PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Williams for NE????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This was mentioned on PFW last week..and I didn't see a mention of that here. Seems like Detroit may do it for a 4th...Hmmmm would you do it?? Thoughts?? Given the Branch situation, it may eb waht is needed.,,just adding depth.

I'll take a pass. I thought that guy was going to be a bust before he even entered the draft.

Was this a rumor that the Patriots are interested or just a rumor that he could be traded ? I would definitely be interested but I don't want to think too much about it unless we've been linked at least a little.

Pats726 said:
This was mentioned on PFW last week..and I didn't see a mention of that here. Seems like Detroit may do it for a 4th...Hmmmm would you do it?? Thoughts?? Given the Branch situation, it may eb waht is needed.,,just adding depth.
I would consider that a chance worth taking - although I don't know the specifics of his contract status (which must always be considered).

QuiGon said:
although I don't know the specifics of his contract status (which must always be considered).
As is usual with #1 picks, the salary is low and Detroit would eat the signing bonus. These are the numbers, there may be other bonuses involved, though :

2005 230000.00
2006 350000.00
2007 600000.00
2008 885000.00
2009 975000.00
2010 560000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Media/playerProfile.asp?ID=35729

We don't need another tight end on the roster.

no we dont need another TE but how about a WR whos been losing weight and getting quicker whos 6"4 - 6"5 .. where have our tall WRs been last few years? Right now its Jackson at 6"1 but Williams for a 4th..definatley worth it

I'd take a low cost chance on him...

we could use the height but he has a bad reputation for work ethic.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah thats the knock on him..not motivated/worth ethic..doesnt come to practice on time a lot..not motivated. but with Brady..every WR is motivated..and on this team you need to be so if Patriots look at it and decide to give it a shot..i can see him being our #3 or #4 this year if Branch is around adn then if they shine..i have a bad feeling Branch would be let to walk. But its a rumor..nothing more i believe.

BelichickFan said:
Was this a rumor that the Patriots are interested or just a rumor that he could be traded ? I would definitely be interested but I don't want to think too much about it unless we've been linked at least a little.
Listen to PFW last week..the 21st..It was mentioned..I think in the starting part of the show..

I remember watching Williams a few years back (USC vs Michigan) and Brady being there and saying how much he would to have Williams to threw to. In my opinion he would be a steal for a 4th,

I think it is interesting..and for a 4th??? Certainly not all that much..and Detroit has too many receivers...why not?? Unfortunately, PFWas the only place I heard it..so??? who knows..it IS interesting..he's only 22 so?? a young tall receiver..and??

We don't need a tall receiver. I'm not saying we should avoid them, but it's not a suitable impetus for making such a trade, especially for a guy who has been a bust thus far. I'd rather BB and Pioli save the pick and use it.

how do u consider mike williams a bust thus far? He started as a #3 behind Roy Williams and Charles Rogers..got nicked up a little bit..Rogers got suspended..Vines went to #2 while Williams was hurt..came back and since Vines played great..he stayed at #3. Got 350 yards. The QBs were Harrington and Garcia switching a lot so its hard. You cant call a 1 year player a bust with a decent season witha horrible team. They had no OL which is why Kevin Jones sucked and Harrington was the bust on the offense so it was bad in Detroit.

Mike Williams..if he has another bad season if he starts at #2..then hes a bust.

Charles Rogers was the next Randy Moss and has done nothing yet..hes a bust.
Also consider Mike Williams didnt play his senior year..so hes been off of footballfor a year..came back as #3 in a horrible team.

Absolutely would take him for a 4th rounder. No one knows what he's capable of as he played for a horrible team without a QB.

also throw in the fact we get a comp. pick as early as roudn 3 next year for loss of Vinatieri, McGinest and Givens

Teams are having trouble getting 2nd round picks for guys with 1000 yard seasons on their resume. He showed nothing last year and is now 3 years removed from being a star at USC. Why would that be worth a 4?

dhamz said:
Teams are having trouble getting 2nd round picks for guys with 1000 yard seasons on their resume. He showed nothing last year and is now 3 years removed from being a star at USC. Why would that be worth a 4?
Depends how much we liked him coming out. If we think he's a first round talent (not saying we do, just if) and if there's no big roster bonuses, etc, in his contract, we would get a top talent for a mid draft choice and basically no money.

I would not be overly upset with a 4th rounder reclimation project. It is not as bad as the third rounder we sent for Dwayne Starks right?

IIRC though the Lions are not that good on the D-line? Why not send Hill and a 6th rounder (or maybe Klecko) for Williams? If they were ameinable to such a trade we could get a reciever to work with for a couple of guys we are not getting much out of.

for 4th? lets do it. I don't see any reason why not to trade a 4th for Mike Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes