PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Vrabel to Join Bill O'Brien as LB coach for Houston Texans

Great opportunity for a very smart player

As a Buckeyes fan, Mike Vrabel was not just a good LBs coach, but also helped in the recruitment of high school players across the country.

I obviously would've preferred that he'd have stayed at OSU or possibly even ended up here in a couple/few years. Good luck to him at HOU, as he has a nice opportunity there on Bill O'Brien's new staff.

LOVE it. Congrats to him.

He'll be a DC in 3 yrs and a head coach in 5 yrs.......if he wants it...

I'll always have good memories of Vrabel and I wish him all the best...unless his team is playign the Patriots.

Wish we could have someone like him to line up during goal line situations (as a TE on offense).

I wouldn't mind seeing "Mike Vrabel, HC, New England Patriots" some day. :)

But in the short run, this hurts the Pats. . . . among other things, he was one of the reasons the Pats drafted Nate Ebner.

And, FWIW, he was a really, really good recruiter at Ohio State.

This is part of the reason that Josh might not have accepted a HC job. He would have competed for assistants with O'Brien.

But in the short run, this hurts the Pats. . . . among other things, he was one of the reasons the Pats drafted Nate Ebner.

I'm a real fan of Vrabel. Super player during his time with New England and came across as a genuine, thoughtful guy. He's one of those guys that always appear to have success following them.

I'll bet Belichick is kicking himself for not luring him back to NE

Albeit, not as a coach, but to play LB/TE Saturday night.

Judging by Belichick's lack of draft interest from the school, we may as well just cross all Buckeyes off the list right now. Even with Vrabel at OSU, Belichick didn't seem to think too highly of anyone outside of Ebner in years, right? Unless I'm forgetting someone, which is certainly possible. It seems like some schools just aren't of interest to Belichick, and schools like OSU and Clemson both fit that mold. Maybe it's just a bit of a coincidence?

The fact that buddy Urban Meyer is the head coach now could make somewhat of a difference of course and it could offset the loss of Vrabel (not that I think it matters that much, of course) on some level.

I would be somewhat interested in a guy like big bruising RB Carlos Hyde, especially if LeGarrette Blount moves on in free agency. Aside from that, the only other areas I would be interested in would be the trenches (probably leaning more OL rather than DL), and also LB Ryan Shazier. Actaully, I'd be interested in knowing whether or not Shazier could potentially fill that very elusive hybrid LB/S role that we've been lookng for, although I'm not sure about the specifics of that possibility. Other than that, I'd think that first rounders like CB Bradley Roby may be looked over, as I'm not as personally sold on him as a pure 1st rounder as much as some others are.

I'll be flat out honest. I'd much rather Vrabel over McDaniels as the HC of the Patriots someday

I'll be flat out honest. I'd much rather Vrabel over McDaniels as the HC of the Patriots someday

Agreed. As far as offensive minded coaches, I wouldn't want anyone else rather than McDaniels right now. His knowledge of the offense here and chemistry with Brady are second to none.

However, it's his overall potential to coach and manage both the offense and the defense, along with all of the smaller nuances that go into making a good all around head coach that would concern me; at least at this point in time anyway.

Maybe, but Vrabel will have to prove himself by working his way up the chain and eventually becoming a successful defensive (offensive?) coordinator. He definitely has the smarts.

Judging by Belichick's lack of draft interest from the school, we may as well just cross all Buckeyes off the list right now.

I'm not even talking specifically about OSU players; I mean just the fact that he can't use Vrabel as a source of information.

Of course, with O'Brien collecting Brian Ferentz and now Vrabel, Texans fans have to worry about the possibility of a mass defection to New England in a few years. ;)

Judging by Belichick's lack of draft interest from the school, we may as well just cross all Buckeyes off the list right now. Even with Vrabel at OSU, Belichick didn't seem to think too highly of anyone outside of Ebner in years, right? Unless I'm forgetting someone, which is certainly possible. It seems like some schools just aren't of interest to Belichick, and schools like OSU and Clemson both fit that mold. Maybe it's just a bit of a coincidence?

The fact that buddy Urban Meyer is the head coach now could make somewhat of a difference of course and it could offset the loss of Vrabel (not that I think it matters that much, of course) on some level.

I would be somewhat interested in a guy like big bruising RB Carlos Hyde, especially if LeGarrette Blount moves on in free agency. Aside from that, the only other areas I would be interested in would be the trenches (probably leaning more OL rather than DL), and also LB Ryan Shazier. Actaully, I'd be interested in knowing whether or not Shazier could potentially fill that very elusive hybrid LB/S role that we've been lookng for, although I'm not sure about the specifics of that possibility. Other than that, I'd think that first rounders like CB Bradley Roby may be looked over, as I'm not as personally sold on him as a pure 1st rounder as much as some others are.

Greg Schiano will be finding a job soon and the pipeline will be restored :)

Re: Vrabel to Join O'Brien in Texas

I've always assumed he'd end up as OSU head coach. Vrabel answers the call to coach | The Columbus Dispatch illustrates the connection.

I guess that still can't be ruled out, but he's definitely pro caliber. Smart (pre-med in college), football smart, tough, into accountability, but also funny and charismatic. Coach's son, sort of. (His father, now a high school principal, did some assistant coaching.)

He also has played more positions well on the football field than any other modern player I can think of.

I'd be delighted if he were BB's ultimate successor.

My memory is he thought he would prefer college coaching to pro-coaching based on less hours. I wonder whether he was working just as hard as the pros under Meyers at OSU and decided he might as well go to the pros. I think he will do well.

As a Buckeyes fan, Mike Vrabel was not just a good LBs coach, but also helped in the recruitment of high school players across the country.

I obviously would've preferred that he'd have stayed at OSU or possibly even ended up here in a couple/few years. Good luck to him at HOU, as he has a nice opportunity there on Bill O'Brien's new staff.

He was also a great college player and a big time stud for the Patriots

"Vrabel twice set the Ohio State single season record for sacks and tackles for loss (TFL) and he still holds school records for career sacks (36) and single season and career TFLs (26 in 1995 and 66). He ranks third all-time in the Big Ten in sacks and sixth in TFLs. "

As a new Columbus resident and with a loose connection with a drug rep who played QB when Vrabes was in high school...I was on my way to hopefully meeting him sometime...but not now!
I too wish he would have stayed to bring some stoutness to the OSU defense. He would have helped bring in some great players.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back