PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wallace = target for Pats deep threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im probably going to be chased out of here with torches for saying this but it might be time to trade Brady and get Hoyer in there.

Going into this year i said that Brady is a smart quarterback who wont make dumb decisions and turn the ball over. Brady was awful in the AFCG and the patriots won in spite of him, in the Superbowl he had his ups and downs, but he made one huge mistake which gave the giants 9 free points after a good defensive stop, then he throws a really bad deep interception on first down later in the game.

If the Patriots had Hoyer as their guy all the way through training camp, he would start better than Cassel did and ive heard rumors that Hoyer lightyears ahead of where Cassel was when he was starting for the patriots in 2008.

hopefully im wrong and brady is fine, but if Belichick thinks tom is fading too, he should trade him now while he can still get something for him.

/duck.

These are all good points, but let's win now why Brady is reasonably young. If I see another wasted 3rd round pick on a WR who contributes nothing I'm going to lose it. :bricks:

Grokandez still have two years left on their deals. Gronk has Rosenhouse (sp?) as his agent so he may wait for Free Agency.

I think the run game will take off next year. Ridley and Vareen have the talent.

Now there's a combo for the ages, Gronk and Drew Rosenhaus. Imagine BB/Cesario in those negotiations :D

I want to clarify that if Belichick thinks Brady is fine and healthy he should bring him back, but Hoyer is a restricted free agent this year who you could sign for a pretty cheap deal, he is NFL ready right now and in his prime, he is 26 years old, if he doesn't backup Tom Brady next year he will be starting somewhere else in the NFL, after 2012, he wont be on the patriots anymore.

If Belichick wanted to make a move at the QB position, now would be the time to do so.

Last edited:
Im probably going to be chased out of here with torches for saying this but it might be time to trade Brady and get Hoyer in there.

Going into this year i said that Brady is a smart quarterback who wont make dumb decisions and turn the ball over. Brady was awful in the AFCG and the patriots won in spite of him, in the Superbowl he had his ups and downs, but he made one huge mistake which gave the giants 9 free points after a good defensive stop, then he throws a really bad deep interception on first down later in the game.

If the Patriots had Hoyer as their guy all the way through training camp, he would start better than Cassel did and ive heard rumors that Hoyer lightyears ahead of where Cassel was when he was starting for the patriots in 2008.

hopefully im wrong and brady is fine, but if Belichick thinks tom is fading too, he should trade him now while he can still get something for him.

/duck.

I like the idea of selling high, but you can't even entertain the idea of trading a QB of Brady's caliber until you see a clear trend of decline. A mediocre game against the best pass defense in football and a pretty good game with Welker and Hernandez his only legitimate threats is certainly not a trend.

That has been an alarming trend over the last 2-3 years. The question I have is whether that can be mitigated by better/more athletic deep-threat receivers who can make plays with less than stellar throws?

-Jamman

I think that this is a very large part of it. If Brady had a wide receiver or two that could make the acrobatic catches mid/long and sideline, I think his mid to long range completion % improves. Brees and Rodgers have wide receivers who can do that. Brady really doesn't in comparison to those QBs and others.

It seems to me that Brady has to be more accurate with his passes than other QBs who have gifted 6ft or taller athletic WRs. I like the idea of Colston, Lloyd (he knows the offense), and similar UFA WRs that are reasonably fast, reasonably tall and can make great acrobatic catches. When I watch highlights on Youtube for those kind of receivers, a decent number of the passes they get are less than perfect. Those receivers make their QBs look better by attacking the ball and coming down with some tough catches. How can a receiver like that not help Brady with mid-long throws? Pats gotta go get Brady one (assuming they will understand teh Pats offense).

/duck.

You sir, need a whole team of therapists

I want to clarify that if Belichick thinks Brady is fine and healthy he should bring him back, but Hoyer is a restricted free agent this year who you could sign for a pretty cheap deal, he is NFL ready right now and in his prime, he is 26 years old, if he doesn't backup Tom Brady next year he will be starting somewhere else in the NFL, after 2012, he wont be on the patriots anymore.

If Belichick wanted to make a move at the QB position, now would be the time to do so.

I would cut Brady but not for Hoyer. Only if Micheal Bishop was still around.

The Patriots can and will have a great offense in 2012, the patriots offense is now about delivering the ball and gaining huge YAC, with the patriots offensive line, almost any NFL rated QB should be able to make most of the throws that Brady does now.

What you lose from trading tom is someone who knows every facet of the offense, who has seen everything and knows how to react when things change in front of him. i dont know if Brian Hoyer could ever run the hurryup offense as well as Brady does right now because of that.

i love tom brady. i love his fire, his work ethic, his drive and his football intelligence, but if Belichick thinks Hoyer can come close, he has to make this move. he would free up about 10 million in cap space and you could actually go pick up any WR you wanted after that and have 4 of the best targets in the game with one of the best O-lines in the game to protect him.

I think that this is a very large part of it. If Brady had a wide receiver or two that could make the acrobatic catches mid/long and sideline, I think his mid to long range completion % improves. Brees and Rodgers have wide receivers who can do that. Brady really doesn't in comparison to those QBs and others.

It seems to me that Brady has to be more accurate with his passes than other QBs who have gifted 6ft or taller athletic WRs. I like the idea of Colston, Lloyd (he knows the offense), and similar UFA WRs that are reasonably fast, reasonably tall and can make great acrobatic catches. When I watch highlights on Youtube for those kind of receivers, a decent number of the passes they get are less than perfect. Those receivers make their QBs look better by attacking the ball and coming down with some tough catches. How can a receiver like that not help Brady with mid-long throws? Pats gotta go get Brady one (assuming they will understand teh Pats offense).

got a taste of it in 2007 from da freak...
98 for 1493, 23TD

These guys do not grow on trees, that's why a 6'4, 220 Colston is a must have if the goal is to go for broke next 3-4 years left in Brady's career, even if you have to overpay, now is the time to get that playmaker

brady can't throw the ball that far

bowe would be a better fit

Brady has thrown ths ball more than 70yds in the air, I don't know why you'd think he can't throw far.

Lets just bring back Kliff Kingsbury and call it a day.

excuses of comparing teams they play or do not play or making excuse for dome is grasping for straws, where your argument has nothing to stand on

Be that as it may, throw out Wallace year 1, and Colston year 3(injury with 11 games)

So , First 3 seasons, throwing the outlier season out

Wallace
Season #2 60 Catches
Season #3 72 catches
Avg 66.

Colston
Season #1 70 catches
Season #2 98 catches
Avg. 84

84 > 66
Game over

Career Avg catches:
Wallace : 57.0 (3 seasons)
Colston : 74.8 (6 seasons)

74.8 > 57
Game over, again

Career Avg per games played
Wallace : 171 catches / 48 games = 3.56 catches per game
Colstons : 449 catches / 86 games = 5.22 catches per game

5.22 > 3.56
Game over, again

As is so often the case with your posts, you not only don't don't help your own argument, but you actually help the argument of those disagreeing with you. Bringing in the medium-deep threat isn't about catch numbers. They've got Welker/Gronk/Hernandez for that. It's about getting depth and keeping the opponent honest, and that's where Wallace having seasons with better overall yardage numbers on fewer catches, with the result of considerably better YPC, comes in. You don't want to replace the trio, you want to augment it with a player who fits well by strengthening areas of weakness without diminishing what's already there. Wallace is a better fit in that way than Colston would be.

As for your comment about domes and opponents being "excuses", you know that's a lie, so I'll leave it at that.

Also, one last thing to note is that the Saints throw the ball more often than do the Steelers (over 120 more attempts this year, for example), and Brees is a more accurate QB than is Roethlisberger, so it's to be expected that Colston would have his volume numbers (I.E. total catches) somewhat inflated by that in comparison, as well.

Last edited:
Why can't they Franchise him? So what if he's in the first three years? It used to be either/or. Is the CBA specifying that no third year player can be tagged? If so, there's a chance we lose Gronk. Further, we can go after Andy Dalton in two tears (and only pay a 1st?). Something's not right about this.

Heck no; we don't need no stinkin' Wallace. The Patriots picked Brandon "Sharon" Tate just ahead of Wallace. Clearly the Patriots don't need him. And heck the Patriots don't need Torrey Smith either since they drafted the unforgettable Shane Vereen just ahead of him.

In BB we trust. I am sure that Tate will prove better than Wallace; he just needs time...
:rolleyes:

BB should never ever be allowed to draft (or not draft) a RB or WR again...heck why would we need Torrey Smith when we had Price?

Last edited:
Why can't they Franchise him? So what if he's in the first three years? It used to be either/or. Is the CBA specifying that no third year player can be tagged? If so, there's a chance we lose Gronk. Further, we can go after Andy Dalton in two tears (and only pay a 1st?). Something's not right about this.

He's not an unrestricted free agent. Its not like the Pats give up their first and he's ours, we have to sign him to an offersheet which the Steelers are allowed to match. If they can't or choose not to our 31st pick goes to them. (Not 100% sure about the order of the the offersheet signing/matching.)

If the Pats were going to give up a 1st round pick on a RFA I'd rather see them go after Lardarius Webb from the Ravens. We'll get our #1 corner and McCourty can move to FS. That should help our secondary. The Ravens have three big FA's in Webb, Ray Rice and Ben Grubbs. I'd think the would francise Rice above all.

yup just look what joseph did for the texans. We can sign lloyd and cut ocho stinko. we can run the 2 wr 2 te and 1 rb. lloyd, welker, gronk, Ahern, and ridley,vereen, and woodhead or bjge

Can Brady not throw it far, or does he simply not have anyone to throw it to?

I'm tempted to say it's more the latter than the former.

Exactly. I remember Brady suddenly throwing the deep ball very well once he actually get deep threats - Stallworth, Moss. 07. Ring a bell anyone?

The Patriots can and will have a great offense in 2012, the patriots offense is now about delivering the ball and gaining huge YAC, with the patriots offensive line, almost any NFL rated QB should be able to make most of the throws that Brady does now.

That's gotta be a joke right?

What you lose from trading tom is someone who knows every facet of the offense, who has seen everything and knows how to react when things change in front of him. i dont know if Brian Hoyer could ever run the hurryup offense as well as Brady does right now because of that.

You just compared Brady to Hoyer with a straight face. *facepalm*

i love tom brady. i love his fire, his work ethic, his drive and his football intelligence, but if Belichick thinks Hoyer can come close, he has to make this move. he would free up about 10 million in cap space and you could actually go pick up any WR you wanted after that and have 4 of the best targets in the game with one of the best O-lines in the game to protect him.

Let's save 10 million in cap space and downgrade from Brady to Hoyer. EPIC FAIL idea!

Last edited:
Heck no; we don't need no stinkin' Wallace. The Patriots picked Brandon "Sharon" Tate just ahead of Wallace. Clearly the Patriots don't need him. And heck the Patriots don't need Torrey Smith either since they drafted the unforgettable Shane Vereen just ahead of him.

In BB we trust. I am sure that Tate will prove better than Wallace; he just needs time...
:rolleyes:

BB should never ever be allowed to draft (or not draft) a RB or WR again...heck why would we need Torrey Smith when we had Price?

1. you forgot the trade up in Rd 2 of 2006 for that UF one year wonder Chad Jackson while passing up on a very productive college WR Greg Jennings , 238 receptions at W. Michigan

2. Next, Look at all the WR's drafted after Taylor Price....all contributing...Eric Decker, Emanuel Sanders, Brandon Lafell, Jordan Shipley, Damian Williams

the hits keep on coming......they have no clue how to scout, draft, develop a WR. No clue in 10+ years. Just keep bring scrap heap FA and hope and pray.

Imagine if Dolphins had refused to trade Welker to Pats ! lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye