PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wright:”(Injury) was very scary,”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know there's been a lot of concern here about Mike Wright. The Herald talked to him:

"”It was very scary,” Wright said earlier tonight, speaking for the first time about the injury since it happened during the game against the Colts. ”It’s something you can’t describe. I don’t wish it upon anybody, that’s for sure.”

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Mike Wright talks about his season-ending concussion for the first time: ”It’s something you can’t describe.”

Great to hear he's coming along. Wish him the best.

WOW, that sounds like it was terrible. Glad he's getting his health back.

”I’ve had concussions prior to this, but nothing where the symptoms lingered on quite as much,”

At what point is enough, enough? Is the reward that much greater than the risk?

”I’ve had concussions prior to this, but nothing where the symptoms lingered on quite as much,”

At what point is enough, enough? Is the reward that much greater than the risk?
That's a great question.

On the other hand, how easy would it be for anyone to walk away from $2.165M this year and another $2.205M next year? Or for a player with no rings that was part of a team that went 14-2 last year, and is in as good shape as any to win it all going into next season?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you're coming from; I'm just saying it's not as easy a decision as it probably should be for a player like Wright.

That's a great question.

On the other hand, how easy would it be for anyone to walk away from $2.165M this year and another $2.205M next year? Or for a player with no rings that was part of a team that went 14-2 last year, and is in as good shape as any to win it all going into next season?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you're coming from; I'm just saying it's not as easy a decision as it probably should be for a player like Wright.

And let's not forget that Wright was an UDFA, so (A) it's not like he got even a $100K signing bonus as a rookie, and (B) if he's managed to last this long in New England, he must truly love football, so that makes it even harder.

That's a great question.

It was that quoted statement that made me wonder. The money is great, but is it worth it? I guess only he can answer that. It's likely a given that he'll have more concussions be they small or large. The long term health of players didn't make me uncomfortable in the past. Now that it is becoming more public knowledge...

It was that quoted statement that made me wonder. The money is great, but is it worth it? I guess only he can answer that. It's likely a given that he'll have more concussions be they small or large. The long term health of players didn't make me uncomfortable in the past. Now that it is becoming more public knowledge...

I would agree that it's a hard question to answer for some people. I think for many people on this board who have college degrees and successful careers as doctors, high-tech, etc., its easy to say, 'keep your health and move on' as we already have careers that will take us into our 50s and 60s. However for these players who love football more than anything and coupled with the potential financial benefit of being essentially "set for life", it really isn't an easy decision.

I would imagine that the decision is much more difficult for players who have grown up in harsh environments such as the inner-city where drugs, guns and violence are part of an everyday life.

On the other hand, how easy would it be for anyone to walk away from $2.165M this year and another $2.205M next year?

THIS...THIS is EXACTLY what the focus of the contracts talks should be about. How to take care of these young men who when they get injured, should leave the game but are tempted by the money, because of the short duration of their working lives in this field.

I would agree that it's a hard question to answer for some people. I think for many people on this board who have college degrees and successful careers as doctors, high-tech, etc., its easy to say, 'keep your health and move on' as we already have careers that will take us into our 50s and 60s. However for these players who love football more than anything and coupled with the potential financial benefit of being essentially "set for life", it really isn't an easy decision.

I would imagine that the decision is much more difficult for players who have grown up in harsh environments such as the inner-city where drugs, guns and violence are part of an everyday life.

I agree. And for many, I think it goes beyond just the money. The teammates, the camaraderie, the adulation, the adrenaline rush on Sundays...it is a dream life in many ways. There's lots of hard work that goes into it, don't get me wrong, but there's nothing in real life that really compares to it.

THIS...THIS is EXACTLY what the focus of the contracts talks should be about. How to take care of these young men who when they get injured, should leave the game but are tempted by the money, because of the short duration of their working lives in this field.

I think progress is being made here. Owners have offered to guarantee contracts for $1 mil post-injury and players get medical benefits for life when they retire. But when it comes to splitting up a $10 billion pie, this stuff takes a back seat.

That's a great question.

Man, I see what you're saying, but I don't know. He said he's had concussions before. It could be that this is a result of multiple concussions taking affect and the next one could be even worse. Whatever he decides, I hope he's getting good advice from people outside the football world and I hope it turns out for the best.

