Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mike Wright the surprising pass rusher threat

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

We looked left and looked right all offseason for an OLB to pressure the passer and provide some hurried throws,we found none but.....
    little did we realize that with Seymour gone by week 1 that Mike Wright has emerged as a DE/DT to be the man to do the job consistently based on his play in the first 4 games.

With 3 sacks in 3 games he has played if it continues, he is on pace for around 12-15 sacks on the season,The most by 1 defensive player probably since McGinest left with out looking back at the earlier years - Tippett leads all time in Patriots history with 18.5 in 1984.
  2. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 4 / -0

I thought Wright's pass rush last season was underrated - the pressure was there, but the production didn't follow, so he didn't get a lot of attention. He has a great push and a great motor.

Perhaps the best thing about this defense this year is the depth. In trading Seymour, we have one less great player, but behind him, we have several good players. If you look at Reiss defensive snap counts, you see that the D-Line is seeing a heavy rotation. That means both within games and within the season, players will be fresher and their production will therefore be better.

That was a huge factor in SB 42 - a lack of depth led to a gassed defense at the end of the game, and the defense just couldn't get a stop. I think we'll see this team close out more games thanks to playing many more players on D in an individual game.
  3. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

I feel the same way. More competent bodies means less wear and tear on the individuals. and thus a longer life-cycle through the season.

The team will be just fine, and I expect nothing but improvement through the season.
  4. PatsfanGlo

PatsfanGlo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think BB was able to pull trigger because he felt he can get at least equal amount of production out of player we have and so far, it is working out. Wright, while not physically gifted as Seymour, is high mortor guy imo. Put that next to Wilfork playing for contract, that's pretty good combination. What's impressive about Wright last game was Baltimore actually have good, solid o-line.
  5. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We have a lot of fresh legs at most positions in the defense so that should definitely help us later on in the season! And the rotation on the DL is helpful in keeping the pass rush active.
  6. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Compared to the other monsters on the Pats' d-line he is a bit undersized, but at 6-4 295 has good size nonetheless. I've read that hes a bit of a liability in the running game, but I'm not sure I agree with that. He has made personal comments that he tends to get pushed around (explaining how Wilfork got hurt as he was pushed into him on a double-team) but I think hes ok playing the run.

I may be dating myself but he reminds me of Trace Armstong (w/o the talent TA had). He was a bit undersized but the guy was a force on the line rushing from both the edge and b/t/w the tackles.

Certainly I do like Wright and with his motor and other guys on the line occupying blockers, he should get to around 8-10 sacks this year which is what #93 had. Not too shabby.
  7. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

I would think that would allow him a little more speed than Wilfork & Co. So more sacks would be expected.
  8. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +169 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I have liked Wright as a pass rusher since he got here. he wa sused situationally in the past and I believe he was hurt last year or the year before so those two things limited his production. he is definitely a good rusher and is better vs the run now that he is used on more downs.
  9. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

As much as I like Mike, his pressure has been because he is being left 1 on 1 more often than not. He is beating his man, but on his 2nd sack in particular on Sunday he stunted around the NT, not sure who it was at the time, and the NT was being double teamed by the C and the RG, Wright went right around them and sacked Flacco.

Not taking anything away from him, just saying that some plays are being opened up for him becuase of the attention the others on the line command.
  10. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I agree. No one is saying he is Seymour circa 2003.
  11. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

But he may very well pass the best year of sacks that Seymour had which I believe was last season.
  12. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I said 8-10 earlier in this thread. I agree!
  13. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That's fine though. A fresh rotation of players coming all day is going to kill OLs. If Sands can do what he did for us last week on a consistent basis, oh boy. This defense WILL be sick.
  14. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +173 / 6 / -1

Fall down?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.