PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wright has another concussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading an article on long term head injuries in Rugby and the NFL, it would be wise for Wright to consider retiring.

Long term side effects could be very dangerous for any player who is concussed multiple times in their career.

Best wishes for Mike on a quick recovery. I'm with many others on this board and hope he prioritizes his long term health above all else at this point.

Hope Mike Wright gets the good advice needed to make the best decision for himself and his future. If Wright should end up on IR, my preference would be for the Pats to resign Eric Moore rather than Gerard Warren.

One of the roles it seemed the team had for Wright was to share the LDE position with Shaun Ellis. They really don't have another DE who you'd want to play that position on early downs (maybe Cunningham?). I was surprised Moore was cut based on what he showed in the preseason. Love and Pryor can adequately fill Wright's DT role for now, plus they will have Brace and Deaderick available after game 6.

Mike had a promising future, but the multiple concussions changes all that. Unfortunately, seems the best thing for Wright is to hang up the cleats.

I expect that the team and Wright are working out an injury settlement before we waive him and presumably sign Warren.

I expect that the team and Wright are working out an injury settlement before we waive him and presumably sign Warren.

I hope that is the plan. Really do not see him coming back at all. It happened on a helmet collision with Pouncey on a Bush edge run at 11:18 in the 2nd quarter. He went to his knee and did not get up for a while.

That would be a foolish move on his part. He's best served just riding out the year on IR, taking his $1 million next year, and calling it a career.

Hope Mike Wright gets the good advice needed to make the best decision for himself and his future. If Wright should end up on IR, my preference would be for the Pats to resign Eric Moore rather than Gerard Warren.

One of the roles it seemed the team had for Wright was to share the LDE position with Shaun Ellis. They really don't have another DE who you'd want to play that position on early downs (maybe Cunningham?). I was surprised Moore was cut based on what he showed in the preseason. Love and Pryor can adequately fill Wright's DT role for now, plus they will have Brace and Deaderick available after game 6.
The LDE spot is a bigger guy. Moore is too small. If Wright is out, it may well be Pryor that slides out to back up Ellis.

The scary thing about his injury is that there is no clear-cut replay of how he suffered a concussion. I don't remember anything out of the ordinary from his last play last season or from the game monday night. It may be best for him to hang it up.

Pryor can certainly be the backup to Ellis. I would prefer that we sign Gerard Warren.

The LDE spot is a bigger guy. Moore is too small. If Wright is out, it may well be Pryor that slides out to back up Ellis.

I think it's time to hang it up. Not worth risking

I think it's time to hang it up. Not worth risking

I agree. We have 2 guys in waiting in Deadrick and Brace. To get a concussion from just bumping helmuts means Wright should hang it up in my opinion. I assume that Kraft will pay the $1M due to Wright even if it is paid out over time.

Neither Wright nor the Patriots, both of whom know more than we do, have given up on his return this season.

When Bruschi was trying to come back, Kraft wanted him to sign an agreement that would hold the team harmless in the event of further injury (not his finest hour, IMO). Wouldn't surprise me if they did something similar.

I'm hoping it's a case of mis-diagnosis.

What if Mike Wright really IS Batman!?

I was afraid of this happening- I agree with posters who think it might be time for Wright to call it a career. I'd hate to see him with post-concussion syndrome-bad stuff.

FWIW, I really hope that Wright is thinking long and hard about retirement. He's made enough money, and while nobody wants to call it quits before their time, especially guys who are competitive and driven enough to make it to the NFL, there are just more important things in life.

Neither Wright nor the Patriots, both of whom know more than we do, have given up on his return this season.

I was thinking the same thing. While I think it would be wise for him to retire, I find it interesting that it didn't happen right away. The longer he's on the active roster, the better the chance he plays again.

Sucks for Wright, sucks for team and fans. At least Prior is stepping up and looking like a young Wright.

Best of luck.

True, but it's not like this is an ankle injury. It's a concussion to a guy who was just out a huge amount of time because of a concussion, and he didn't even last a quarter of a game into the season. The long-term mental health of the guy is at stake here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes