Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mike Wallace Considers Pats & 49ers As Options

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DaBronxPats14, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBronxPats14

DaBronxPats14 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

With rumors of Steelers trying to re-$ign Mike Wallace according to to reports in this article It's good to know that Wallace would even consider playing for NE with our battles with Steelers.

Read On...........

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace made an appearance on SiriusXM Radio on Wednesday per NFL.com, and he stated that he would be interested in playing for the New England Patriots or the San Francisco 49ers. “Most definitely. Those are two playoff-caliber teams. Super Bowl-caliber teams,” said Wallace.s. “I think that the right person or the right piece for those guys could put them over the top. All they need is one more piece … most definitely, those are Super Bowl-contending teams.” Later on in the interview, Wallace did say that he loves being a part of the Steelers. “I wouldn’t want to go anywhere and leave the situation where I am at with a great quarterback, a great organization or go somewhere where I don’t feel like I could succeed.” Either the 49ers or the Patriots would be a good fit for Wallace, since they both lack a deep threat at the wide receiver position. At the end of the day, I really don’t see how the Steelers will be able to ...

Original Story: Mike Wallace interested in playing for the 49ers or Patriots – Pro Football Zone...
  2. TheComeback

TheComeback Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Go for it if they can sign him to an offer that doesn't kill their cap space. Easily the best deep threat in the NFL.

I don't think two marquee receivers is investing too much in one position. The NFL is different now. You could argue that outside of OL and QB, WR is the most important position on any team.

Just have to keep in mind that he's probably saying this to drive up his market value.
  3. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

I'm thinking we should instead sign Brandon Lloyd & Reggie Wayne, which would likely give TFB better weapons than he's ever had and then sign this guy!

[​IMG]

Just imagine him in Patriot blue over Sanchez, in leprechaun green:D
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Following the OP's link to it's referenced NFL.com link, I saw this and thought it was rather amusing.

NFL.com news: Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

Meanwhile, the thought of Wallace effortlessly gliding under 60-yard bombs from Tom Brady just sent the majority of Jets fans into catatonic shock. Someone call Fireman Ed's emergency contact.​

The following should also be noted before anybody gets too carried away with Wallace's comment.

It's important to note Wallace didn't suggest San Francisco and New England as landing spots. He was asked a question about those teams, and he answered honestly. Nevertheless, this probably will cause all sorts of consternation in the Steel City, especially since Wallace also said "I definitely want to get my money," and Pittsburgh doesn't have the salary-cap room to use the franchise tag on him.​

And the NFL.com link leads to the original source, a three minute excerpt of the SiriusXM interview, which can be heard here; his hesitation in responding to the question leads me to think that Wallace hadn't really thought that much about the Pats or 49ers prior to being asked the question.

Mike Wallace, restricted free agent WR, joined Adam Schein & Rich Gannon earlier today on The SiriusXM Blitz and talked about potential destinations in free agency. - SiriusXM Sports
  5. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

like most FA's he will sign with the 2-14 rams if the money is right
  6. MSU

MSU Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Do you ever watch Wayne outside the Pats-Colts games? The dude was in decline in 2010, he doesn't get separation like he use to.
  7. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The numbers Im picturing that Wayne, Lloyd and Super Mario would cost put us waaaaay over the cap.

Everyone loves to fantasize though.
  8. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Wallace is getting ripped for being a 1 trick pony. i think sanders is a good replacement for steelers .He can do other stuff and can be in no huddle for the steelers.

i wonder the reality if they get him but have to stop no huddle as his limitation.

llyod is another 1 i do not get. he had 1 good season and is not a outside guy. People say wes who plays near the LOS where pure speed is not a factor is too old at 31 but want to sign a 31 year old on the outside with 1 good year. what if next year he looses a step ?....
  9. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's been said before, but Wallace is going to cost a ton of money, plus a 1st round pick, doesn't have a reputation for running a large variety of routes (which the Pats usually prefer) and there's no guarantee he'll have great luck picking up our system. Take away any one of those negatives and you could still argue it's a risk. But with all of them combined, I don't see any reason to consider him other than the "wow" factor of his speed.

Lloyd is a safer option for less money and no pick compensation. He also instantly improves our receiving game outside the numbers, which IMO was more of a problem than our inability to stretch the field.

Sign Lloyd instead of Wallace, and invest the extra money and pick into solidifying the defense.
  10. PatriotDynasty_12

PatriotDynasty_12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How does anyone not get the interest in Lloyd? He absolutely exploded when McDaniels came into Denver and has arguably the best hands in the NFL. He also produced in a terrible St.Louis offense under McDaniels and we NEED someone who UNDERSTANDS our offense. He didn't show any signs last year of losing a step. Also, Ocho is a great example of why we should pursue Lloyd, someone who already understands the system and can stretch the field(whether you think he can or not)
  11. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Watch this: Best Brandon Lloyd Bronco Highlights - YouTube

That's why people are interested in Lloyd.
  12. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey
    Tampa Bay gets him
  13. MP-Logick

MP-Logick Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No way they give up the 5th overall pick.
  14. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Do you have anything positive to contribute about players in the NFL or do you insist on being negative 95 per cent of the time?

Wayne put up some impressive numbers in 2010.
  15. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey
    true...but they do have lots of $$ this FA..who knows
  16. Simple Jack's Brother

Simple Jack's Brother Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How much would it costs to snag Laurent Robinson or Robert Meachem? Robinson is 26, 6'2" 195lbs, fast, had 11 TDs in 1/2 a season with the Cowboys, and averaged 15.9 yds per catch. Meachem is 27, 6'2" 210lbs, fast, caught 6tds, and averaged 15.5 yds per catch in a pass happy offense like ours. I'd rather get both of those guys than pay for Wallace at $9-10mil/yr.
  17. fnordcircle

fnordcircle tfw not enough helmets PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -4

My Jersey:

Mario Williams is a pipe dream. He won't get the value here he could get elsewhere.

Wallace's cap hit + draft pick cost make him too steep of a price for my taste.

Lloyd and Wayne are realistic.
  18. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Lloyd has had nearly two good years under McDaniels. He didn't play an entire year with McDaniels last year. Plus he had over 1,400 yards and 11 TDs with Kyle Orton throwing to him, not Brady. Even in the bad Rams' offense, he had 683 yards and 5 TDs in 11 games. Not stellar numbers, but considering how bad their offense was before him those are pretty good. He missed the first five games of the season for the Rams and still finished first for them in receiving yards, receptions, and receiving TDs and by a good amount in all three categories.
  19. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Personally, the one thing that worries me about Wallace is that the Steelers run a simple offense that just relies on Roethlisberger to run around with the ball and give his receivers extra time to get open. I am still concerned that Wallace is not suited for the Pats complicated offense where Brady gets rid of the ball quickly.
  20. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    We win whether we go with Wallace or Lloyd. Gronkowski,Hernandez, a signed Welker and then a true deep threat is a matchup nightmare. Who do you double? Add in a renewed commitment to the running game for good measure to keep those defenses honest.
  21. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Assuming we could maximize Wallace's talent, yes, this would be easily the best offense in the NFL and one of the best ever. I don't see it with Lloyd. this is already a great offense; I think Lloyd makes us slightly better.
  22. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Steelers MAIN goal is to keep Wallace and restructured Ben's contract today to pull even with the cap....A few more cuts and Wallace probably stays in Pitt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/54115/steelers-restructure-roethlisbergers-deal

If any team is smart enough to keep good players for a long time,it's Pittsburgh.

I think once they found out that the only AFC team more successful than them in the last decade in the Pats and their hated Rivals in the Ravens both wanted Wallace,the Steelers began a can't afford to lose Wallace campaign.

Wallace isn't going anywhere but may be costing the Steelers some talented players lost since they will HAVE to cut them loose to afford Mike.
  23. Smokeeye123

Smokeeye123 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No, I still think they are about 2 or 3 million over.
  24. micronin127

micronin127 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Steelers are restructuring Roethlisberger to free up $8 million in 2012 cap space. Next up is Polamalu.

They haven't even really made and significant cuts though I expect them to cut Casey Hampton due to be overweight, 35, and dealing with an ACL injury.

Even with all this they won't be big players in free agency and are doing everything in their power to keep Mike Wallace. And Wallace seems to want to stay in Pittsburgh so expect a big contract with a lower cap number in year one to fit into whatever space they can clear for him.

The Steelers will be tight against the cap until the new TV money kicks in.
  25. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Like you said, they somehow just managed to clear 25 million off the cap in about 2 weeks.

So far they have yet to make even ONE significant cut.

Rumor has it that Polamalu is up next for restructuring. That and one expected move like cutting Hampton, Farrior, or Ward will get them the wiggle room that they need to sign Wallace.

I'm not seeing any 'talented' players that they are losing, and they were pretty much in cap hell.

Just another example (along with the NYJ) that proves how overrated cap problems can be. Yes they will be tight against the cap next year too for one more year, but when you consider the fact that they will likely accomplish everyone they wanted to it's rather impressive.
  26. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I am 100% convinced that he isn't fit for this offense. The NEP play the total opposite of the backyard football scheme that Pittsburgh and Roethlisberger play.

The benefits that I could see are the ability to bring attn to himself, drawing some double teams at times. That would tend to offer a solution to the 'stretch the field' problems that we've had with our main 4 guys (Welker, Hernandez, Branch, Gronkowski) who don't run many routes over 15-20 yds. He also would likely add to the RAC yardage total on some plays, and make a handful of big plays every so often.

I have to believe that the Wallace talk is complete fantasy, and I also assume that Belichick would never make such a move. Even better, I actually think that Pittsburgh finds a way to keep him this yr too. Just an opinion though, as eveyone has a different view on this.
  27. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Pittsburgh seems to be heading towards what Indy did,that is pay a few high priced players while not really looking to what damage could be done on the bottom of that roster when the money simply cannot be spent elsewhere anymore and what you are left with is a few handfuls of Pro Bowl players with tons of talent and left with the majority of the roster as a bunch of JAGs to keep the ship afloat.

The Rooney family is one of the best and smartest ownership in all of sports and if they do sacrifice a lot to keep Wallace,that would be surprising....somehow,someway they keep Wallace and stay competitive with the cap and on the field with talent.

That's what separates great ownership from horrible ones.

With that being said,I hate the Steelers with every ounce of blood in me and I hope keeping Wallace and sacrificing others ends up as one bad mistake for them.
  28. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Again the guy is 31 and i would stay away from him if you are planning to go through the development phase for 1 to 2 yrs.I think he will be lining up against revis/cromatie or davis/sean in our division in 4 games. all 4 are bigger/stronger/physical corner back. I think he more of a gaffney with a little more speed then anything .You put a physical corner and beat him he will be done.In the afc east you need to matchup against these corners on the outside.In our division outside guys need not be burners but have to be strong and taller on a pure matchup .The goal is create issues for even the bigger corners in our division with size and speed.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  29. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

When has Jabbar Gaffney gotten over 1400 yards and 11 TDs in a season? Gaffney was on the same Broncos team as Lloyd the year that Lloyd put up those stats and Gaffney got 875 yards and 2 TDs. Lloyd is a proven legitimate #1 WR in McDaniels' system while Gaffney isn't.

I also disagree with your premise of the needs. Yes, a big physical guy might have a better shot against Revis, but the Pats can do just fine with a legitimate #1 WR who requires the top CB of any team to shadow even if they effective against them. If Revis is shadowing Lloyd all game, that will leave mismatches for Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. What hurt the Pats this year at times is that they did not have a legitimate outside threat and opposing teams could put their best CBs on Welker or Hernandez or Gronk.

If you are looking for a big physical WR, than neither Lloyd nor Wallace fit the bill. You need to look at Vincent Jackson. Steve Johnson, or Dwayne Bowe (if they don't get franchised). A big, physical WR would be nice to have, but I don't think it is crucial to significantly help this receiving corp. Adding a legitimate #1 WR threat of any kind will only give Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez (and even whoever the #3 WR is) more opportunities to make plays.
  30. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe in a different year, Belichick may be willing to use a first rounder and pay Wallace top WR money to come here; but I can't see him doing it this year for a number of reasons.

First, this year's free agency is flushed with good/great WRs. Dwayne Bowe is likely to be franchised and unavailable, but it is looking good that Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Mario Manningham, Marques Colston, Robert Meachum, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Gracon, and Larent Robinson won't be franchised. Plus, Brandon Lloyd really wants to play for the Pats. At least 4-5 of those guys are legitimate #1 WRs and could be top 5-10 WR with Brady throwing to them (or higher in some cases).

Second, you have the Wes Welker factor. How are you going to give up so much for Wallace and then ask Welker to take a deal for about or less than Santonio Holmes got on a per year basis? Odds are the WR the Pats add will be making less than Welker which would rule out Wallace. Still leaves most of the other guys.

I think we are in agreement that Wallace may be the wrong fit to begin with. So the argument is kinda moot.

Personally, I would pay Lloyd and possibly go after a second tier free agent WR too. If the Pats are going to use a first round pick on an RFA, use it on Ladarius Webb and shore up the Pats' secondary.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.