PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Vrabel - Am I The Only One Who Thinks He Sucks as a Pass Rusher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
because he dissappears against good competition, elite teams, and only does good against scrubs usually. He can be upgraded without question. Groves or Gholston would probably put his butt on the bench or in retirement (probably not initially because he is BB's butt-buddy, but sooner rather than later). Ill take Jason Taylor for a 2nd-3rd over them all and draft a stud corner in DRC.

It's pretty obvious that you haven't looked at the stats. First, Vrabel had some of his best games against good opponents and second, although I like Jason Taylor, if you eliminate his second NE game, he was non-existent against anyone who had a record better than 5 wins. BTW, I'm looking at regular season since it's the only way to really evaluate him against the league.

Last edited:
This thread is a F ing JOKE. Vrabel was our BEST defensive player last year. Sey had an off year, AD was learning the system, Rodney didnt make many big plays....go down the list. Vrabel SINGLE HANDEDLY won the Washington game, name me 1 other game that any defensive player WON the game!
The guy was finally left alone on the outside and what do you know....he got 12.5 sacks and made the pro bowl. He was better with Colvin on the field,true, but everyone on the defense was. He is a better pass rusher than AD, AD got all his sacks in the 4th quarter simply because he is in better shape than anyone on the field. That has nothing to do with TALENT, thats athleticism. AD also doesnt have that explosive first step that all great pass rushers have(he has long speed not short speed).
Vrabel has taken the home town discount, plays offense/defense/special teams...where ever he is needed, whatever he is asked to do. AND he NEVER GETS HURT!! Can you imagine what the defense would have been like if he was out for the season instead of Rosie?? If there is ONE GUY above having a bashing thread it would be him. This forum is getting disgraceful fast. We were 16-0, he was our BEST defensive player. Give the guy some respect!

because he dissappears against good competition, elite teams, and only does good against scrubs usually. He can be upgraded without question. Groves or Gholston would probably put his butt on the bench or in retirement (probably not initially because he is BB's butt-buddy, but sooner rather than later). Ill take Jason Taylor for a 2nd-3rd over them all and draft a stud corner in DRC.

Can I buy some pot from you???
Did you just say that an unproven DL/OLB is gonna de-throne Vrabel sooner rather than later. I'd like to introduce you to some people. This is Ryan Leaf, Brian Bozworth, Andre Ware, and Rashad Salam. They would like to talk to you about your ideas that good college player means good pro player

After that talk to Curtis Martin, Zach Thomas, and oh this guy you may have heard of him, Tom Brady

Despite the fact that our resident Miami jizz swallower here whinges about Taylor and co. he does raise a valid point about Vrabel being much better on the inside.

Well put. How come OsloRhino is 'on the roster' and I am on the practice squad?
Who does, I mean WHAT does one have to do to be 'on the roster?'

This thread is a F ing JOKE. Vrabel SINGLE HANDEDLY won the Washington game, name me 1 other game that any defensive player WON the game!

Was that the same Washington game where the offense scored two hundred and seventeen points?

I like Vrabel--a lot--but "SINGLE HANDEDLY won the Washington game"?

Hyperbole much?

You've moved beyond embarrassing yourself, now you're embarrassing the rest of us.

You were relatively comedic for a time; now it's no longer funny. Please stop now before you do more harm to yourself.

So, now you are saying that Hobbs and Samuel created those sacks? Got news for you, they didn't.

Also, if you are going to say that Vrabel's sacks were "coverage" sacks, then I will say that Thomas' were also coverage sacks. You want to know what the difference is? I know that my saying it wouldn't make it any more true than you saying it.

Geez ... I feel like rodney dangerfield ... no respect :rofl:

Mike Vrabel is a very good pass rusher. It is unbelievable to me how many truly CRAPPY threads are currently in circulation. I really don't want to just b!tch about so many of them, but this is ludicrous.

It's called create controversey or just talk sh!t ... make something up if needed.
Anything other than Matt Walsh, spygate and tomasse looks heavenly to me.;)

NUT, I don't know what you're taking but I don't want any.

Putting my Homer feelings aside. Vrabes is a good pass rusher. Sacks are one of the most useless stats,IMO. Varbs does a great job in setting the edge. Vrabs always seems to be in the picture PRESSURING the QB, that is the most important stat.

He didn't have a good SB and I'll give you that. However one game does not make an entire season.

So, I don't know where you thoughts are that he is not a good pass rusher. But I'll fight to defend your right to have such misguided thoughts.:cool:

2 Nuts to a sack works for me too. :p

It drives me crazy to hear Pass Rusher and Mike Vrabel linked together. he is flat out horrible IMO. 9.5 sacks against squat teams is a useless statistic. He has one move and only one move every snap ... the lower your shoulder bullrush to the QB. All season long he was driven 10 yards behind the QB play after play.
I remember a pretty good spin move he put on Chargers' right tackle Clary that led to a clear shot at Rivers in the AFCCG (he whiffed though but still got a trip in that led to the Samuel interception). I like Vrabel, plays hard, never talks trash.

pao

It drives me crazy to hear Pass Rusher and Mike Vrabel linked together. he is flat out horrible IMO. 9.5 sacks against squat teams is a useless statistic. He has one move and only one move every snap ... the lower your shoulder bullrush to the QB. All season long he was driven 10 yards behind the QB play after play.

I think Vrabel is a great player and a damn fine linebacker ... but not as a pass rusher .. please .. I'd rather have vince wilfork bullrushing the QB ... at least he won't be 10 yards behind the QB play after play after play.

why does it bother me so much? It's like a player who is always on the ground ... you can't get into a play if your not in position to make a play. At least as an ILB Vrabel was in or near the play to make a play. But being 5-10 yards behind the QB play after play is no way to help your teamates after a pass or a run...not his fault either. He's doing what was asked of him ... but really ... I hope the pass rushing days of Mike vrabel are behind us for 2008-2009.

Yes you are/

I'm going to guess he was battling an injury down the stretch. He was invisible in the Super Bowl. Given the pressure Thomas was getting and how effective he was at flushing Manning out, if Vrabel gets his normal pressure, Manning gets sacked probably 3 different occasions on that drive. I'm going to give Vrabel the benefit of the doubt. I also think that AD was somewhat inadequate when first switched to OLB, and as documented, Vrabel's production suffered from that.

It would be nice to get a situational pass rushing monster like Groves, but Clady currently sits atop my draft wishlist, making getting Groves pretty impossible.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks this question is only brought up because of systems. Let's face it when people think of pass rushers they think of guys like Freeney. The 4-3 defensive end. Not to minimize their position but they are not asked to do as much as a 3-4 OLB.

So basically what I am saying is that even if he did suck as a pass rusher that is only part of his job. Judge him by the whole body of his work.

Oh Yeah by the way if you ask me he is one hell of a pass rusher.

The 4-3 defensive end. Not to minimize their position but they are not asked to do as much as a 3-4 OLB.

So basically what I am saying is that even if he did suck as a pass rusher that is only part of his job.

But in a 3-4 the OLBs are responsible for the pass rush, that is a huge part of their job description. It's why Pats fans are looking at ends like Gholston, Long, Groves, Avril and hoping on seeing any one of them as 3-4 OLBs in the Patriots system.

Your argument would hold true for the DL. Seymour, Warren, Wilfork - their job description does not call for a fierce pass rush, emphasis is placed on taking up space and blocks. But not the OLB, 3-4 OLBs are most certainly judged by their pass rush.

But in a 3-4 the OLBs are responsible for the pass rush, that is a huge part of their job description. It's why Pats fans are looking at ends like Gholston, Long, Groves, Avril and hoping on seeing any one of them as 3-4 OLBs in the Patriots system.

Your argument would hold true for the DL. Seymour, Warren, Wilfork - their job description does not call for a fierce pass rush, emphasis is placed on taking up space and blocks. But not the OLB, 3-4 OLBs are most certainly judged by their pass rush.

This thread is insane. Vrabel had 12.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles. He did a great job this year, ESPECIALLY as a pass-rusher. Up is down, down is up.

This thread is insane. Vrabel had 12.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles. He did a great job this year, ESPECIALLY as a pass-rusher. Up is down, down is up.

I'd like to point out that this thread is 5-6 pages long of Patriot discussion not centered around spywalshgoodspecgate.

I believe it's what the OP had in mind, and it worked well.

:rocker:

unbelievable. Some of you guys are too much. :) Vrabel is a good player but he is way overated. Waaaaay overated. Probably the most overated Pats player on the team. He gets manhandled by any good tackle. His best move is falling to the ground infront of the tackle and crawling to the QBs ankles.

Wow, just wow.
To answer the question, Vrabel is a good pass rusher.
To say he only got sacks against "scrubs" is totally STUPID STUPID STUPID.
Talk of Vrabel ridind the bench is STUPID STUPID STUPID.
I think I'm going to start doing what some others here have been doing and start calling people morons and idiots when I feel it's justified.
I read some stuff in this thread that was STUPID and MORONIC.
I hope some of the stupid does'nt give me brain damage.
No more mister nice guy.

unbelievable. Some of you guys are too much. :) Vrabel is a good player but he is way overated. Waaaaay overated. Probably the most overated Pats player on the team. He gets manhandled by any good tackle. His best move is falling to the ground infront of the tackle and crawling to the QBs ankles.

Do you wear a floppy hat with bells, and big oversized shoes while you do your act?

I'm quoting this because I want to be sure that everyone sees it, and sees who it was written by. I want to make sure you get full credit for this one.
Way to go tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back