the 3-4. He's not the answer to our defensive woes, but he's certainly a piece of the puzzle.

8. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

while i don't know if he's going to improve much more, the nice thing is that he isn't well-recognized by teams as being anything special, which provides an opportunity of getting those pressures and sacks.

Def. true regarding the drafting of a d-lineman. I could see them taking someone as a high pick in the draft (as in 17+) if they thought the guy was a stud, but otherwise another low-round first round pick or lower would just be lost in the mix with all of our other decent players.

9. Oswlek

Oswlek Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,369 / 14 / -4

Mike Wright gets a hell of a lot more respect from opposing coaches than he does Pats fans. I think you'd be surprised at how many double teams the guy faces.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. patsfanboy

patsfanboy On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +5 / 4 / -0

#80 Jersey

The thing with concussion is the more you have it, the worst it gets. If he end up having another one it could be life threatening, based on his last concussion. I would much rather have him retire than take the risk, but i am no doctor.

11. Haley

Haley In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +562 / 8 / -1

No Jersey Selected

For the sake of argument let's say he does return on day 1. How often do guys return after this kind of injury without it impacting their game play?

(I'm asking this because I really don't know the answer. It isn't meant to be rhetorical.)

12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +687 / 53 / -21

More importantly, you are not Mike Wright.

I took the same position as you do when Bruschi was considering coming back after his stroke. I thought that it was a terrible decision on his part; but, of course, the decision was Bruschi's to make after doctors cleared him and he got many more medical opinions.

So it is with Mike Wright. The nfl is getting more and more serious and strict in its rules regarding concussions. If Wright is allowed to play and he seeks additional medical advice, then I still have the same position as I did when Bruschi was coming back. And again, as was the case then, the decision is Mike Wright's to make. Personally, playing seems very, very risky.

13. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +89 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

I just have to wonder what medical advice is he getting? Is it from the team doctors or outside medical personnel?

I wish Wright the best regardless of what he decides, I just hope he has all the facts to make whatever decision needs to be made.

14. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +448 / 7 / -0

#3 Jersey

And most definitely not auspicious. :p

You actually made that point quite convincingly. :D

15. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

that may be. I haven't noticed it, nor do I have an eye for noticing that sort of thing. I guess I always think back to when we were facing Baltimore in the '09 playoffs and only Warren and Wilfork were holding their ground. I shouldn't fixate on one bad game.

16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +687 / 53 / -21

One can only hope that he consults Bruschi and get additional medical opinions, as Bruschi did.

Personally, I would think that the organization would have the same advice.

17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 20 / -10

#3 Jersey

FWIW, though, Bruschi's situation was very different, from a medical standpoint. Yes, he was rehabbing from a stroke, but aside from the risk of deconditioning, there was essentially zero risk of playing football, in and of itself, contributing to any sort of a "relapse" of his condition, especially after the surgical intervention for his PFO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.