You have to remember that we're talking about a young man's view of things versus the views that us older fellows have. Mike still looks through the lens that says he's young and immortal, he hasn't had that one VERY REAL event yet where he suddenly realizes he isn't immortal and bad stuff can still happen.

I was just like him at his age, (not a football player with his physique) but an aircrewman and rescue swimmer in the Navy. I thought I could take any injury in stride, that nothing bad was going to happen to me, until it did. The accident I was in put everything else back into sharp focus and ended my flying career.

It was hard for me to accept that I couldn't do those things anymore, even though I was essentially healed up, because of the risk of re-injury that could make things even worse. I fought for 6 months to stay in, but eventually the Flight Surgeons convinced me that it was NOT in my best interest to keep at that job and to find another line of work. I'm glad now that I was able to walk away from it, but it took me a long time to realize that there was more to life than that and it was time to move on.

I wish him well, and hope he makes the right decision based upon HIS health and safety, and not upon what he loves to do. It's a damned hard choice, but there is life afterward, and new things to try out and explore.

Respects,

Thank you for your service. Well said; great perspective.

Great post Gwedd.

I cannot stand in the place Wright and his decision. I trust that, as Bruschi did, Wright will get opinions from team doctors and other doctors. I didn't want Bruschi to come back.. I don't want tWright to come back. However, if Wright is given medical clearance, the decision will be his. He certainly won't have any trouble winning a roster spot.

You have to remember that we're talking about a young man's view of things versus the views that us older fellows have. Mike still looks through the lens that says he's young and immortal, he hasn't had that one VERY REAL event yet where he suddenly realizes he isn't immortal and bad stuff can still happen.

I was just like him at his age, (not a football player with his physique) but an aircrewman and rescue swimmer in the Navy. I thought I could take any injury in stride, that nothing bad was going to happen to me, until it did. The accident I was in put everything else back into sharp focus and ended my flying career.

It was hard for me to accept that I couldn't do those things anymore, even though I was essentially healed up, because of the risk of re-injury that could make things even worse. I fought for 6 months to stay in, but eventually the Flight Surgeons convinced me that it was NOT in my best interest to keep at that job and to find another line of work. I'm glad now that I was able to walk away from it, but it took me a long time to realize that there was more to life than that and it was time to move on.

I wish him well, and hope he makes the right decision based upon HIS health and safety, and not upon what he loves to do. It's a damned hard choice, but there is life afterward, and new things to try out and explore.

Respects,
It's damned tough to go from leading the missions to hovering outside the comm center after you've ordered a crew out yourself. As Chris Ledoux wrote and sang ...

He just did it better than this fellow.

I cannot stand in the place Wright and his decision. I trust that, as Bruschi did, Wright will get opinions from team doctors and other doctors. I didn't want Bruschi to come back.. I don't want tWright to come back. However, if Wright is given medical clearance, the decision will be his. He certainly won't have any trouble winning a roster spot.

Bruschi's situation is not really comparable to Wright's. Once 54 was fully rehabbed, there was essentially no additional risk to him returning.

In any case, FWIW, the medical staff refused to clear Wright last fall.

Last edited:
Great posts, guys -- one after the other. Toooough situation.

On the football side, I note:

• The article doesn't say Wright is yet or ever will be healthy enough to play.
  • Even if he ever does play again, the chances are high he'll be on a "One more episode like that and you have to quit the game immediately" leash.

Last edited:
Bruschi's situation is not really comparable to Wright's. Once 54 was fully rehabbed, there was essentially no additional risk to him returning.

In any case, FWIW, the medical staff refused to clear Wright last fall.

CT - MG wasn't comparing the two situations. He was just mentioning his feelings on the subject.

I have to agree with MG. If this is as bad as Wright said, then he needs to hang them up. He'll be right up there with Pat LaFontaine in terms of athletes who have had their careers cut short due to concussions.

As others have pointed out, my first reaction to this was "maybe it's time to step away." I mean the fact that he has had other concussions and they never lingered like this *might* mean that he's had too many concussions. Unfortunately concussions are apart of this game, there just really isn't any way to avoid them as of yet. Helmet technology is getting better and it seems as though the league is tying to implement rules that reduce this type of hit but still, it's kinda unavoidable no matter what is done at this point.

I hope Mike takes everyhing into consideration and makes the best choice for him. Only he knows if he's able to continue to play. If he's not, I'd hate for him to make a return to football soley based on $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down